PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
should i return this without touching it - tight stem - removes & reinserts but very tight fit ( not a screw in - press fit ) - - its a chacom - liked the shape - a bit tight in shop but figured ok - more than just snug - at home thinking twice about it -
thanks

smokertruck
Edit: Please use standard capitalization and punctuation in your posts. Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
Hi smokertruck,
I treat my pipes rather badly so perhaps one of the aficionados can give you some better advice, but from my experience if you keep it and use it often you will probably be tightening it again after six months. I suppose it does depend on just how tight it is, you do run the risk of cracking the thing if you twist it out of line when removing the stem. I would also look to see if the stem is in line and you haven’t picked up one with a manufacturing defect. If it looks well made and you still like it, I would say keep him, but handle with care for the first few weeks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokertruck, I believe I'd return it, for several reasons. Pipes are delicate if they have structural problems, and

almost eternal if they don't. The trouble with this one is, every time you settle in for a nice relaxing smoke with

it, you'll be thinking about its structure and durability. Another way to think about it is, if was below a certain

price level (you have to determine this) you might accept the risk and not worry about it. If it is above that

level, you just want it right and to not gamble on it. In fact, you could send it off to a pipe repairman and have

the parts sanded slightly to make the fit looser, but not too loose. But I don't think that's the way to start with

a new pipe. That's something you do with a pipe you have enjoyed over years. I'd go back and see if you can

exchange it unsmoked for a different pipe. You'll enjoy it more, and this shouldn't antagonize the pipe shop.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Rub the stem where it fits into the wood shank with a soft pencil lead, 4B works well. The small amount of graphite works wonders.
Or
Send it back.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The three fixes I use for this are sandpaper, pipe stem wax, or graphite from a pencil. All three work and are different measures of invasiveness. I would never return a pipe for a very tight stem, it's so easy to fix, just be really careful if you use sandpaper to only take a tiny amount off at a time with a very fine grit. I generally try graphite first, if that doesn't do it, I move onto a little sandpaper, then back to graphite. With my cobs I go sandpaper right away. I once used pipe wax (which can work too well) because that part of the stem was actually oxidizing (old design).

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i would consider exchanging but this shop has very few pipes - only 4 by chacom ( now 3 ), a few by butz ( not enthusiastic about selection) & some others same range so i shall bite the bullet with graphite & / or fine sandpaper. i do like this chacom design - galilee ( stamped 812)

also interesting it gets much tighter as it fully reaches end of travel so will have to be careful with sandpaper.

not easy on the arthritis. ( age 70 - the pits)
thanks all

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
I have a Chacom 2011 POTY which also has a really tight fit, I just treat it extra carefully.
Just in case I would take it back so someone at the shop could, in person, see that its an abnormally tight fit. If it snaps on you, you'll be able to make a better case for replacement that way.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
well its going back !! -

even worse scenario - it has several " steps " stopping the pipe cleaner from going thru easily BUT even worse as the cleaner does pass thru it stops at the bowl - the hole has a step at 3 sides left right & top preventing the cleaner from entering the bowl - a piece of tobacco lodged at the entrance so ran a cleaner thru but did not clear it - unable to figure out why until i measured the cleaner with the length of the pipe when i removed it - realized it was not passing thru into the bowl - removed the stem tried to pass it thru into the bowl - only if i try to aim it to the bottom of the hole does it pass thru - with the stem inserted obviously cant direct the cleaner.

read else where some pipes do not align internally well - this one even worse - ledges thru out the length catching the cleaner then on 3 sides at the bowl

- in the shop we inserted a cleaner to see that the smoke hole was nice size rather than give a hard draw as my old meerschaum does but did not notice it did not pass into the bowl.
very disappointed - nice shape - not what i expected from an old company like them.
smokertruck

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i continue receiving notice not sure what the issue is regarding my headings - capitals as per rule 9 - is it the hyphens ?
thanks

smokertruck

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
well went back with my chacom pipe. so having smoked it became an issue - ALSO - all the chacoms he had had the same issue - pipe cleaners do not go thru into the bowl - issue with alignment - they hit that internal wall around hole - now he intends to contact chacom to see if he will receive credit for my pipe - i dont expect a positive result unless they are all factory seconds resulting in a bad lot to be returned.

the pipe cleaners dont go thru the hole into the bowl in any of them - suggested i take the pipe apart either to clear any clogging when i smoke it or each time after i smoke it take it apart to ream the pipe thru to the bowl.

with all my pipes & i guess your pipes also, they ream all the way from beginning to bowl.
bad scene - not expecting a positive result here.
long weekend here in canada expected to enjoy my chacom but no such luck.
regards to all

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Not using a smart phone but will watch the capitals in heading. I never use caps on another site so never needed to pay attention.
The stem is not stuck just was very tight - after the first only smoke it loosened so ok now - unusual.
Will await shops results from the distributor or chacom direct.
thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokertruck, if things don't pan out with the shop that sold the pipe, and since you may not want to do a lot of

hand work with arthritis, I think a good fall-back is to send the pipe to a pipe repairman, such as those that have

been listed at other threads on Forums. I think for a modest price a repairman could address the too-tight stem,

the steps in the pipe's drilling, and check it out otherwise. I think all this could be done for surprisingly little, and

you'd end up with a pipe as good as you'd hoped, for just a little more money. From past prices cited, I'd say

$30 to $50, but possibly as little as $25. You could ask him to do only what was needed, basic, if you want.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I bought a Chacom Match just recently from an online retailer. When the pipe arrived I noticed that the air hole leaving the shank was off to the side, not drilled directly through the center. This worried me and I almost sent it back because of the deficiency. However, I did remember reading some where that as long as the air hole is drilled at the correct height, then it should smoke fine. Well, I decided to take a chance and smoke the pipe. I am very grateful that I made this choice as this has become one of my favorite smokes for straight Virginia's.
All I am trying to say is don't be too quick ton return the pipe due to a minor flaw(minor being the key word) cause it might just turn out to be your best smoker.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Shall wait for result - the stem loosened off after the first smoke.
the real issue is the pipe cleaner will not pass into the bowl - it is not plugged seems as you say off centre will pass thru only at upper section of the hole when i remove the stem but the stem directs it to the side so cant ream if a piece lodges at entrance from bowl to air hole - so awaiting the result.

It is a nice little pipe - the galilee.
THANKS for all the posts

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Not wanting to belabor the issue but not just off center but with stem attached the pipe cleaner does not go all the way thru into the bowl at all - the side walls stop it just prior to entering the hole into the bowl. Cant ream out a piece of tobacco lodged at entrance to air hole unless i remove the stem while smoking it.

all the other chacoms in the shop were the same.
I will be in touch when i hear.
thanks

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Smokertruck
I'm not sure if this will help, but I have an OomPaul Dunhill where only a very thin pipe cleaner can go through, and I have to twist it in just the right direction to get it to go in. This is assuming, of course, that there is enough 'hole' for anything to go through other than smoke.
I believe the cleaners I use for this are made by Falcon. Very thin, compared to the others on the market.
Hope this helps

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
OK all - final update - not a happy camper, The importer here in toronto is brIgham, The retailer had arranged thet brigham "make it correct ".

I spoke with brigham - they intended to send it out not doing it themselves as apparently they dont manufacture any more at least here.

I was not happy with this idea not knowing who was to do the work. I thought they would send it back to chacom but no.

I have decided to pass entirely on repairing this pipe. There is no breakin period as the pipe tastes very good after only 2 bowls.
this leaves me with 2 problems. First the cleaner does not pass thru into the bowl - if a piece of tobacco lodges in the entrance must open the pipe to get at the entrance to clear it then reassemble the pipe continuing to smoke. Second issue that i have discovered on second smoke - the stem is about a 3" bent - i salivate a lot when smoking so a lot of moisture builds up so i need to pass the cleaner thru my pipes while i smoke - the inside air hole seems to be very rough as it tears off chunks of fluff - 6 or more pieces - so again i need to disassemble the pipe to pass the cleaner thru the stem & blow out the pieces of cleaner lodged in the stem - if i draw i have a mouth full of cleaner fluff.

I have a bent mershaum narrow airway but it leaves no pieces - at the beginning the retailer suggested it was the bend - not likely - it is not a smooth inner surface.

The tight stem issue resolved with some fine sandpaper as suggested in an above post.
I see a post regarding misaligned air holes but not sure which direction to correct it so will not try.
In the shop we tried 1 or 2 other chacoms - same issue with the cleaners not passing thru into bowl - maybe a complete bad run. - no more chacoms for me.
so it amounts to a scenario where i will smoke it at home to fiddle with it as needed during a smoke. Ironically i am very happy with this pipe breakin wise as it does not even need it - great flavour so quickly - dont want anyone messing with it possibly ruining the flavour.
Chacom ancestors must be rolling in their graves at this post. I might send a blistering post to chacom france.
happy smoking to all

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
question regarding heading - I used the stem issue but as you all see other issues took precedent -

How would i have edited the heading to remove stem issue to airhole issue in heading rather than start new posts in new thread.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have been hearing a lot of people complaining about Chacom's quality lately. I wanted to share some good experiences with you folks.

I have 3 Chacoms in my collection, and they are all some of my best smokers. They are also all straight, no bent stems. It sounds like a lot of the problems are stemming from the bent stems which restrict a pipe cleaner from passing through. Unfortunately I cannot speek to this aspect, but as stated earlier, I love the Chacoms that I have and will be buying more when the finances allow so. The breakin period is short and enjoyable. I very rarely find any flaws in the briar and I find the mouth pieces to be very comfortable. I cannot speak to the quality of the craftmanship, but I have to assume the quality of briar is very high, that would explain the short / painless breakin period and the flavourful smokes they deliver!

Status
Not open for further replies.