New Pipe Has Hairline Cracks, What Do I Do?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Just picked up another Brebbia Iceberg for a song. As I was cleaning it up, I notices a bit of wetness on the shank in 2 places. One was right where the bowl joins on and the other was about halfway along the shank running lengthwise for about 2-3 mm. It turns out they are hairline cracks that are only visible when wet. I can't see them otherwise. What do I do about them?
Do I smoke the pipe until it fails or do I need to send it to a repair shop? Is there even any repair possible at this point? At this point it really makes no sense to take it back since it will be more in gas to drive back than to just take a loss.
Thanks,

Sou

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The cob guys will probably suggest tile grout, spackle, duct tape or plaster of Paris. I on the other hand would simply smoke it, it may or may not fail, but if the pipe is not worth the fuel to drive back to the shop, it probably isn't worth the money to send to a repairman.

Aug 1, 2012
Yeah, the tank to get back to the shop will be a $90 round trip. Unless there is a specific repair that can be done though, I might as well just smoke it and see what happens.
Tile grout would probably work wonders though :D

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
That's a pretty nice pipe - too nice to just write it off. Mail it back and insist on a replacement. If the dealer won't play nice, let them know that their name will be gladly shared with LOTS of other pipe enthusiasts across the country. Or, contact Brebbia and see what they can do for you. If they won't play nice - let them know the same. Sounds like it was dropped at some point. Sorry to hear of your bad fortune - hope it turns out for the good! Please be sure to keep us posted as to how this turns out. Good luck.

bb

Aug 1, 2012
Sorry badbriar, I should have been more clear. I tend to just assume the everybody knows what I'm talking about even if I don't give all the details.
This is an estate bought for $35 from a junk shop in the middle of BFE Wyoming that wouldn't know what a Brebbia was if it bit them on the bum. The refund I would get is not worth the trouble and I'm wondering what kind of repair would be possible, or even prudent, on this type of problem.

Aug 1, 2012
Just fired up a different pipe and tried it, covered the bowl and blew smoke in the shank, and no smoke coming through. It let alcohol through when cleaning but no smoke just now.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@captainsousie
In a case such as yours, where it is not worth it to make a return, and costly to send away for repairs, I would suggest a very simple fix, at the risk of being ridiculed. I would probably send it away for repairs as it is a Brebbia, but if you simply want to smoke it, then here goes. You can band the shank yourself to ensure the crack does not become large enough to make a sloppy fit on the stem. And believe it or not, Crazy glue will work wonders for repairing the hairline cracks. I should give you years of service, if that is all you are looking for mate.

Aug 1, 2012
I think a band might work for the one in the middle of the shank but what can be done about the one where it joins the bowl? I really love how my other one smokes and I just want this one to smoke and for it not to fall apart.
Just noticed the crazy glue idea. I like it, just not sure how to get it into the split.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Use supethin superglue, found at any hobby/craft shop; just lay a thin bead over the crack, and it will weep in due to capillary action. Then polish off with micromesh sanding cloths. It is how I glue aircraft models together.

Aug 1, 2012
Anyone have a ballpark on what something like this might cost at a reputable repair shop? I am willing to go that route as well.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Captain Nsfisher is right heat will expand it, I"ve glued many old pipes with crazy glue, the forum member who suggested the super thin glue sounds good, The old cajun

Status
Not open for further replies.