PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
I was just wondering if it is strange for a new pipe smoker to only enjoy English blends? I started out smoking aromatics because there were more flavors that smelled pretty good and they were easier and cheaper to get ahold of. but I could never get any good flavor out of them. However, the English blends have given me a much more powerful and tastier flavor. I just always thought english was what you lead up to and was only for the more veteran pipe smokers. just want to know your thoughts, Thanks.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Hard to say, I can see why you might think this.
But something more important that I've learned is to do what you like! I'm also fairly new and if I've learned ONE thing so far, it's that there really aren't any hard and fast rules, or "norms" of many sort. You should smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Don't worry about smoking one thing or another to fit into a role you think you need to fit into. I love many English blends, and I love many Aeromatics that I'm sure some would turn their nose up at, perhaps trying to prove how discerning their palate may be.
Smoke what you like, and enjoy the company of all the awesome people who are on this site to join you on your smoking journey!

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I haven't been smoking for more than four months, and I'm already loving English blends. My favorite one being Black House. I'm beginning to lean more to English blends than aromatics.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I agree with the others above, you smoke what you enjoy. I've heard of people that start with english blends, who have never smoked anything before in their lives and stayed with them and there are a lot of aromatic smokers who will smoke nothing else (Cherry & Vanilla springs to mind!) - I started the pipe 4 years ago and still have a balance of English and aromatic, don't think I will ever go just English. Just my two cents :)

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I always thought the aromatics were more for the benefit of those around you :)
I will still smoke my aromatics, although I am enjoying the english blends more and more.
Jason

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 to all of the above.
I do not think your experience is unusual. It did not take me more then 3 smokes to take up the English blends. I walked into a shop and smelled the Latakia and knew what I wanted. I have found the Virginia blends to be nice also.
:twisted:

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
I too prefer the English blends. I wonder if this is because I came to pipes by way of cigars? I had difficulty at first with aromatics, however I found that they are also enjoyable under certain circumstances... like when your wife wants to sit next to you while you smoke.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
nothing wrong with that at all. im still a new smoker as well and i really dont care much for the aromatics at all. smoked Stokkebyes English Oriental Supreme all day and im smoking a bowl of Newminster No. 17 English Luxus right now. Love the Latakia!!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Like the others have said, no need to question, just smoke what appeals to you. I started with aromatics and I almost walked away from pipe smoking because it didn't seem to be what I thought it would be. Then I tried an English blend and here I am 15 years later hopelessly hooked. I am just recently starting to get into aromatics. Just do what makes you happy bro.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
There are a lot of... less than appealing... aromatics out there, if you ask me, I don't think it sounds strange.
You might like SHCP Great Hiatus, SPC Plum Pudding, or any of the Frog Morton's, for English blends. :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
No. It isn't normal at all! You are a total nut! Luckily, you are in good company here. [:rofl:]
Yup, its a pretty quiet life here in the nut house, but Im still pissed about the fact that the mods are required to wear white coats and they changed dinner time to 4:30 :mrgreen:
In all seriousness regarding the OP, I agree with everyone elses response that you should smoke what you like, nothing odd about it. There are a few pipe smokers that hang out at the local B&M down the road, and they are all pretty hardcore English blend smokers, and when we all meet up we swap samples of some of the different tins we have open. I headed down there one day and the only thing I had on me was my tin of MacBaren Golden Extra. I love Burley blends as well, but a lot of the guys never had any experience with them. I let them each take out a bowl or two and when they tried it they said it was the most awful thing they had ever smoked, but I still love it. Lifes too short to smoke something that you dont enjoy.

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. I actually never smoked anything before I tried pipe smoking. I was going to school for respiratory therapy. To say the least, I have changed my career decision and what I want out of life. I was a big dipper for a few years though. that might be why I like the strong spicy flavor.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
When I first got into good cigars I only smoked mild ones. When I got bored with that I decided to try a Hoyo Excalibur #1 maduro. Wow!!! Real toungue slapper there. I had to put it down and thought I wasted $5. So the expense is what drove me to stay with it and smoked it all later. I guess my taste buds weren't ready for something so powerful as that. It is typical to go from aromatics to more complex and powerful tasting blends but some people never aquire a taste for Guiness so they can't get past Bud light.

tmilz20

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
It's about whatever you like. Like wine, good is in the palette of the beholder. Purists will say drink red with meat and white with fish. My 400 bottle wine cellar serves me what I want regardless of the meal. If I'm in the mood for a good red, or a softer white, I'll drink that regardless of Wine Spectator's policy. I, as one of the rare ones here, don't like English blends, even after 30 years of pipe smoking. I just smoke and drink what I like for me, not what others like :)

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I liked Scotch from my very first taste. Many folks do not. I smoked aromatics for two years -tongue bite, goopy bowls and all - until my first bowl of Dunhill My Mixture 965. From that day on, English blends rocked for me.
Today, 58 years later, they still do (and I still like Scotch). :D

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I enjoy both very much.

But, I find that English blends can be a bit painful and expensive as well.

The War Department told me she was tired of putting dents in the skillets whenever I smoked a bowl of something English.

So... I smoke mostly Aros now...

It's amazing how much I've saved on OTC pain relievers.

I think I'll have a bowl of Sillem's Black... and take a couple of Tylenol...

Just in case. :D

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.