PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dntrose

Lurker
Mar 10, 2019
I'm new to English blends so I bought some Sutliff match 965 and am enjoying it in the mornings.

Are there any other brands anyone would recommend? I'm getting away from aromatics so I'd like a little variety.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Try out some Balkans too, Bengal Slices and SPC Plum Pudding are excellent. Nightcap Match is a good smoke, but I've never had genuine nightcap so I can't say how good of an alternative it is. MO American Patriot is a good cheaper knockaround English, and if you're feelin' 'froggy' grab some McClellands on eBay (Pun intended)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're looking for a mild and extra refined blend, I'd suggest Nat Sherman 536. Other good ones among the many include C&D Tuggle Hall and Sutliff Lord Nelson. I just took delivery of a century-old English blend, Presbyterian, which is a fairly popular light-on-the-Lat English blend. But there are many, including some full strength blends, and you'll enjoy trying them over time, but take your time. I think it helps to rotate genres so you don't get tired of any particular one. A great deal in a genuine tub English blend is PC Home and Hearth Midtown Series, the only English blend in the series, Chestnut, which is a match to the discontinued Walnut, and which can be sampled in a baggie sized portion before you commit to a tub. Have fun!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I still prefer the way the English make English blends but there are some good American and Danish English blends around.
My favorite English English/Balkan blends:
Samual Gawith Skiff Mixture

(Germain’s) Smokers Haven Exotique

Esoterica’s Margate
Danish:
Arango Balkan Supreme
American:
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Bengal Slices

GL Pease Maltese Falcon
Just to name a few.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
In addition to the great suggestions so far I would add Robert McConnell Scottish Blend and Sutliff English Oriental (if you can find it). When I started really enjoying English style blends, I realized that it was the Latakia that was doing it for me. So I would also recommend Pirate Kake. I enjoy a good lat bomb every so often.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader is my current favourite English. Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury is nice for an "American-style" English with burley. Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap are both great if you can find them.

Mar 29, 2016
G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning (Old London Series)

G. L. Pease - Blackpoint (Classic Collection)

G. L. Pease - Quiet Nights (Old London Series)

Samuel Gawith - Balkan Flake

Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader

J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Special Latakia Flake

J. F. Germain & Son - King Charles Smoking Mixture

Hearth & Home - WhiteKnight (Marquee Series)

B&B Tobacconists, llc - Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard

Ashton - Consummate Gentleman
Now for some Latakia heavies:
Dan Tobacco - Old Ironsides (American History Mixtures)

Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture

Cornell & Diehl - Billy Budd (Melville At Sea)

Cornell & Diehl - Pirate Kake (Sea Scoundrels)

G. L. Pease - Abingdon (Classic Collection)

G. L. Pease - Gaslight (Old London Series)

Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earle's - Ten Russians
Some are harder to find than others.

dntrose

Lurker
Mar 10, 2019
Thank you everyone for the great responses. I will make a list from this thread and start ordering from the suggestions given. Looking forward to tasting some new tobacco in my pipe.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
x2 Margate. Much more available than the Esoterica unicorns. I also prefer English English blends. Pease blends are OK, but they all taste similar to me, the ones I have tried at least.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I remember when Dunhill and McClellands were being discontinued and people were worried about to ding replacements. You just have to look at it from the other perspective of having an opportunity to try some different blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.