PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnpiper

Lurker
May 31, 2018
Just found this site recently and trying to learn as much as I can about this new venture. I drive by a B&M (a little pipe lingo) multiple times a week and have always been to intimidated to go inside. Almost two months ago I stopped in and they were very helpful. Set me up with a MO Meerschaum, tamper, pipe cleaners, matches and a few samples of bulk tobacco. Other than two episodes of tongue bite -- which lit me up for a couple days, I'm truly enjoying this experience. I am watching videos online and searching the web for more info -- first pipe brand, first tobacco, etc. I just ordered my briar pipe and found what looked like a good deal. It is a Savinelli Rusticated 628. Can't wait for it to arrive. Looking forward to learning more and getting to know some fellow hobbyists. All the best!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Did I hear that the Pie Wagon shut down? What's the world coming to? I Loved that place for greasy eggs bacon and grits.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome!
My wife and I visited her son in Nashville last year.
Stopped by BriarWorks and bought a pipe from the man himself.
Saw the eclipse at a great German Bier Haus oddly situated in a mall.
A wonderful town you have there.
Sounds like you have a good B&M that treated you right. Worked to ease you into the scene and not sell you everything in the store!
Glad you found us. Hope you stay awhile!
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welcome to the forums! I've been in Nashville quite a few times, since the majority of my work revolves entirely around a site up in Gallatin, TN. Hope you have a good time here!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome. I am also a newbie and I smoke a Savinelli Clark's Favorite with the balsa filter. I really enjoy it. I have yet to smoke it without the filter. I plan to soon...to see if I notice a difference.

tnpiper

Lurker
May 31, 2018
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes!
folanator - yes, the Pie Wagon shut down. Metro was going to require them to completely redo all the pipes in their building and they just chose to close after 90+ years. Sad to see them go. They were the second oldest restaurant in Nashville.
tnfan - you're not too far away. I'm in Brentwood. I'm starting to see quite a few artisan pipe makers are in the area. Hope to see what they have to offer.
Appreciate the encouragement and look forward to interacting with many of you. Cheers!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome from upstate SC! Glad to have you with us. :) You've already got several "+1"s with a bunch here, since Savinelli is a major favorite of quite a few of us. You picked a good one. Shameless Plug Dept.: If you ever go over around Gatlinburg, drop by the Gatlinburlier in the Mountain Mall; Ira Lapides is the big cheese there, & he & his guys will treat you right. I get almost all my tobacco from them. Good stuff, & no, they *don't* pay me to shill for them. -laugh-
One site you'll probably also want to bookmark is smokingpipes.com . They have an excellent stock of both new & estate (read, "used") pipes, plus a broad selection of good tobaccos & other "schtuff." They're one of the sponsors of this site, & you can trust them implicitly.
Don't hesitate to ask ANY questions that may occur to you; asking questions around here is like asking people if they have any pictures of their grandkids. }:) A lot of the answers will sometimes conflict since a HUGE amount of areas of expertise on pipes is completely & totally subjective, e.g., charring light or no charring light. In the end it will largely boil down to what works for YOU, so ask away! :)

tnpiper

Lurker
May 31, 2018
bnichols23 - Thanks for the welcome! I get over toward Gatlinburg for business and will definitely drop in to the Gatlinburlier. Have a great weekend!

handyman66

Lurker
May 29, 2018
Welcome tnpiper, as you can see I am new here too, seems a friendly helpful bunch of folks on here, and lots of interesting info, with a laugh here and there thrown in. All the best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.