PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasq

Lurker
Sep 4, 2013
I am quite new to pipe smoking. My first test run was about a year ago on a cheap pipe my GF got from a head shop. I recently developed an interest in the matter again and have fallen in love with it. So far I have a Kaywoodie Saxon, the Shire pipe from head shop and a recently acquired Tsuge Kaga that I picked up. I have smoked a LANE Bulk 1-Q, Peter St. 6 Sweet Vanilla and Peter St. 1 Natural. What I am looking for is some general guidance on where to go from here. I really only liked the 1-Q tobacco and am starting to get the hang of packing and smoking slowly to avoid the "tongue bite". I am very much a novice at this and would appreciate any advice on where to go from here.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're off to a good start, 1Q is great stuff, as far as an aromatic goes its hard to beat! If you're wanting to branch out, I'd suggest checking out some samplers on one of our sponsor sites like Pipes&Cigars.com. Try a few different things, like English/Balkan blends, Va/VaPer blends, Burleys and so on. Also, pick up some MM cob pipes, they're great for trying new blends, they smoke good, they're a cheap way to get a good rotation going and they're low maintenance. Good luck to you, and happy puffing!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome grasq. Forums is almost entirely advice (an opinions) so keep reading. Also the magazine itself

has quantities of information about pipes and tobacco useful and valuable to a new pipe smoker. Enjoy.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome, geasq. For information on blends check out the reviews on this site. Also check out www.tobaccoreviews.com
Speak with other pipe smokers and if you can get to a decent B&M ask someone there about recommendations for blends. People are always willing to help another pipe smoker. Good luck and happy smoke rings.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Here's two blend suggestions to combat tongue bite, they taste wonderful as well and are full of flavor. I have tried many many blends, but these two have no, and I mean no bite: (I have a super sensitive tongue so I know what you mean)
Frog Morton is a nice mild English that has been my favorite English blend for the last 3 years, it has zero tongue bite no matter how hard you puff it, the cellar is great too, in the process of comparing the two.
CAO Moontrance is a nice full flavored aromatic that has a nice Virginia base and also has absolutely no tongue bite no matter how hard you puff it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.
I will give my standard advice: smoke the best tobaccos, in the best pipes, you can afford.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome!
You've already heard all of the advice I'm qualified to give... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.