PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Hello,

I just started smoking pipes, about 3 months ago and I am totally lost on what tobacco I should smoke. Right now I smoke Captain Black but I want to try something new. I don't want to buy too much, I just want to make sure I like it, is there places online where I can buy like a few samples of tobacco? And if so can I even buy it (I live in the heavily regulated state of California)?

Thank You!

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks guys! That was fast! Any suggestions on brands or types, in lack of better terms?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Straight Virginia blends are not recommended for beginners, I would tend to agree. C&D has alot of great blends, I would take advantage of that and get some quality aromatics if you enjoy captain black

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Call Carole at Pipeworks & Wilke and talk to her about what you like. Let her recommend some blends.

http://www.vtpipes.com/
Yes, you have to call... she's old school.
Trust me, it will be worth it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are just graduating from Capt. Black, go easy at first. A few two ounce bulk packs from Cornell & Diehl, as Cortez suggests, might

be a way to start. Look for some of the low or medium strength blends -- English or aromatic, to your own taste. You could get three blends

with shipping for just above twenty bucks. Also, the 4Noggins sampler might be of interest, though I think that struggling to make your own

picks is good exercise for a new smoker. Don't buy a pound of the first tobacco you enjoy. Especially at the beginning, your tastes can change

fast. I'd finish all of a blend, and leave a grace period, before ordering more. A few other old favorites that are gentle and tasty are Lanes 1Q or LL-7,

Carter Hall, and Edward G. Robinson. None of these will give you a bad time, and you can get more adventurous as time goes on. The C&D

20% sale ends in July, so go ahead and order those if you want that discount.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There is a lot of room for debate. Some folks think flavored aromatic tobaccos are suitable for beginners;

others, myself included, believe that mild, natural (unflavored) tobaccos are best to start with.
rsuninv's suggestion of going to 4noggins may be a good idea because you can call Rich and ask him for suggestions.

He's very helpful, and he usually throws-in a free (!!) sample or two if you ask for them. His house blends are wonderful.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
A little like what Cortez said first. The answer to "which one" is ... "yes."
You got really good advice up above here. All I can add is my fresh memories of having converted from Captain Black myself.
I don't regret having tried any that I bought or were sent me by generous fellows on here. I liked learning the differences, seeing if I could tell the little nuances they were describing about them. The order that I tried them in, I don't think that mattered too much.
No wrong answers! For instance, someone said the English blends wouldn't appeal to a Captain Black smoker (me). I love 'em! Right from the start... I was saying, "Ooo... this is... goooood."
It so depends on the individual.
All that said, the first one my son really liked was Molto Dulce. It's sort of like tobacco candy. Better-than-Sex Cake for your pipe. Okay, so he has a sweet tooth. He didn't care for Seattle Club Plum Cake and New Minister 403 Superior Slices, interesting as it was, he smoked too fast and couldn't finish the bowl, grimmacing as he tried to cool his tongue with a Coke (oops -- I advise against dousing tongue bite with a Coke).
Whatever advice you get in your phone call, *taste* the selections. And if you don't like one at first, don't throw it away. My bet is, you'll come back to it.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks! I will definitely check out all of those routes! And I will take a phone call rather than an email any day of the week.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
I think I am going to get the 4noggins sampler, the Cornell & Diehl bulk tobacco selection is very overwhelming to me. I just can't decide whether to get the Aromatic, English, or Virginia. What is the difference between the three? Sorry for another noob question.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
As a relatively new pipe smoker myself I would recommend by varies types of the smallest quantities. If your new experience is anything like mine your taste will change dailt and you so not want to be left with a large quantity of something you may not like.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome to the forums ddavid! To your OP I'd have to agree with all of the above. Take each new sample and smoke them through to completion and journal your thoughts as you go. Later in your progression you will be glad that you did. Pipe smokers tastes change over time and your memory alone won't recall what you can record on paper.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on what Perique said. Carole may be old school, but she blends some of the finest tobaccos on planet earth. She will discuss your tastes with you and put together a sampler packet guaranteed to please.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the world of the pipe and the forums. You've gotten some pretty good advice, so far. I would simply add my usual advice: smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since you may be feeling overwhelmed by the number of blends, and their variety, try visiting Luxury Tobacco Reviews

On the home page, in the left hand column, you will find blend categories as they are commonly organized. It may help.
ScreenShotLTR.jpg

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Welcome to forum, ddavid. As a newb myself, I'm currently in the experimentation phase of finding good tobaccos. If you're liking the Captain Black you're already smoking, then my recommendations would be:
Sutliff's Molto Dolce, South Seas, and Blue Danube

Mac Baren Vanilla (I prefer the flake. If you haven't tried any flaked tobaccos, do it. They're pretty fun)

Stanwell Vanilla

C & D's Gentleman Caller (On the pricey side, but very tasty)
Whatever you get, make sure to try a few bowls before you give up on any of them. The time of day, the pipe you use, whatever you may be drinking, etc. can effect how a tobacco smokes and tastes. Another thing to keep in mind is smoking nice and slow. That factor alone has changed my opinion on lots of tobaccos I didn't like at first, but are now in my regular rotation.
Good luck!

Jul 29, 2014
I myself haven't ordered any tobacco online...yet. but I find it very easy and convenient to jump into a local tobacco store and poke my nose into all their jars and talk a lot to the proprietors. I can grab an ounce of this and that to try out from anywhere in the $3 to $7.00 area. As for online tobacco, I would need a lot of help myself from the more experienced folk here in the forums

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I have to go with Raveskeef and Perique Carole at P&W she is the sole blender, order taker, packer and shipper. You call the 1-800 # you get her and just explain you are new and she'll give you a sampler, a little pricey but if I had to eat beans every night I still would have my P&W blends! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.