PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I am in the process of breaking in 4 new pipes. I have been trying to stick with burley forward and English blends just because those burn cooler than my go to VA flakes and VaPers. I am sticking with the cooler blends mostly because that’s what the YouTubers preach. I do enjoy putting a burley and a Latakia into my 10 tobacco rotation, but the last 2 week’s rotation seems to be 8 out of 10 Burley/ Eng, and 2 VA’s. Since I only smoke 1 bowl a day, this may continue for another month before I can get my new pipes into my VA rotation. So here come the questions.
Are there any sweeter (non-aromatic) blends that are ok/ safe for breaking in new pipes? If I just sip, is there still a risk for damage if I burn a VA flake in a non-caked bowl?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
When I get a new pipe I do not restrict what I smoke in it. I generally smoke Virginia's and VaPers, so I just stuff, pack and light. No rules. Just smoke my pipes.
But for a sweeter Va I'd go with Orlik Golden Slice. For a VaPer I'd go with Anniversary Kake. Both fit your requirements.
But like i said. I don't think about special break in rules or procedures. I stuff it full and light it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Don't overthink it. As long as you aren't smoking hot enough to cause you discomfort, your pipe should be able to take it. I've broken in several dozen pipes over a decade or so with the full spectrum of tobacco types, and have never had a burnout, despite scorching myself and my pipes regularly for about the first two years of smoking.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I think part of the reason people with pipe-related YouTube channels, etc. go for all these strange rules and rituals is to give them something to talk about. You can't make a whole series of entertaining videos on the subject of "it really doesn't matter what you do".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Smoke whatever you want to smoke in a pipe to break it in. I smoke Virginias and Va/Pers without any problems. Just sip and smoke slowly at first.
It used to be often suggested that one smoke Carter Hall or another OTC burley based blend in a new pipe to break it in and form a cake, but that was mainly because it was seen as easier. One thing I would not do, is break in a pipe with an English blend if I didn't want to use that pipe for something other than English. It takes a bit of doing to get rid of Latakia ghosting.
Don't believe everything you hear on Youtube. There are a few knowledgeable posters, but most of what I've seen is tripe.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I appreciate the replies guys. I do often think about the first 3 years of piping when all I did was crammed a thick, wet flake into my new pipes and tried to blow smoke like the vapors in the car ahead of me. I still have those pipes and they had a good-looking cake in them. Obviously cannot see if there is any burnout.

Jan 8, 2013
I remember when I first started smoking a pipe, I was reading or hearing all the "break it in with burley, with a third of the bowl, then two thirds of the bowl full, and then eventually a full bowl. I discovered quickly that all that really does is take the enjoyment out of the smoke. I think it's hogwash. I fill a full bowl in my new briars now with whatever I feel like smoking in it. I do believe in smoking slowly. You're going to get the best flavor out of your smoke that way anyway.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you're actively trying to build cake (a waste of time, IMO), Orlik Golden Sliced does work well. The cake it leaves is very hard, but thin. And it is a rather sweet Va. If you want the thick nasty cake like an estate pipe owned by a gross geezer who never cleaned his pipe, then burley is your ticket. If you want cake at all, I would recommend the thinnest, hardest carbon layer you can get.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For clarity, I do not mean that all cake formed by smoking burley is the geezer cake, but rather that if you want that estate-pipe lava with a pencil-sized hole in the middle, burley tobacco and zero maintenance is the way to get it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The longer you've smoked a pipe the fewer rituals you observe in breaking in a pipe. I enjoyed a few of those rituals -- smoking the half-filled bowls, smearing the bowl with honey, smoking standard burley blends at first. It makes you focus on the new pipe and invest some effort in its use. Smoke and enjoy is the main rule.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Watch City Cigar's Old Dominion is a crumble cake VaPer with a wee bit more sweetness than usual.

It packs, lights, and burns nicely, so it should be a good break-in blend.

Old_Dominion__90216.1525907438.JPG

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Gee, thanks Cortez. That picture and your simple description sent me to their site. Haven't shopped there yet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I break in every pipe with Virginia, usually a flake. I think Virginia builds the best cake. Also, my best pipes are dedicated to Virginia blends and VaPers. If the pipe can't match up for those blends, I'll see if it can make it smoking English or Balkan blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.