PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed my latest pipe rack project and am getting ready for finish:
craftsman_pipe_rack_cabinet.jpg

The finish will be hand-rubbed, but I'm not sure to go light, dark, or in between. I'm angling toward a light red/mahogany like my last:
arts_crafts_6_pipe_close_710p.jpg

but I tend to get hooked on one color for multiple projects.
The rack is solid red oak. Any opinions on color/shades and what would look good with your pipes?
Thanks,

Paul

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That colour looks great on your first rack and I think it will look excellent on your new rack too. Nice job on both racks by the way. Look forward to seeing #2 finished. :puffy:

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
There's some lovely grain there, and you've built it well it appears. I'd go with a nice light blonde and a high gloss varnish to show it off. Anything but a dark stain.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I favor the lighter colors. The world is dark enough without darkening our wood objects to match.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am sure it will look great whatever stain you use, but my preference would be for a bit darker cherry or mahogany than your last one.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
This might not be doable if it's already assembled, but looking at the unfinished pic made me wonder what it would look like "two-toned". Like the pipe-rest pieces a blonde/natural finish and the rest a caramel/medium brown? I have very little experience with wood-working/finishing, but that's just what jumped to mind looking at the pic.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
A lighter stain would really work with that, what a beauty! Just make sure to show us when it's finished!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I like it, nice wood. I would also try to keep it as light as possible, or natural. Whatever finish you use, even without any stain is going to bring up the color of the wood. Time to do some tests on some scrap pieces...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a Two Cousins gift certificate translated into a pipe stand with "old barn wood with weathered-looking red paint." They gave me my choice between that finished product and a more conventional version, but I love the old barn wood look. It's not everyone's desire, but it is a good option for some. When I said I'd take the old barn wood look, the Two Cousins people said that they'd choose the same one.

Thanks for all your opinions and kind words. I am finishing the rack now and will post some pictures as soon as possible. As for the colors:
Golden Oak - I really like Golden Oak and light finishes in general. My desk is golden oak, as are the oak panels above my fireplace mantel. As I plan on placing the rack on the mantel, I think I need something a little darker to offset.
I really liked deathmetal’s comment on light colors: “I favor the lighter colors. The world is dark enough without darkening our wood objects to match.” I never thought about it that way, but maybe that’s why, generally, I favor light wood over dark.
Green Stain and Two-Toned – I really wish I had thought (or asked) of both of these before assembly! I think a green stained (or painted) interior, or just back and rest, and the remaining a light or natural would look terrific. I can’t figure out a way to do this now without the colors bleeding into the adjoining parts. I’ll just have to keep building.
Barn wood – I’m always on the lookout for barn wood and have experimented with various methods for aging wood. I think I will do a project with this finish, but I’ll use a softer wood, like pine or cedar. Better yet, maybe I’ll find enough actual barn wood.
mso489, I would love to see your barn wood finished rack. Can you post a few pictures?
White wash – Funny you should mention that, my last project was whitewash over a gray stain, to fit in with a Florida décor. Like the barn wood, I used a softer wood.
mso489, I would love to see your barn wood finished rack. Can you post a few pictures?
I’m thinking of a low-slung, 7 pipe (rotation) mantel piece for my next project. It probably won’t be as deep, so a dark color made be in order.
Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.