PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been covered already but Samuel Gawith and Stanislaw have teamed up and released four new flake tobaccos; they are.
Irish Spring Flake - Virginia & Perique (This is the one I think I'll be trying first).

English Summer Flake - Aged Virginia.

Scottish Autumn Flake - Pure Virginia.

Winter time Flake - A combination of the Virgina and Latakia.
All the above come in 50 gram tins and from my conversation with the manager of my favourite B&M, Scarborough pipe smokers have been looking forward to these.

The tin art looks pretty good as well.

When I get any of them I shall bang in a review and let the rest of y'all know what is in store for you.
Peace out guys.
Dave

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Scarborian, it appeared today. I was giving the old Swan shoppe a ring to see if they had any Vaper flakes in as I am getting my mother to bring down a selection for my birthday. The Irish Spring was the only one he could recommend or even have in stock.
On a side note are you a native of Scarborough that has moved away or are you still there?

I miss the old place sometimes.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I agree with the 5th post in this topic, but not with the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th posts.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I should be happy to try any new flake from SG. Thanks for the alert, bigdude007.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Just doing my duty stbruno70/
Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly when my actions have been helpful to others.
Peace out
Dave

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Apparently they decided to change the "Irish Spring" to "Spring Time Flake". Probably a good idea.
Here are descriptions from mysmokingshop.co.uk.:
  • Samuel Gawith Spring Time Flake is a blend of Virginia tobaccos with a touch of Louisiana Perique. The distinctive flavour comes from the old sherry barrels the Perique was matured in.
    A natural sweet and spicy taste with a medium to full strength.[/*]
  • Samuel Gawith Winter Time Flake is a choice blend of Latakias and pressed Virginias giving a rich slow burning tobacco for the experienced pipe smoker.
    A sweet yet spicy taste with a medium to full strength.[/*]
  • Samuel Gawith English Summer Flake is made from natural Virginia leaves which have sustained a long ageing process giving a great cool slow burning and delicate flavour.
    A medium sweet taste tobacco with a medium strength.[/*]
  • Samuel Gawith Scottish Autumn Flake is made with natural ripe long pressed Virginias giving a slow burn.
    This flake is suitable for smoking on its own or blending as it has a mild taste and medium strength.[/*]

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Just a quick update, I received samples of the Irish Flake, Winter Flake and Summer Flake. I also sampled the 2014 Ltd Ed.
Like 2013 Ltd Ed, the 2014 was to me anyway, equally unimpressive, bland and tasteless. Of the flakes, the samples are not of sufficient size to do a full review. 2 bowls maximum in the samples. However, the one thing that was very noticeable is that all the flakes are devoid of the ''Lakeland'' floral notes that SG is renowned for. This is a plus for me.
The Irish Flake is very well rounded and smooth with a sweet and spicy taste. It starts of as a mild smoke which develops throughout the bowl to spicy crescendo.
The Winter Flake is one of the best Lat flakes that I have smoked and was a welcome addition to a stormy evening in front of the fire. It was balanced and not overly full.
I have ordered several tins of both and I will review fully when they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.