PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
Hello everyone. As the title states, I'm new to pipes. My first pipe I ever bought was a F.E.S.S Churchwarden 14" from Amazon but it was more for display and never have been used. I'm not even sure if it would be a good smoke. So instead I bought from P&C a few things to get me started and I wanted to know your opinions on them for a beginner. I have never really smoked anything except when I was an experimental 15 year old some menthols. Here is what I ordered:
Pipe: Wellington Smooth Billiard (M)

Tobacco: Hearth & Home Sampler

*House of Lords

*Old Companion

*Grandma's Kitchen

*American Heritage

*Berry Nice

*Vermont Meat Candy
Is this an okay variety to get started? They are each 2oz samples. How long would 2oz last in general (approximately how many bowls)?
Thanks everyone and hello again. I'll do some more research on here since I was also curious about how aromatics can leave a gummy residue and how to clean that.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
2oz would get you 16-20 bowls. Seems like a good start. Don't be afraid of English blends and Virginia blends. Make sure to dry out your tobacco and keep reading and asking questions

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This forum is an encyclopedia of pipe info, you'll find all your answers here. :puffy:
Looks like you're off to a great start, did you order any pipe cleaners or a tamper with the order? Always make sure you have cleaners on hand...Welcome aboard!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I agree with hawk and ghost and would recommend checking out youtube for packing technique. Both helped me out too well.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Your FESS churchwarden is made of rosewood (if it's like the one I bought last year) and will get burn out very easily.
Briar is the way to go, pearwood root and meerschaum are good too. Welcome to the forum :puffy:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Welcome Misterzombie...watch tons of youtube videos on packing techniques.Remember to ask away on the form. So many nice people here that are willing to help.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Zombie. I don't know much about Wellington's, but sounds like you did well for a starter pipe and smart idea getting the H&H sampler packs.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Welcome to the fold! You are about to enter a whole new world of PAD and TAD. It does come with the perks of relaxation and comraderie the likes of which I have never experianced before.

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your warm welcomes. As been suggested in many other beginner threads, I went out to the local store and picked myself up an MM Cob. It was just a standard one and it looks like it has a filter inside as well. I also picked up a bag of Dream Castle Vanilla tobacco since it was pretty cheap and the tobaccoreviews.com place gave it 3 stars so I figured sure why not. Opened the pack today and tried to smoke a bowl. It didn't light too well and kept going out but I don't know if it is because the tobacco seems a bit wet, I packed too tightly (the airflow was soda straw-ish), or if I'm just too new and not puffing properly (too quickly? too slowly?).
Any ideas?

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Welcome aboard, Zombie! Looks like a pretty good setup, make sure you get a tamper, and ask whatever comes to mind. There's a wealth of information to be found here.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.
I have smoked 2 of the blends you mention from P&C. I enjoyed Old Companion quite a bit, but found I had to be careful not to smoke too fast, 'cause it could get bitey. Wasn't as thrilled with American Heritage, but you might like it.

Enjoy your explorations, and ask questions!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome aboard my friend! I love this hobby. Every bowl mixes enjoyment, learning, and relaxation together.
The folks around here are always saying its a journy and I've found that to 100% true for me.
About the tobacco going out troubles, try drying it a bit on a piece of paper. Give it about thirty minutes and test how it pushes back out after you pinch some together. You want it to spring back a bit. You'll figure what moisture level you like for which blend.
I still enjoy my first pipe, my Mm corn cob, with a nice vaper and a cup of coffee.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Sounds like a good start to me. My Wellington was the first new pipe I ever bought. I bought it in my sleep. Long story, but I really like it and have taken it all over the place. Out of the pipes you can buy new for around $30, Wellington doesn't disappoint.
Sounds like your troubles are from wet tobacco, over packing and improper lighting. Easy stuff to fix.
Dry your tobacco on a piece of paper ot paper plate for at least 2 hours. You can put it under a desk lamp for 30 minutes, for the same result in less time.
For lighting, puff slow and get a few puffs of smoke from it. Then gently tamp it and do a second lighting. That will usually get 'er going if the tobacco is dry enough.
For packing, check this out: http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/tobacco-pipe-packing-methods/

tobacco

Lurker
Dec 29, 2012
also remember dont smoke to fast smoking rhythm was the thing that took me longest to get used to and if you feel any tongue bite coming on try drinking while you smoke helps alot. I also agree you can never go wrong with a corn cob and they are cheap but if you prefer briar and don't want and estate pipe then look at Kaywoodies or Dr Grabows alot of people will say they are cheap but i have several of them and they smoke great.

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you everyone! I tried drying out the tobacco and it lit a lot better this time. For drying as an experiment someone mentioned in some thread I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. I think that over dried it though since it tasted a little ashy and not much vanilla :lol: I used the Frank method to fill it and it had a pretty good draw as far as my second attempt could tell. I only had to light it 4 times including the false light so I think I'm doing pretty alright, even though I can't seem to get it to burn to the bottom. I look forward to trying the higher quality tobacco when it comes in. I also figured out my MM Cob is a Straight Legend.
Also someone said to wipe out a cob bowl after each use so I have been doing this, is this good practice for a cob?

Status
Not open for further replies.