PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
I've had my corn cob pipe for a few months. I've smoked an ounce or two. I currently have 6 ounces of different tobacco. I heavily favor Lane's 1Q. I've got a Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe. I ordered a kit from pipesandcigars.com that comes with 6 captain black tobaccos and a pipe. It is called a "Castillero" pipe on the site, but I assume that is a misspelling of Casillero. I also ordered a couple random tobaccos. I figure for $19, it isn't a loss if the pipe is terrible.
My goal here is to decide what I like. I don't smoke cigarettes and never have. I do enjoy the occassional cigar (I've got a El Cohiba waiting for me in the humidor.) but I have no tolerance to nicotine to speak of.
I've got most of the starter type tobaccos and some I don't recognize (They are called things at the local shop, but they are 1Q and the like. I've got a cherry one and some other random stuff.)
I want to buy a really nice pipe (or 12, I might have a collection addiction). I wouldn't mind an old pipe. I don't care if it is used, but I would like to pick up a pipe that would allow me to appreciate what I am smoking fully. What should I be looking for? I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred on something that I truly appreciate.
Are there any military style pipes? I enjoy the old Irish pipe styles. I am very nostalgic.
I go to the auction a lot and there was a dozen pipes on a spindle a few weeks ago that went for $300. I talked to the winner afterwards and he said they were all about $150-200 used each. I see pipes there all the time. I don't know enough about pipes to bid on things like this without guidance. That leads me to here. I want to learn more. I assume if I posted a question about pipes here that I could probably get an opinion fairly quickly.
I am more interested in value than price. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be watching for?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Look up military mounts in Pipedia, and see how a military style pipe is constructed. The Peterson Irish Made Line of pipes have a military style mount, and are a good value. Many manufacturers make a military or army mount.

There are a gazillion pipemakers out there, and you can get a pipe in any price range that you want. GO for something that looks good to you, and jump in. I started out with a corncob and a Dr. Grabow, then moved up to Edwards pipes. Edwards, Peterson, Savinelli, Butz Choquin, Nording, all are good factory pipes with decent entry level prices. Briarworks Icarus and Neptune pipes are made here in the US, and the one I have is pretty nice. If you want to go better, then research some artisan pipe makers. There are dozens of them, and a hundred opinions of who is and isnt the best. This forum is full of them.

A good pipe shop should be willing to give you some help with the differences between Virginia, Perique, Burley, etc. FInding a pipe club in your area would be the best ticket.

Best thing to do, pick up a pipe, and start puffing!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hello and welcome to the site!
I think you are off to a great start. I don't know what a Casillero pipe is, but you can never go wrong with Missouri Meerschaum CC pipes! Instead of diving in and blowing 2 years of tax returns on pipes (like me), you may want to just deca-down (instead of double) and get a bag of smokeable seconds from Missouri Meerschaum. They are a site sponsor and easily the most cost effective way to sample a bunch of tobaccos. Bag 'o Pipes Here
I like where your head is at sampling a lot of tobaccos. That should never end. As you move from Aromatics to other types of tobacco (English, Virginias, Virginia/Periques, etc) You will want to use fresh pipes so as to not muddle the flavor. There is where having a bag 'o cobbs will come in handy again.
Also, journalling what you like and don't like is a good idea. That said, if you don't like a tobacco, jar it up and try it again in 6 months and again at 1 year. This will mellow out the tobacco and/or your palate will adjust and you may find you like it.
With regards to tobacco. I liken it to food. You have your amber waves of grain types as your salad (Virginias). You have your smokey meats (Englishes and Orientals). And your have your desert tobaccos, like the 1-Q (Aromatics). There is literally a tobacco for every taste proclivity you possess. If not, mix some together and make one that is right for you.
Once you have found some good tobaccos and done some research on pipes, there are a great many site sponsored places to acquire them. If you want to tackle ebay, Pipestud is a great seller and has auctions go off every Saturday.
Without seeing the pipes at your local auction and getting the brand and condition, there is no way of knowing what you were looking at. If you can, during previews, you can post on here what brands you are looking at and do your best to gauge condition (will require a fair bit of research) and people where will get you a good estimate of value if they are online.
I have to get out of the office now. Again, welcome to the site!
Oh, and as a final note: If you start buying a bunch of 1-2 oz sample tobaccos in baggies to try out, invest in mylar bags on ebay or small mason jars if you are not going to use up your tobacco within a month or so. It will keep the flavor and is the best way to store baccy.
~Wyfbane

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
realfloop', welcome aboard. You can buy an excellent pipe new or used for $200, but you need to do a lot of homework, shop a lot without buying anything, and ask good questions here and elsewhere to get the most out of your purchase. Meantime, a few MM cobs wills serve nicely as you find your taste in tobaccos. Buy only small quantities, an ounce or two, even if you find something you really like, for a while. You may find a better blend the next day. Buying fewer pipes at higher prices is one good strategy. You won't get the variety of shapes and nations, but you should get excellent smokers with a touch of craft and history. It's easier to get a good new pipe, after researching them, but you won't get as much for your money. But more can go wrong with used pipes; you might want to stick with one of our sponsor retailers for used pipes, unless you are experienced with ebay. A disclaimer, I have stuck mostly with moderately or lower priced pipes, for more variety, but I think both ways of going are good, if you work at them.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
If you have the $$$ to spend on expensive pipes, spend some time here and figure out what makes sense. Starting with a few cobs is never a bad idea, I agree. I would get two new Castello pipes for sure, if I had the $$$, but not in my budget, as they are $700 and $1,000 respectively. For that $$$ I am getting another single action .357 mag revolver, not a pipe. For around $100 +/- you can get a new/good pipe that will smoke real nice. I use and suggest Stanwell, Comoy, Chacom and Savinelli. Just got a new Savinelli Oscar Tiger Zulu for $108 to my door. Have a commission Zulu/Horn coming for $210.00. Made just like I want. I spent a couple few hundred dollars on some "Estate" pipes and most were real good deals. I have a herd of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs. I spent in excess of 200 hours of research when I got serious about all this and only then started to spend my $$$. Tobacco reviews is a great resource. I always look for the reviews of Pipestud and Jiminks, two members here, who have written around 2500 reviews between them. I had one briar pipe and many cobs for about 20 years and smoked Captain Black exclusively. That worked for me, and then I got sucked into all this, big time.

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
Rigmedic1,
I do like the Peterson pipes. I kind of like the Irish Sea one. I've been looking up pipe styles and I do like the army mounts. I like the metal connection. I wonder if I can find an actual ww1 military pipe for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind collecting them as much as smoking them.
Wyfbane,
Thanks for the welcome. I read that Missouri Meerschaum CC's are one of the easier pipes to smoke and that is why I went for it. That bag is pretty tempting. I might get it just to let other people try pipes. I keep it in a jar, but I need to get a bunch of small jars. At the moment they are all together in one mason jar. I make beer/wine and that works the same way with aging. I haven't moved into the earthier and stronger flavored ones yet. I can take pictures and get advice on them. I go there to bid on rifles and the coins/collectibles come up right before that. I saw some 4 packs of small jars for $3-4 at Walmart with pop type lids (candy jars?) I will probably get some of those.
mso489,
Thanks. I tend to enjoy trying new things constantly. I will definitely be doing some research. If I wasn't 100% sure then I wouldn't buy a used pipe unless it was a great deal. I wouldn't mind repairing a pipe. I do a fair amount of woodworking on antiques.
crusher47,
Thanks.
jackswilling,
I collect and restore military rifles. A beat up Turkish Mauser started that for me about 10 years ago. My walls are pretty full in the gun room and I don't have much room in there. I do, however, have a cabinet with depression glass and steins that has a little room in it for displaying pipes.
Do most people smoke their antique pipes or just look at them?

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Welcome to the brotherhood.

I'd say you can't beat a nice Savinelli or Peterson.

Do you prefer straight ,half bent, full bent?

Try to decide with a cheaper pipe first like a good MM Cob.
Welcome and enjoy!

realfloopyguy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
I have a MM cob. I just got a cheap briar with tobacco from piepsandcigars.com for $19.99.
My wife has offered to buy me whatever pipe I want for my birthday in a few weeks. I like the Petersons. Bent or half bent. Dark red in color. I like the military mounts. I also like the Sherlock style ones, Churchwardens, and the old Irish style ones that are straight. I don't have a problem spending money to get what I want, I am more worried about value than price. If I found one that I loved at $500 then I would buy it, especially given that pipes seem to hold their value somewhat. I'm still researching.
I have a lot of old military stocks that are busted or that I have used as repair sections for another rifle. I might make an attempt to make a pipe or two out of one of them. Seems like it would be an interesting project.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi realfloop,

The military stock conversion to pipe sounds intriguing, please include some pics when you can!

I recall many a military mount in the day......

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
MSO489 gave you some very solid advice. I'd second everything he said.

I would guess "Castillero" is an attempt to play off the strength of the name "Castello", a very fine Italian pipe maker.

And I will add my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford, in the best pipes you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.