PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Today I travelled an hours drive from home in search of a tobacconist that had a variety of tobacco and also get some advice on choices.

Well not only did I discover a TERRIFIC tobacconist, get some tobacco to try, I also bought a NEW PIPE!! Which I had no intention of doing. Brand name is LORENZETTI and it is absolutely beautiful.

Name of the tobacconist is VICTORY CIGARS located in Oshawa Ontario Canada. Don't let the name fool you the owner (Kevin) has a good selection of pipes, pipe tobacco and very helpful and friendly.

I haven't tried the tobacco or the pipe yet but I am about to now. Will let you all know the results later.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Without pictures, it didn't really happen :nana:
Glad you found a good place.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Congrats, but...
securedownload.gif

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I am afraid I am in agreement with this thread - post some pics and some notes on some of the tobaccos would be great too.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Grats Barkar! Hah I love that place even if I don't love the price of tobacco in Canada. Those guys are great and knowledgeable too. Can help you find a cigar based on vague ideas of what you would like and deliver a good choice in all the price points without you even asking; they also have a pretty decent selection of pipe tobacco in bulk and are constantly considering things to add to the tins.
I hope I'll see you at the pipe night there on the 26th. You must have surely been told that there's going to be one.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
As a matter of fact he did invite me to pipe night next Thursday and I'm planning to make an appearance if I can.

The tobacco's I bought are Brigham "Mark Twain" and "afternoon delight" as well as Peterson "Gold Blend".

I haven't tried the Peterson yet but I have test drove both the Brigham's. They both aromatics and light easy and stay lit. Both are mild, very smooth, and cool. The room note is very pleasant with the afternoon delight being more pronounced which as the name says, is a real afternoon delight to smoke but not something you would smoke off and on all day. The Mark Twain is an all day type tobacco with a less pronouced note and a more mellow softer flavouring. In short I like them both and will keep both in my rotation. PICTURE will be ATTACHED as soon as someone tells me how...lol

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Ok sorry all for being a noob but I think I figured out how to post the picture.

Now if I can just figure out why my avatar doesn't show.

pipe1-600x307.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I haven't had their Mark Twain in quite a while but it was the first tobacco I ever put in a pipe and I do remember liking it. Maybe I'll get myself some sometime for the sake of nostalgia.

Brigham has a good bunch of tobaccos out there. I have to recommend their virginia flake (bulk or tinned are both dynamite), Brigham Balkan is the one that started me down the path of english tobaccos, and the Old Irish isn't too bad at all; lightly topped with a nice room note and a good old burley flavour (apparently close to "Barking Dog").
Those Lorenzetti pipes are great. Not too expensive, a fine smoke, and a looker.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Ah, excellent choice of pipe.
I just paid $68 to fill up my truck ( :x :crying: )
And I've been wondering why I almost bankrupted myself in order to do it.
I've been wanting to go to Smoker's Paradise and I think I might, thanks for the inspiration. :puffy:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Nice!
Whenever I go to a B&M to buy tobacco I usually end up with a pipe too. It is just too tempting, I mean, they are right there and you can touch them - unlike on the internet. :lol:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Its as bad at TAD can get. I always wind up getting a pipe when I go to the B&M. But they do have to stay open so I have a place to get away from the wife.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Ah victory cigars. I've been there a bunch of times, outside the GTA you'd be hard pressed to find a shop with a better selection of pipe tobaccos. Barkar, if you go back I recommend trying any of the Frog Morton line up. I believe he carries the whole line. And yeah, the owner is fantastic, an extremely personable dude. Every time we end up chatting for a bit.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Are the frog morton's, english or aromatic blends? And yes I actually saw them on the end of the counter when I was there.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
They're Englishy blends. All of them have latakia in them and On the Bayou has perique in it as well. My favourite would have to be On the Town or just the regular Frog Morton.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd recommend you tip-toe lightly into the English from Aromatic world. I jumped in fast and bought some blends I just didn't care for, slowly giving them away until I narrowed down my focus. Choices can be a bit mind-numbing, but it will make sense to you over time.
I was looking at some Lorenzetti's at J&R Cigars in NJ earlier this week, they sure looked like a well-built pipe at a decent price (most around $7X US dollars).

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks Al for your advise. I have already had a bad experience with buying the wrong thing and here in Canada that mistake costs about 25 bucks.

I have no clue about english blends and would appreciate any suggestions for a tobacco that would be best for an aromatic smoker to test drive.

As for the Lorenzetti pipe, I have smoked several bowls in it now with several different tobacco's and I really like this pipe. I think I may even like it better then my Brigham's and they are nice smokers too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Frog series is a pretty good bet, but I didn't care for them somehow.
I really like GL Pease blends, Chelsea Morning and Meridian are favorites. Boswells "Magnum" is also a good mild English, but not sure how easy that is for you to get. All three are low in the nicotine department. I do not like a blend that leaves me woozy or lightheaded. I do like a little cavendish in my English and Boswell uses that in most of his (Countryside, Northwoods, Mild English & Magnum).
The max nicotine English blend I enjoy is Dunhill MM965. I have not tried their Mild blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.