PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigc89

Lurker
Jan 30, 2013
I am a new pipe smoker and i have a question. What would be you’re recommendations for tobacco for a new smoker? I have smoked a few Cigars before trying pipe and right now I am smoking an aromatic called Indian Summer, but i would like to try some other blends other than aromatics so could you suggest some please?

Jul 15, 2011
First off, welcome to the forum! The biggest mistake you could make is to tell yourself that you "have" to like a certain kind of tobacco because you are new to pipe smoking. My recommendation is to get yourself a Virginia blend, a Burley blend, an English blend, and get a good feel for what the tobaccos taste like and burn like. Some people love Burleys, some dont. Some love Latakia, some dont. Its all going to come to you in time, but until then, just enjoy and try to remember the basics: smoke slow, small sips, dont pack too tight, and dont smoke too hot. Hope this helps!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Your going to get a different anwser from every single member on this forum, there's no such thing as a right or wrong tobacco. Is there a specific flavor your wanting? Also if possable the best thing to do is go to your local brick and mortar store and just take a whiff of everything, ask the owner what brands he Wouk suggest and ect. Personally I am not much for aromatics but the one I always keep on hand is Captain Black white, sold at almost all gas stations and all online retailers you can find it anywhere and just the right amount of vanilla for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard!

I agree with rothnh. Now,mind, by "decent tobacconist" he means "one that knows something about pipe tobacco".
Your going to get a different anwser from every single member on this forum, there's no such thing as a right or wrong tobacco. ... Personally I am not much for aromatics but the one I always keep on hand is Captain Black white
In my case I don't smoke aros at all, and CB is one I would not even consider, if I wanted one.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome aboard BigC.
I third and fourth the notion of a variety of samples.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. If the "Indian Summer" you're smoking is the blend with Amish tobacco you may want to consider C&D's Billy Budd. It has some cigar leaf in it. As a fellow cigar smoker I tend to go for the English syle belnds as well. IMHO, cigar smokers who also smoke pipes tend to want a "bolder" smoking experience and I'm not sure that aromatics provide that for cigar smokers because they are so different from what our taste buds are accustomed to.

I agree with the others about visiting a tobacconist who has pipe experience and letting him guide you. Good luck in exploring different blends.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
And don't read reviews of tobacco yet! That was my biggest mistake. Try it out, form your own opinion, and then see what others say.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Call up one of the sponsors that sell pipe tobacco and let them know you're new to the hobby. Then tell them that you want to try one of each of the major styles of pipe tobacco. They will hook you up with some recommendations on a Burley, VA, VaPer, English, Oriental, Aro, etc. Pick as many differnt styles as you can afford and smoke through em and find out what you like and don't like.
You'll find smokey, meaty, earthy flavors in English blends.
Burley blends will taste like varying levels of rich nuttyness.
Virginias will be grassy or sweet, or both, they age well and are best smoked very slow. Naturally sweet/light. They differ greatly but very tasty stuff.
Perique is most commonly paired with virginias to provide some spice or peppery notes to the subtle sweetness of virginias. Is a great complement to any style, but can be very spicy.
Orientals are hard to describe for me. They're amazing in there own right.
If you're looking for a great cigar, my go-to is Alec Bradley - Black Market.
Happy Smoking, welcome to the forums, and happy IPSD!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As many others have noted, we'll all give you a different list. (Mine follows.) But too often new pipe smokers are told to start out with aromatics, which I think is a mistake. In my experience, aromatics are the most disappointing blends out there, as they often don't taste much like tobacco and they almost never taste the way they smell. So my recommendation would be to avoid aromatics at least until you've tried a number of different non-aromatics. And, as others have also said, your best bet is to smoke widely; trying a wide variety is the only way to discover what you like and get a handle on what each different type of tobacco leaf offers.
So whether you go to a local tobacco shop or order online, I'd recommend trying any of the following (mostly!) easy-to-find blends, just to get your feet in the water:
English (with latakia): Dunhill's Standard Mixture, Dunhill's London Mixture, GLPease's Westminster, Esoterica's Margate

Balkan Blends: McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander, GLPease's Caravan

Oriental Blends: Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Robert McConnell's Oriental Mixture

Virginia Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie, Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, GLPease's Embarcadero

Virginia Flakes: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Butera's Royal Vintage: Matured Flake

Virginia/Perique Blends: A&C Peterson's Escudo, GLPease's Haddo's Delight

Virginia/Burley Blends: Esoterica's Stonehaven, Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Best Brown #2, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake
There are also some wonderful blends that include more than a little unflavored cavendish -- I call them Scottish blends, but that's not universally accepted -- which gives them a roundness, sweetness, and depth of character that I just love. It's an awkward category, but I'd include in it: Rattray's Jocks Mixture, McClelland's Anniversary, and Esoterica's And So to Bed.
Of course, these are just my personal choices. And I could probably have given you 20 different ones.
Bob

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Following are a few of my personal favorites:
McClelland: Virginia 35 Stave Aged (this hands down my favorite all time tobacco)

Just for Him: Shortcut to Mushrooms (wonderful Lat blend, creamy, mild, and pure relaxation)

CAO: Cherry Bomb (This is like smoking kool-aid, it's tasty, but I wouldn't put it in a pipe you don't want ghosted)
And since nobody has recommended it yet. Lane Lmtd 1Q is always a good starter aro.

missileguy

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
BigC
I am also new to pipe smoking and so far I found it best to order the samplers that let you choose different types. Last night I went to pipesandcigars read the description and picked what sounded good. I think the 26 dollars will be worth the experience alone. I also might find what I am looking for in a tobacco. I would go to my B&M but am currently overseas so this looked like the best option for me. I do have a small book I purchased to keep track of what I smoke and how I felt about it.

I also want to try the frogmorton cellar for some reason it is haunting me. I have about zero knowledge on how it will or should taste.I think I like the tin who knows my thought process is a mystery to me sometimes.
Tobacco 1 = Marble Kake (98)

Tobacco 2 = Louisiana Red (96)

Tobacco 3 = Vermont Meat Candy (198)

Tobacco 4 = Daybreak (75)

Tobacco 5 = Freight Train (199)

Tobacco 6 = Larry's Blend

bigc89

Lurker
Jan 30, 2013
Thank you to everyone that has replied to my post. You guys have been extremely helpful and i love the amount of support there is on this cite for fellow hobbyists. I will take every post to heart and try all the recommendations given to me. Thanks again you guys.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I would say you couldn't get a wider variety than missile guy did in his sampler, once you have sampled a few blends tell us what you liked/disliked and why. Once we have that information we can flood you with recemendations. Also welcome to the forum!

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
My introduction to something other than aromatics was McClelland's 3 Oaks... a mild, scrumptious blend of Latakia and sweet Virginia leaf. Perfect for the beginner. Goes well with a glass of whole milk, or, if you're in the mood, a tumbler of premium bourbon. Honestly? It opened up an entirely new world for me. Good luck.

osuilleabhain

Lurker
Feb 24, 2013
Have you tried Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe yet? I find it tangy sweet salty creamy and just a touch spicy / smoky. For me it smokes best slowly, in a bigger bowl but a small bowl let to go out is a treat too. When reading forums / reviews I tend to look for the key phrases: cool smoking and little or no bite, I'm a little aggressive still. A deep rich stronger smoke is Balkan Sasieni, which I find a drier smoke than Early Morning Pipe. These 2 are my every day smokes. I'm exploring myself and want to try Dunhills Old Companion. Rattrays Accountants Mixture has been recommended to me as well. Those (discount) tobacco stores that are also head shops don't have anything for me but pipe cleaners. If you're interested in storing or cellaring your samples Crate and Barrel online has really good bail top airtight Fido glass jars ranging from .5 liter - 5.0 liter at a great price. I'm happy I got a few.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
Welcome to the forum.I will suggest anything from Boswells since I did not see them suggested yet.My favorite of theirs lately is called Bear Blend.All of their blends are top notch in my opinion. :)

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Welcome. Keep in mind everyone has a favorite. These are all great tobacco's. But, your the ultimate judge.
Start with small amounts and give each tobacco time to grow on you. One thing I've learned is, never go by how a tobacco smells. Smoke it and enjoy. They always surprise me. :clap:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
First off; Indian Summer is also an awesome band! Second I just picked up a sampler with maybe an ounce of five or six different kinds and bought some cheaper stuff like Captain Black from the drugstore. After I figured out which ones I liked I just looked for similar ingredients and found I like Virginia's and brands with gold cavendish. I'm doing the same now with pipes (I really like my MM; must be a midwest thing) and I'll eventually experiment with some blending. i think that's where the fun is just figuring it out and looking for that perfect combination. Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.