PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
P&C has a new link up, to fight the FDA from mandating all new tobaccos and cigars introduced after the arbitrary date of 15Feb07, would be required to undergo a year's worth of expensive testing, which would effectively remove them from the market.
Like P&C Hearth & Home Marquee series? Gone, along with ANY blend made after Feb07. That's a lot of current and future blends no one's made yet. All your newer cigars will be effectively killed, also. The poor FDA; they will need a year and a bunch of money to conclude it's tobacco, and you can now smoke it.
Here's the new link. There's no reason for all of us not to fight the FDA on this.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/page/fda-regulation-comments

M

mrsal

Yup, already posted on this one as well. Just wondering, why 15Feb07? Seems like a rather random date, though I for one have not really done any research on the date...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I rewrote Russ' suggested prose to this to include the fact that they are hurting the local and national tax base, too.
"For many years, I have enjoyed premium tobacco products. Many of those products have been introduced in recent years. I oppose setting an arbitrary date after which those products would be required to undergo lengthy and costly testing. Some, if not all of the items I currently enjoy would disappear or become ridiculously expensive, even though they’ve been sold for a number of years. I consider this be to an unnecessary pernicious attack on my freedom to smoke the legal products that I choose. Grown adults in America should not have their freedom of choice restricted by politically correct groups that think they know what's best for us by this action, which by the way, will also hurt our local and national tax base, and lower income wage earners. "

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@mrsal: The date was arbitrarily picked. I think they used darts and a calendar.
@rsun: You think they actually read them? I would be shocked. If anything, they'll count the number of posts, and see if they think they'll hurt themselves by continuing. I don't believe they could care less about what I want.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks pups. I think the only thing these people care about is whether something will affect them. Then again, two things are certain: NOT posting a comment will DEFINITELY not help, while posting might. Might wins.
The FDA will never rescind regulations, only add more, that's what they do. When they've added too many regulations, they will add more. If they kill tobaccos blended after 2007, they will not stop there, but will look to regulate/ban/whatever something else. They have not stopped with the regulations they already have, and will not stop making more if the 2007 tobacco killing ban is passed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just thought it was interesting how far back knowledge of the upcoming insanity went. I hadn't known any dates and details until just a few months ago.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I just tried to do this... look at what the FDA has going now in this regard:
screen-shot-2016-08-01-at-80052-am-600x375.png

Unfrikkinbelievable. sigh.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I guess this shows how important it is to keep up with what is happening in our government. I heard of these potentials but took no action because I thought there was no way it would come to anything close to what is happening now.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That box shows up because the comment period for the regulation closed. You can only make comments during the time period that have opened for comments.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought there was no way it would come to anything close to what is happening now.
We've all been jaded by words like "liberty" and "freedom". Such idealism seems to be going the route of political incorrectness, and only popular thoughts and beliefs win the day.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I understand what you are saying tennsmoker, but every time a regulation or a change to a regulation is proposed, the government set a time limit for public comment - usually 3 to 6 months. Then the publish when the open comment period begins and ends. After that they are supposed to review all the comments and take them into consideration. The key words is "supposed to."

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks, pappymac. I get it. I'm just upset at the FDA and its heavy handed way of treating pipes and tobacco!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Dadburned tri-focals... I never saw the "Posted 2 Years Ago" thing at the start of this thread. Even though I now confess to stupidity, I still think the FDA should be taking commentary on this. I'm not stupid enough to think they actually pay attention or even read comments posted on these feedback sites. They have their own agenda that they are going to push anyway. But sigh... Or, as we used to say during the family card game: "Take two cards for being stupid Jer." Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.