New to the website, just started pipe smoking. Any pointers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdjacobsen1

Lurker
Nov 5, 2014
I have just recently ordered two pipes and some blended tobacco, and I stumbled upon this fantastic sight. I need pointers please gents.:) Good day there guys.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
You will come across many opinions in the pipe smoking world. My advice is to try everything and see what works for YOU. Also, give everything a bit of time and be patient.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Welcome aboard and post often. Ask specific questions and I am sure you will get timely advice.

My cheap advice is to use wooden matches to light up a bowl. Old school admonition.

All the best to you.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Search search search. If you thought of it as a newbie someone else did too. Search the forums, if you don't find what you are looking for just ask. Some free pointers

1. Slow down. whatever pace you are smoking now...slow down (tongue burn...it will happen)

2. Packing takes practice just keep at it

3. Don't take everyting people say here as gospel. as Ken says above^^^ do what works for you... try what others have suggested, but make up your own mind. (Briar, Meer or Cob... Aro's, english, or Burley.. etc.)
I've been on here a year and a half..still learning from these great folks on here.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Hello and welcome from another newbie!
I'm still in the very early stages, but stuff that has worked for me so far:
1: Prince Albert and Carter Hall tobaccos. Very taste and very easy to keep lit

2: Everyone will tell you to pack lighter than you think you need to. Pay attention. Even if you think you're already packing insaleny light.

3: Get a Cob. In my experience, WAY more forgiving than briars.

4: Keep a glass of water handy while smoking. this'll also help you to slow down a bit.
And don't get discouraged. Well it's almost guaranteed you're gonna get discouraged, but don't give up. Unless you're a natural, you're in for a world of frustration, tongue burn and soggy dottle at the beginning, but when things start working out, it'll be an extremely rewarding experience.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Read and listen to advice and try it out but ultimately you will just find your own way of doing things. best thing is there isn't really right and wrong just what works best for you.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
+1 for taking your time. And be open minded, you'll never know what you like or don't untill you put some fire to it. Reviews are great and can be helpful, but there isn't any tongue just like yours so don't put to much stock in the reviews. Especially those that favor a hard like or dislike conclusion. The most helpful ones are the ones that speak about the different nuances and fllavors that appear during a smoke.

Remember to enjoy yourself, that's the whole point.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Bank your fire and provide a modest, intermittent draft. Keep the coals just hot enough to maintain and don't forget to tamp lightly once in awhile. A pipe requires a certain commitment, involving your time and patience.

Ultimately you may learn how to better enjoy that time and develop contentment via patience.

jdjacobsen1

Lurker
Nov 5, 2014
This is all great information from you all, I recently purchased an old army 21 pipe with a wind cap and I am waiting for a blend I made online. I've always been interested in pipe smoking and I've always thought of it as a classy action. I do not understand though how someone could be so discouraged as to stop, is it in the pipe or the tobacco itself? Or maybe a combination of the both? I find all of the advice given very useful and can see much experience from all of you! Thank you all for your time to help a young guy like me out, I've never been on a site quite like this and I can see it shall be rewarding. I am patiently waiting for my tobacco to arrive today, so hopefully I will get to see what it's like before I mosey on to work. Thanks guys all of this was helpful, and I've ordered a tamper for myself as well, now I'm looking for a good travel bag to take with me wherever I go. Is there a specific time to tamper a bowl? Like before smoking tobacco, (like pressing it down, or just enough to have it not too loose so the ash and such don't fly everywhere) or maybe during a tiny break before I start up again? I'm quite excited to start this and have always wanted to make myself a pipe, or maybe blend my own tobacco. I'll tell you all how my adventure goes by the end of today! Have a great day and a happy smoke there everyone! Good morning!

jdjacobsen1

Lurker
Nov 5, 2014
Also, tell me my friends if I may be so polite to ask, how did everyone find out about pipe smoking, or got started, I'm very interested to know. Good day there everyone!

jdjacobsen1

Lurker
Nov 5, 2014
To gigger48 I ordered a mixture of toasted black Cavendish, toasted burley, a cherry flavor(burley,Cavendish,and virginia) and a vanilla flavor(burley, Cavendish, and Virginia.) I also have an old army 21 from Mr. Brog and an amigo no. 51 also by Mr. Brog.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
My advice, newbie to newbie, don't get discouraged when something doesn't work right. Just get on here and ask. :puffy: Welcome to the best place on planet Earth for pipe smokers!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
welcome to the forum! Be adventurous in your piping, be patient, experiment, do your research and most of all enjoy! Over time you will learn to love pipe smoking more and more each day. Ask questions, there are a lot of great people on this site with tons of information. Good luck!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome jdjacobsen1. Believe it or not, there's a lot more to pipesmoking than meets the eye. I would recommend watching some YouTube vids to get an idea of different ways to pack a bowl, tamping techniques, choosing a tobacco.
You're about to embark on a wonderful hobby and it's worth getting the basics right to maximize your enjoyment. Many a beginner has quit due to a poor start.
And of course, stick around the forums. There's always lots of excellent advice to be found.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Welcome jdjacobsen1. My advice is that don't get discouraged when something doesn't work right and it will go wrong. Just try and try again. Learn from setbacks and with time and practice you will get it right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start out lighting your pipe with matches. In fact I'd stay with matches. But at least for a start. It's a softer flame

and will give you a better feel for lighting up various blends. I'd recommend wooden matches.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@jdjacobsen1 - Welcome to PM.com! +1 to the above, particularly the recommendation to work on packing and cadence. Also the use of invaluable tools like YouTube and the learning aids on here (see the vertical entries on the LHS of the page and the beginners forum). There is a combination of 100s of years of pipe experience on PM.com and a wide range of interests but - in the end - pipe smoking is an individual pastime; it's all about what works for you. www.tobaccoreviews.com is a fantastic site to find out more about blends, but be aware that the reviews are variable in quality. Stick with highly rated reviewers (you can search by a range of factors, including user) like jiminks, DK, pipestud and you'll learn an enormous amount. Enjoy!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.