PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Has anyone tried the rerelease of Stonehenge Flake? I have an aged tin of G.L. Pease Stonehenge which is the original but I've never smoked it yet and was wondering if the newly releases is the same or not, thanks in advance.

banjo

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I hear it is, but I haven't tried the new stuff. Only had a small amount of the old.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Thats a hard comp, the old is...well... old. I have no idea how much it may have changed, but I think we cam assume it has indeed changed.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I've had both now. The most significant differences were due to the 2001 version being well aged and the 2017 batch being 'fresher' and lacking the effects of maturing; otherwise I think in a few years, the differences between them will be mute. For myself, I will stash a few tins away for 2020 :)

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I think it's fantastic right out of the tin. I stashing some for the future for sure.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My 'fresh' Stonehenge Flake arrived this morning and I was surprised to see it liberally scattered with tiny crystals. A sign of age if I'm not mistaken.
I've not tried it yet (will do later in the evening) but yesterday my Louisiana Flake (said to be the same blend minus the Burley) arrived and I've smoked two bowls of that. Early days I know but at the moment I would rate it 6/10, let's hope the Stonehenge Flake is an improvement. Visually they are quite different with SF looking the more 'natural' product.
I have to ask, what on earth is 'cocoa' doing in a VaPer? :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's more like a dark chocolate undertone, and works well with the blend. Some tobaccos naturally impart a cocoa and coffee note to a blend, or a cigar. Not a bad pairing at all. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Duane, yes you are quite correct. Now I have smoked some Stonehenge Flake I would agree it was more of an undertone. However that cannot be said about Louisiana Flake where the cocoa is really quite prominent throughout the smoke.
See my comparison of the two on a separate thread.
Regards,
Jay.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
vQI8iS.gif

Everytime I hear of Stonehenge I can't help but think of this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, yes you are quite correct. Now I have smoked some Stonehenge Flake I would agree it was more of an undertone. However that cannot be said about Louisiana Flake where the cocoa is really quite prominent throughout the smoke.
See my comparison of the two on a separate thread.
Regards,
Jay.
Got it. Thought you were talking about the cocoa content in SF. Haven't tried LF, may have to order some and give it a go.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mssr. Fish: I reviewed the new Stonehenge and compared it with the old here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-revised-glp-stonehenge-review
As for the Louisiana Flake discussion, it is not the same as Stonehenge. LF has a little more cocoa, and a tad more perique.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"As for the Louisiana Flake discussion, it is not the same as Stonehenge. LF has a little more cocoa, and a tad more perique."
My findings precisely Jim though I thought the Perique was less in LF than in SF.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I just finished smoking the Louisiana Flake. While it is similar to Stonehenge, there are enough differences that I would say they are not the same. It has a little more perique. It has less cocoa and more Lakeland...
"LF has a little more cocoa, and a tad more perique."

Now you are confusing me Jim, more cocoa or less cocoa :?
Regards,
Jay.

marc75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2017
Mooresville NC
I've only smoked the new release. It's an excellent smoke. I will be cellaring a few tins for sure. As always another great tobacco by Pease

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jay: My mistake in using the wrong word. MORE cocoa is correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.