PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I got a new Peterson B42 for Christmas. This is my first Peterson and I'm amazed. It is a BIG bowl but that is why I chose it. After about 15 bowls of 965, I am amazed. It is heads above the smoke I get from any of my other pipes. It is VERY cool smoking, and stays lit for almost the entire bowl. Is it because it is such a large bowl? My MM Country Gentleman is about the same size but nowhere near as good a smoke. Is it because of the design? Why is it such a good smoking pipe? What say you the hive?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
In general, I find that larger pipes with a chamber of at least .8” smoke better for anything except shag cuts. I've never tried smoking a bent and stuffed flake in anything with a chamber larger than .75", though. Maybe I will, if I find myself with an extra few hours. :wink: I especially like VA and VA Per blends in large bowls.
I also believe that the added mass provided by the thick briar walls of the pipe help in some fashion. Some speculate that they cool the smoke. It could also be that they insulate the ember. Dunno. It just seems to work for me.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I say it's just a good smoker. The planets aligned and you got great piece of briar. I'm sure almost every member here has experienced that with almost all brands.
Just my opinion, but I really don't think the extra 0,05 inches of bowl diameter will make a huge difference. I'll even go out on a limb and say it will make only a very minor difference, if any.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The B42 is .83" and 22% bigger than a typical 3/4" group 4 chamber. Don't dismiss the difference until you've tried it for yourself, bassbug.
I would've agreed with you a few months ago, until I methodically tested the same blend in various sizes of pipes. A friend did the same experiment and had the same conclusion. We both discovered that we like bigger pipes than we had believed. He has been smoking for 40 years, BTW.
Size matters, but bigger isn't necessarily better. The cut, the blend, your packing and puffing styles, moisture level of the tobacco and plain old personal preference are all factors which could impact which bowl size is optimal.

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats, Trout. I have a B42 Silver Spigot, and I love it. It is certainly a fantastic smoker. They do have a somewhat larger chamber, which (like the Sav 320) contributes I think to how well the tobacco burns. Larger chamber allowing more air into the bowl. The large round bowl certainly gives a very comfortable hand fill as well. Here's mine.
petersonb42a-600x450.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
But does the bowl size and shape affect the taste?
I contend that it does. In my testing, there was a significant flavor difference when smoking a ribbon-cut VaPer. I found less effect on the flavor with a mild or medium English like the OP's Dunhill 965. But your mileage may vary....
Regarding Anthony's B42 Silver Spigot... gorgeous!

kiltedpiper

Lurker
Dec 6, 2018
I've noticed that my Nording freehand with its 2" deep bowl and broad opening always tends to give me a lot more flavor. I usually chalk that up to getting lucky with the pipe and just the increased size/weight forcing me to smoke it a tad slower, which snowballs into being able to notice more of the flavor. I'm hoping to build the muscle memory to be able to get that out of any pipe, but that one is special to me and it always seems to treat me well.
The science says that the difference shouldn't mean anything, but the mysticism in smoking a pipe and the mindset it sets you in says otherwise. One of the fun little things to ponder while scenting my face-rug for the girls enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.