PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2015
My name is G, long time lurker but first time introduction!
My papaw gifted me 4 briars and an SMS Meerschaum in 2009 right before HS graduation. I've smoked some nasty aromatics here and there over the years but never anything that didn't have caramel, honey, butter, or rum in the blend name!
My wife and I are studying language overseas and I had brought one of my pipes, a Willard billiard, but had run out of ...Butter Rum, and pipe tobacco isn't available in this country. We were passing through the Hong Kong airport about six months ago and I found some Dunhill Early Morning Pipe in a duty-free shop. It was about $18 U.S. but I went ahead and bought it. Like I mentioned, I'd never tried anything like it before. Fast forward a few weeks and I cracked open the tin. Wow! Definitely not a buttered rum! I smoked a few bowl of it, got a nasty N kick one night and went to bed sick. Almost threw the can out but thought i would give it another try and ask the almighty Google for some help. Google led me here, I found that I enjoyed the EMP quite a lot, and it's been an adventure ever since.
I won't be back to the states for a few weeks but I did manage to get myself a Ben Wade poker and a Dr. Plumb Dinky off of eBay, shipped to me.

The TAD hit a little bit, I realized Smoking Pipes ships overseas, and I was ecstatic!

So far I've had:

-1Q (Like it a lot for the everyday, and so does my wife!)

-McC Just Plain Nut

-Frog Morton ( The latakia is nice, very full and definitely different for me. )
Waiting back in Texas for me to try in a few weeks:

-Squadron Leader

-Escudo

-Frog Morton Bayou

-More EMP

-MM 965

-GLP Chelsea Morning

-FM across the pond

-McC Holiday Spirit 2014 ( saving this one for next Christmas!)
I'm soaking up as much info as I can now, smoking 1-3 a day, and very much enjoying it. Hopefully I can find a used Old Boy and I'm calling it quits for a little while!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome to the forum, and safe travels. Sounds like you are off to a good start, and have an excellent selection of tobaccos to start with!
Duane

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nice to hear your story so far. Sounds like you're having fun, and trust me, there are so many tobaccos to try you'll find a lot more fun in the future.

Old Boy is a nice lighter, but if you smoke outside a lot, you might want to add a Zippo pipe lighter to your accessories, as it's quite wind resistant.

Oh, and good luck with calling it quits for a while... :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'aggie, welcome aboard. That's an interesting pipe smoking history. Sounds like you might be pretty nicotine sensitive, so go slow trying blends. Non-aromatics tend to be a little, or a lot, higher in nicotine, so maybe do a test smoke with a partial bowl or small bowl. You may develop a tolerance, or you may not. Interesting life! Enjoy that treasure trove of leaf awaiting you. I'm mostly a non-aromatic guy myself, but I'm always reminding Forums that the aromatic buyers keep the pipe tobacco market going, far and away more aromatic than non- sold, it appears.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome to PM. There are lot of Texas bro's here. We look forward to hearing what you think about the blends you have in stock.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like you're on the way to some good smoking enjoyment. Welcome to you. :puffy:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Welcome aboard. (And hi, Monty! Monry56 gave me an exquisite pipe rack a while ago.) Is it true Texans smoke only big pipes? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.