PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I am fairly new to pipe smoking but I figured it was time to invest in a nice pipe so today I was off to visit the b&m in a town an hour away. They have a ton of pipes so I figured I would be able to find what I was looking for. I was looking for a Rhodesian or squat bulldog of some sort. When it came down to it I had narrowed it down to two pipes. One was a new Peterson on sale for $90 and the other an estate Georg Jensen for $70. When I went in I was set on a Peterson, a stanwell or a Savenelli. The Georg Jensen felt better in my hand and I liked the looks a little better. That combined with the fact that I was going to have enough left over get a couple of tins made me decide to go with the Jensen. It is what I would call a Rhodesian (but I am new) and is in great shape. The only other markings are De Lux on the underside. So here is my question. Should I have gone with the Peterson and did I overpay for the Jensen? On the way home I thought I had made a mistake since I went in not having done my research on that brand. I know if it feels good and smokes good that is all that matters but I would like some of your opinions. Also does anyone know about Georg Jensen pipes? My research so far has come up with very little. I will post pictures tonight when I get home. Thanks in advance

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Neither Pipedia or Pipephil has any info on Georg Jensen that I could find.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first started smoking a pipe, my second pipe was a Jensen that retailed for around 70 or so, I did not care for it. It burned very hot and wet and I got rid of it pretty quickly. I hope you are luckier than I was.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Per Georg Jensen managed the Georg Jensen Pipe brand during 23 years and is currently (2011) activ as "Tobacco Professor" at Mac Baren Tobacco Company. (http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-g2.html)
The Georg Jensen pipe factory was founded by Per Georg Jensen and his wife in 1954, in Kopenhagen, Denmark. Since the 80s the company is under the management of his daughter Lis, and his son with the same name of Per Georg Jensen. The company has 10 employees and manufactures around 2,000 factory pipes per year. Among the top of the line pipes are hand carved special editions and free hands.
The price range appears to be around 50-150$.
Top of the Line models of Georg Jensen have vulcanite or ebonite stems, factory pipes usually have acrylic stems.
Factory pipes (in increasing quality) are marked:
Danish Sand

Achat / Amber

Red Flame / Red Skin

Sunrise / Orange extra / Starline

Contrast / Bicolour / Harmon

Excellent / Masterpiece
Pipes in the 50-120$ price range are commonly marked with:

MODEL + MODEL NUMBER + "Made in Denmark", GJ stamp in red on the stem.
Special edition pipes are commonly marked with:

MODEL + MODEL NUMBER + "Handmade in Denmark" + GJ stamp in white on the stem.
Top of the line pipes are commonly marked with:

MODEL NUMBER + "Georg Jensen" in italic or fancy font.
The extremely rare and collectible freehands are marked with:

"Straight Grain", and a number that discerns the grading from 1 (lowest) to 13 (highest).
Due to copyright and trademark issues, Georg Jensen pipes that are exported to the US market are marked with "Jensen" instead of "Georg Jensen".
Source: Manfred Arenz
Hope that helps?

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
if you are not a fan of it then you could always take it to a pipe show and try to trade it. or just try to sell it on ebay. but to me, even if its not a good smoke and you might never use it, it still is a part of your collection and will look good on a stand.

Aug 1, 2012
I would smoke it and see. If it smokes great, then you got a good deal. If it smokes like poo, you got a bad one.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
One of my best smokers is a Georg Jensen stack billiard. I had to open up the stem a bit, but they make high quality pipes, similar in style and price to Stanwell. If yours smokes good, then it's a good one. Everything depends on the individual pipe, however. With Peterson, for example, there's a wide range of smoking properties, no matter what you pay.
Like someone said, if you don't like the Jensen, you can always e-bay it or sell it on one of the pipe forums.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If it makes you feel better, you should know that Jensen is a major brand -- it's just not widely distributed in the U.S. I'm always on the lookout for a good Jensen on ebay. Unfortunately I'm usually outbid. No slouch of a pipe the Jensen.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Considering what has been discussed about Peterson Quality issues lately, I think you probably made a wise investment. I have a 30 year old basket pipe that I bought for a knock around, and smokes better than some very expensive pipes I have. Don't get hung up on nomenclature. Smoke it, and if you like it, and the way it feels and looks, you made a good choice, no matter who made the thing.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, thank you guys for the information and insight. I looked at it a little harder last night and found on one side of the shank the number 764 or 754 it's hard to tell. On the Bottom it says De Lux, and on the other side Georg Jensen Pipes with Made in Denmark underneath. If I had to guess on the stem my guess would be acrylic. Here are some pictures, sorry for the size and quality.
image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rosney I gotta say don't be too upset. I have a new Stanwell that I can't stand to smoke. I'm hoping that with more time dedicated to it, I find something I like about it.
Nice pipe. Looks like it wants to be smoked.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
One of our site sponsors
www.mkelaw-pipes.com
has a pipe by him in the Danish Estate section. Perhaps Dave would know more about the maker.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
One of my absolute favorite pipes is a Danish made Stanwell. The Danish make some seriously great smoking pipes. On the other hand I have had some issues with my one and only Peterson (brand new). I think you made the right decision. Besides there is always room for more pipes later down the road.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
My G.J. smokes better than any of my petersons and just as well as my stanwells. I would have no problem recommending them to anyone looking for a nice factory pipe.

20151226_121807.jpg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the photo, it looks like a well made, sturdy, attractive pipe, though the proof is in the smoking. For a Danish pipe, it shares the solidity with Petersons, so if it smokes well, you've gotten some of the best of both. Just from the photo, it looks good to me, and the price, though no big bargain, seems reasonable and fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.