PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmuscle

Lurker
Jun 9, 2014
Hi, new to pipe smoking, bought a lot of estate pipes and need some help identfying brands, I have about 70 of them but heres a few i would like to restore some of them as they are very old but would like to see info first. Thanks for the help!!!

http://postimg.cc/image/ylj7q9xbv/

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is a ton, or more like 100 tons, of information about cleaning and restoring on the web. There are a lot of discussions on this site, which you can access using the search capability. There are a number of videos on youtube.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I see a Savinelli Autograph(2nd one) and lots of Dr.Grabow(with clover mark stem).

Also see a Longchamp(leather cover) and Alpha or Dr.grabow freehand.

Picture is not clear so not easy to identify. Guess need a lots of restore and cleaning.

Good luck and Happy smoking.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forum, AZ.
Blimey! You've got a LOT of work ahead, especially the research. If it were me, I'd identify and learn a bit about the pipes, then order them by condition/damage and value/attraction for you. Next I'd follow Sable's suggestion and really get up to speed on the restoration stuff available on the InterWeb. Only then would I start working on the pipes at the lower end of the scale; you're going to screw up somewhere (we've all been there!), so it may as well be with something relatively less important. Then keep going until you're done! You will end up either wishing you'd never got into this or - hopefully - with a huge smile and enormous sense of achievement! Please post pics - it'll be fascinating to see how you get on.
Andy

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome to the forum. A big thumbs up to what Andy said. Don't rush into trying to fix them up. You can easily ruin a pipe trying to restore them. Start with the low end pipes first. If you have any broken pipes, cracked wood ect. That is what you should do a trial run with. No harm no foul if you butcher a broken pipe. Pipephile is a good site for I.D. and info. Ebay is good for estimating what they are worth if you don't know the cheapies from the fancies. Man, 70 estates to resto... That sounds like Christmas morning to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd pick out ten. Prioritize, starting with the ones you want to practice on, if you make mistakes. I'd put

the rest away, so you won't get discouraged when you discover this is real work. Then when you fix three

or four up nicely, you can go back and pick out another ten. If you can, you might want to entrust one or

two of the really good ones to a pipe repairman to restore, to further encourage you, and you might get

some free advice along the way. You don't want to weigh yourself down and abandon 70 pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.