PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I just took possession of a Savinelli Onda 704 Smooth Liverpool and it is quite an attractive piece. It doesn't have the black bowl coating of the less expensive Sav lines but I notice that the inside of the bowl seems to be just as glossy and smoothly finished as the outside. I've encountered lots of both bare and coated bowls over the years but this is the first time I've run across one with an identical finish on both the exterior and interior of the bowl. Should I sandpaper the inside back to bare wood before I smoke it or just not worry about it?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks for the clarifications junkyarddog but do you have any opinion about whether or not I should sand out the glossy stained finish on the inside of the bowl?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks I'll do just that. I've seen plenty of pipes with stain on the inside before but this the first one I've run across that seems to be lacquered and polished as well. Alcohol doesn't appear to make any impression at all so sanding it is.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Take out the stain, as Cajun says. It messes with experiencing the flavor and makes it harder to build up,a cake. Nice pipe, and I'm surprised it is stained inside. My normal Sav price point is a lot lower than that and I try for the ones that are naked inside. I'd expect no stain on such a beauty.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
When I saw the pics on SP the pipe did not appear to have the typical Sav black bowl coating that I've always wished they'd get rid of in their lower price point offerings. Careful what you wish for I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.