PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Me and SWMBO went antiquing the other day (bad idea) but some good did come of it, found this with a few beat up cobs in a section labeled "pick your pipe $5" there was another Dr. Grabow there also but the steam was broken off, no thanks.
This is stamped "Dr Grabow Viscount" and "Imported Briar Adjustomatic Pat 2461905"
I found very vague information on this so if anyone could chime in with a little bit I would appreciate it. Also as you see I did my best getting all of that char off of the rim but I stopped when the Q-Tip started to come out orange in fear I would start to see wood, that's the last thing I want to see! I also reamed, retorted, and de-oxidized the stem... Oh... And got rid of the cobwebs that were in the bowl!!! Yes, cobwebs!! It should turn out to be a nice flake smoker, tomorrow will be its maiden voyage if I find the time.
BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks for looking and happy lunting!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I used to have one of those......smoked it once a gave it away. But now that I smoke in my truck it probably wouldn't be a bad truck pipe.
Well I hope I don't have the experience you obviously had with it if you have it away after one smoke. It seems like a good construction workers pipe too :rofl: really match their orange shirts and hard hats!!
Also, anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the rim up more? The saliva and Q-Tip got me that far but it seems stained

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Also, anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the rim up more? The saliva and Q-Tip got me that far but it seems stained
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. He makes an extra strength one, too. Go with that. I just used half of one on a couple stems, and the stummel of an estate pipe I got today, which was pretty nasty.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Redbeard, I think you did a good job cleaning off the rim. I had the same problem with the white one I posted earlier. I started (gingerly) with with a nail file, switched to a micromesh pad then spit on a cotton pad finishing with a white diamond buff. Now I'm afraid to smoke it because I don't want to have to go through all that again!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't think you'll be able to get that rim looking much better than what you have it. Once the paint is charred it is not possible to get the color back to looking like the rest of the bowl.

Buffing with white diamond can help.
Regular cleaning with spit on a Q-tip will keep it looking good as long as you don't use a blow torch to light it.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
That's for the tips all, I will see where/what that white diamond stuff is and give it a try. I just don't want to remove the paint and it look worse than it does. I usually can keep my rims looking real nice, I use a zippo pipe lighter with no problems what so ever.
I am about to light her up with some orlik golden sliced :puffy:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I almost bought the same one on ebay the other day. I like the orange pipe
And at $5 you can't beat it!! It is smoking this orlik like a champ too!! I have had trouble enjoying this stuff in my other pipes but as they say, find the right pipe for the right tobacco. I believe I have!
I also like the orange, it was very different and stood out on the rack, so I grabbed it up, it is the most unusual one I have that's for sure!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Oh wow, so the twist off stem is great also!! I tend to over tamp at times and did just now and clogged the thing, well... A quick twist of the stem and sent my poker down and fixed that right up quick! That was sure easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.