Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like small bowl pipes. I'm not a person who smokes every day and when I do I don't always have time to smoke for to long. So with that said, a while back I discovered shag pipes from back in the WW2 era. I have found some at antique shops and eBay. So recently my life has been a bit crazy two weeks of house guests then a week break and a family camping trip. It may not reflect on me but my house guests like cocktails and one night after they went to bed I checked out eBay. Fired Off a bid on three pipes and forgot about it. Short story long, I got the pipes!
They arrived today and man I did good! They are clean and in great shape! Three pipes from WW2 or earlier for $13.50, $20.35 shipped! Good looking also. So for those who want small briars search for estate pipes shag on eBay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Does the name "shag pipe" refer to the cut of tobacco they are designed for? I've not heard that term before.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes the shag cut was an inexpensive tobacco that was used for roll your own cigarettes and pipes. It burned fast so a shag pipe was a quick smoke break kind of thing. During the war that was a good thing on a work break. People were working their asses off. I found that sutlif maple street is a shag cut and smokes wonderful in these pipes. Second only to a cob but that's another topic. I have found about six of these pipes and they all smoke well.

Status
Not open for further replies.