Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

New Pipe Smoker Tobacco

(27 posts)
  1. bigc89

bigc89

Login to Send PM

I am a new pipe smoker and i have a question. What would be you’re recommendations for tobacco for a new smoker? I have smoked a few Cigars before trying pipe and right now I am smoking an aromatic called Indian Summer, but i would like to try some other blends other than aromatics so could you suggest some please?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off, welcome to the forum! The biggest mistake you could make is to tell yourself that you "have" to like a certain kind of tobacco because you are new to pipe smoking. My recommendation is to get yourself a Virginia blend, a Burley blend, an English blend, and get a good feel for what the tobaccos taste like and burn like. Some people love Burleys, some dont. Some love Latakia, some dont. Its all going to come to you in time, but until then, just enjoy and try to remember the basics: smoke slow, small sips, dont pack too tight, and dont smoke too hot. Hope this helps!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your going to get a different anwser from every single member on this forum, there's no such thing as a right or wrong tobacco. Is there a specific flavor your wanting? Also if possable the best thing to do is go to your local brick and mortar store and just take a whiff of everything, ask the owner what brands he Wouk suggest and ect. Personally I am not much for aromatics but the one I always keep on hand is Captain Black white, sold at almost all gas stations and all online retailers you can find it anywhere and just the right amount of vanilla for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Welcome to PM Forums bigc89!

My advice is, if you have a decent tobacconist near you, pay them a visit. Your tobacconist will help you choose one or more small samples and these will help you determine what "type" of tobacco you most enjoy so you can "sample" other blends along the same type you like.

If you have no tobacconist nearby, some of the site sponsors here, such as Pipes & Cigars, 4 Noggins and Smoking Pipes offer pipe tobacco samplers. You can also call any of them and they will help you to decide which blends to pick for your sampler from a wide selection available from which to choose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard!
    I agree with rothnh. Now,mind, by "decent tobacconist" he means "one that knows something about pipe tobacco".

Your going to get a different anwser from every single member on this forum, there's no such thing as a right or wrong tobacco. ... Personally I am not much for aromatics but the one I always keep on hand is Captain Black white

In my case I don't smoke aros at all, and CB is one I would not even consider, if I wanted one.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard BigC.

I third and fourth the notion of a variety of samples.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. If the "Indian Summer" you're smoking is the blend with Amish tobacco you may want to consider C&D's Billy Budd. It has some cigar leaf in it. As a fellow cigar smoker I tend to go for the English syle belnds as well. IMHO, cigar smokers who also smoke pipes tend to want a "bolder" smoking experience and I'm not sure that aromatics provide that for cigar smokers because they are so different from what our taste buds are accustomed to.
    I agree with the others about visiting a tobacconist who has pipe experience and letting him guide you. Good luck in exploring different blends.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke everything you can get your hands on; it's the best way to find out what you like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And don't read reviews of tobacco yet! That was my biggest mistake. Try it out, form your own opinion, and then see what others say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Call up one of the sponsors that sell pipe tobacco and let them know you're new to the hobby. Then tell them that you want to try one of each of the major styles of pipe tobacco. They will hook you up with some recommendations on a Burley, VA, VaPer, English, Oriental, Aro, etc. Pick as many differnt styles as you can afford and smoke through em and find out what you like and don't like.

You'll find smokey, meaty, earthy flavors in English blends.

Burley blends will taste like varying levels of rich nuttyness.

Virginias will be grassy or sweet, or both, they age well and are best smoked very slow. Naturally sweet/light. They differ greatly but very tasty stuff.

Perique is most commonly paired with virginias to provide some spice or peppery notes to the subtle sweetness of virginias. Is a great complement to any style, but can be very spicy.

Orientals are hard to describe for me. They're amazing in there own right.

If you're looking for a great cigar, my go-to is Alec Bradley - Black Market.

Happy Smoking, welcome to the forums, and happy IPSD!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As many others have noted, we'll all give you a different list. (Mine follows.) But too often new pipe smokers are told to start out with aromatics, which I think is a mistake. In my experience, aromatics are the most disappointing blends out there, as they often don't taste much like tobacco and they almost never taste the way they smell. So my recommendation would be to avoid aromatics at least until you've tried a number of different non-aromatics. And, as others have also said, your best bet is to smoke widely; trying a wide variety is the only way to discover what you like and get a handle on what each different type of tobacco leaf offers.

So whether you go to a local tobacco shop or order online, I'd recommend trying any of the following (mostly!) easy-to-find blends, just to get your feet in the water:

English (with latakia): Dunhill's Standard Mixture, Dunhill's London Mixture, GLPease's Westminster, Esoterica's Margate
    Balkan Blends: McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander, GLPease's Caravan
    Oriental Blends: Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Robert McConnell's Oriental Mixture
    Virginia Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie, Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, GLPease's Embarcadero
    Virginia Flakes: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Butera's Royal Vintage: Matured Flake
    Virginia/Perique Blends: A&C Peterson's Escudo, GLPease's Haddo's Delight
    Virginia/Burley Blends: Esoterica's Stonehaven, Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Best Brown #2, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake

There are also some wonderful blends that include more than a little unflavored cavendish -- I call them Scottish blends, but that's not universally accepted -- which gives them a roundness, sweetness, and depth of character that I just love. It's an awkward category, but I'd include in it: Rattray's Jocks Mixture, McClelland's Anniversary, and Esoterica's And So to Bed.

Of course, these are just my personal choices. And I could probably have given you 20 different ones.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jonahtke

jonahtke

Login to Send PM

Following are a few of my personal favorites:

McClelland: Virginia 35 Stave Aged (this hands down my favorite all time tobacco)
    Just for Him: Shortcut to Mushrooms (wonderful Lat blend, creamy, mild, and pure relaxation)
    CAO: Cherry Bomb (This is like smoking kool-aid, it's tasty, but I wouldn't put it in a pipe you don't want ghosted)

And since nobody has recommended it yet. Lane Lmtd 1Q is always a good starter aro.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

missileguy

Login to Send PM

BigC

I am also new to pipe smoking and so far I found it best to order the samplers that let you choose different types. Last night I went to pipesandcigars read the description and picked what sounded good. I think the 26 dollars will be worth the experience alone. I also might find what I am looking for in a tobacco. I would go to my B&M but am currently overseas so this looked like the best option for me. I do have a small book I purchased to keep track of what I smoke and how I felt about it.
    I also want to try the frogmorton cellar for some reason it is haunting me. I have about zero knowledge on how it will or should taste.I think I like the tin who knows my thought process is a mystery to me sometimes.

Tobacco 1 = Marble Kake (98)
    Tobacco 2 = Louisiana Red (96)
    Tobacco 3 = Vermont Meat Candy (198)
    Tobacco 4 = Daybreak (75)
    Tobacco 5 = Freight Train (199)
    Tobacco 6 = Larry's Blend

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Welcome to PM Forums, Missleguy!

Congratulations on your P&C Sampler -- you have selected a nice range of very good blends to try out -- I am sure you'll enjoy the adventure!

I also wanted to mention that McClelland Frog Morton Cellar is excellent -- a blend that I feel any puffer would enjoy.

Do let us know how your journey goes when you sample your samples

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. bigc89

bigc89

Login to Send PM

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my post. You guys have been extremely helpful and i love the amount of support there is on this cite for fellow hobbyists. I will take every post to heart and try all the recommendations given to me. Thanks again you guys.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would say you couldn't get a wider variety than missile guy did in his sampler, once you have sampled a few blends tell us what you liked/disliked and why. Once we have that information we can flood you with recemendations. Also welcome to the forum!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. guerillapiper

guerillapiper

Login to Send PM

My introduction to something other than aromatics was McClelland's 3 Oaks... a mild, scrumptious blend of Latakia and sweet Virginia leaf. Perfect for the beginner. Goes well with a glass of whole milk, or, if you're in the mood, a tumbler of premium bourbon. Honestly? It opened up an entirely new world for me. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

osuilleabhain

Login to Send PM

Have you tried Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe yet? I find it tangy sweet salty creamy and just a touch spicy / smoky. For me it smokes best slowly, in a bigger bowl but a small bowl let to go out is a treat too. When reading forums / reviews I tend to look for the key phrases: cool smoking and little or no bite, I'm a little aggressive still. A deep rich stronger smoke is Balkan Sasieni, which I find a drier smoke than Early Morning Pipe. These 2 are my every day smokes. I'm exploring myself and want to try Dunhills Old Companion. Rattrays Accountants Mixture has been recommended to me as well. Those (discount) tobacco stores that are also head shops don't have anything for me but pipe cleaners. If you're interested in storing or cellaring your samples Crate and Barrel online has really good bail top airtight Fido glass jars ranging from .5 liter - 5.0 liter at a great price. I'm happy I got a few.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ohiopuffer

ohiopuffer

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum.I will suggest anything from Boswells since I did not see them suggested yet.My favorite of theirs lately is called Bear Blend.All of their blends are top notch in my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We should make this a sticky where each member in response picks one blend from each style to recommend to a new smoker. Ok, maybe two

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Welcome. Keep in mind everyone has a favorite. These are all great tobacco's. But, your the ultimate judge.

Start with small amounts and give each tobacco time to grow on you. One thing I've learned is, never go by how a tobacco smells. Smoke it and enjoy. They always surprise me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off; Indian Summer is also an awesome band! Second I just picked up a sampler with maybe an ounce of five or six different kinds and bought some cheaper stuff like Captain Black from the drugstore. After I figured out which ones I liked I just looked for similar ingredients and found I like Virginia's and brands with gold cavendish. I'm doing the same now with pipes (I really like my MM; must be a midwest thing) and I'll eventually experiment with some blending. i think that's where the fun is just figuring it out and looking for that perfect combination. Happy hunting!

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

English (with latakia): Dunhill's Standard Mixture, Dunhill's London Mixture, GLPease's Westminster, Esoterica's Margate
    Balkan Blends: McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander, GLPease's Caravan
    Oriental Blends: Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Robert McConnell's Oriental Mixture
    Virginia Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie, Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, GLPease's Embarcadero
    Virginia Flakes: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Butera's Royal Vintage: Matured Flake
    Virginia/Perique Blends: A&C Peterson's Escudo, GLPease's Haddo's Delight
    Virginia/Burley Blends: Esoterica's Stonehaven, Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Best Brown #2, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake

Great list @rmbittner

I agree with some others here, try getting 1oz samplers of multiple blends to try out. There are just too many different blends and you'll get wildly differing opinions on which are good.

If you like aromatics (like the one you're smoking now) give Boswell blends a try though I personally would recommend Newminster blends, esp Danish Black and French Champagne. Inexpensive but well made and taste great.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to continue to recommend Mac Baren's Navy Flake to all new pipe smokers who are ready to try something other than aromatics. It's an outstanding smoke, cool and even burning with plenty of flavor, very slightly aromatic both in tin and room note, and really has no bad traits. I just think it's about the perfect tobacco for new-ish pipers who are branching out into the world of OTA (other than aromatic) tobacco.

So, yeah....

Mac Baren's Navy Flake. Get it, try it, you won't be sorry.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. bigc89

bigc89

Login to Send PM

Sorry i haven't responded guys, and thank you all for the comments. I haven't gotten around to try these tobaccos but i just started spring break so that gives me plenty of time to have a few good smokes.

Again thank you all for the advice and suggestions

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

hey bigc! welcome, i too am a new pipe smoker, and when i get into something, i dive in headfirst, so i have about 7 pipes and have tried about 15 different tobaccos with others in the collection i have not even opened yet. ive tried aromatics and non aromatics and english. i really like margate by tilbury which made me look into the straight virginia blends. tonight i opened up gawith full virginia flake, and its amazing. light tasting, little sweet little spicy, smokes real easy, just an all around good flavor, and no tongue bite whatsoever.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My top tip to new converts to the joys of the pipe. When starting out, keep a note book. It doesn't have to be much, but if you note the name, what is in the blend and what you think of it, you will soon see a pattern emerge. You may find that you love the taste of some types of tobacco or hate others. That way you can look out for blends that feature your favourite tobacco types.

One more point to add - As with cigars, your tastes may change as your experience grows. Just because you didn't like a tobacco the first time you tried it, doesn't mean you will always dislike it. Go back and re try some blends in 6 months time and see of your opinion has changed.
    After all, the very first time you tasted cheese, you probably weren't keen on a strong blue, but many acquire a taste for it in time.

The main thing is - enjoy!

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   admin, papipeguy, cosmicfolklore, lucky695, grouchydog, edgreen, ericthered, oldreddog, jarit, cmdrmcbragg, rosney, johnnyreb, werebear, trailboss, andystewart, morton, bulldogbriar89, hittelusedpipes