PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
New Year's Eve finds me in a hotel in Columbus, Montana. The roads have been icy and hazardous since I left Idaho, but I have managed to get this far by just taking it slow and easy.
I normally make a point of not driving past early afternoon on New Year's Eve due to the spike in drunk driving on this day. I rented myself a smoking suite for the night, brought in a few pipes and tobaccos, and picked up some beer at the store next door. I am pretty much set for a quiet, peaceful end to the year.
I really haven't any desire to note the passing of the year in a noisy crowd of drunken strangers. A quiet evening in seems far more desirable to me. Besides, smoking in bars is not permitted in Montana any more but I can smoke as many bowls as I like here in my suite.
Speaking of which, I rented a room in Rocker, Montana last night. I knew it was going to get extremely cold and just didn't want to spend the night in my truck. They have a nice little lounge with friendly people. As it was getting brutally cold outside I opened the door to my room and told my fellow smoking bar patrons that they were free to use my room to go and smoke instead of standing outside freezing.
Several of them accepted my offer, and a couple of them even bought me a beer. The hotel owner also bought me a couple of rounds.
Tomorrow I will head out at a reasonably early hour and try to knock out as many miles as I can. My goal is to reach the truck stop near my destination as early on Sunday as possible. I don't think that will be too much trouble as it is only 830 miles from here. The weather will be the biggest issue.
I'll worry about that tomorrow, for tonight I will just relax, enjoy a few bowls, a few beers, and perhaps order in a pizza later.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Enjoy your evening. I plan on peace and quiet myself. Gave up the party scene decades ago. Take care on the road tomorrow. I just read about a 100 car pile up in ND.

Art

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
There's a good pipe shop in billings monatana ....if your looking.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Stay safe man, thats probably what my night is gonna be like, a few pipes, some coffee, maybe a drink or two and then keepin it on the down low.
Just the way I like it! Stay safe on the road tomorrow brother.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
May you have a safe and good evening this New Year's eve.

It was a grand gesture to make your room available to others

who smoke. Uncommon and generous. Good for you!

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
I like your style. A few beers, a few bowls...a great way to usher in the New Year.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Happy new years sounds like you are making the best of it. Be careful out there.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Best wishes for a safe and Happy New Year Pipetrucker! It certainly is a good idea to let the amateurs have the road for the rest of the night.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Experience is a great teacher in knowing when to hole up for the night and be in the same number of pieces as you started the day in. Indeed this is amateur night at the various watering holes. I too tend to leave the roads to them at such momentous occasions. Hope you stay safe in your travels pipetrucker and may your road be straight and easy to navigate.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Yes you can access it with the rig,sorta. Its in the 'best buy' plazza....I think its king ave. If you come up from the back side, you can park along the curb.....I think there's a pet smart in there too........can't think of the name right now.
Are you familiar with the area ?

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Tobacco Row on King ave, north of I-90 , park along the curb by the petsmart.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
New Year's eve the wife and I went out to dinner (Vietnamese food) and were home by 10. At midnight we toasted the new year, cianti for her and hot chocolate for me... I'm a real sophisticate as you can see. She just went to bed and I'm here at the computer having a pipe. That's what I call a good new years celebration.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love these posts Pipetrucker, I hope your night was as desired.

Mine was good too.

Spent the evening into the wee hours with the future in-laws.

The wife and I must be lucky... we actually like the the futures.

We had a shrimp boil with corn, taters, smoked sausage and onions. Mmmmmmm good.

Then we toasted the New Year with a flute of Cheap Champaign and lubricated the night with a slow but steady flow of Ezra Brooks neat, with a Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale chaser while I cleaned'em out at the poker table.

Status
Not open for further replies.