New Peterson 999 (Smokingpipes.com) with Sour Taste

(56 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by cwpiperman
  • Latest reply from craiginthecorn
  1. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Evenin' All,

I just received a new (unsmoked)Peterson Arklow Sandblasted Red 999 Fishtail. My first smoke with the new device was some SPC Potlatch, which I hadn't had before. The smoke was very notably sour, with a taste to the smoke like weak lemon juice, maybe something slightly stronger than weak. I wondered if it was the Potlatch, so my first experiment was to smoke some Mississippi River in the pipe, which I have REALLY enjoyed in the past. No sour taste in any of my Savinelli's or cobs. The MR too tasted notably sour in my new pipe. I am now trying out Potlatch in one of my Savinellis that has been a great smoker (My Savinelli Roma 673 KS).

While I evaluate the above, I did some research and found that Petersons used to be dip-stained, and that the stain was causing some issues. I also noted that some thought that the pre-carbonized bowl was causing the problem.

Is the "New Peterson sour-taste) still a "thing"? I'm guessing that I'll need to break the pipe in, but I haven't found this to have been a problem in any of my other pipes (all Savinellis up until this one, with some pre-carbonized). If it is, is a bourbon/vodka scrub in order?

Thanks, folks, advice much appreciated.

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Some people it doesn't bother, but I hate the taste of pre-carb bowls. I try to sand them out if possible. I'd say 3 or 4 bowls and you should be ok. I wouldn't bust out the Vodka quite yet.

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a Peterson 999 recently. It was unsmoked but not new. I don't know when it was made, but I think it might be within the last decade. Smoked perfectly from the first puff. This surprised me, as I have heard of the issues with dip stain and coatings. But it was a pleasant surprise.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beaten to the punch, but that could be the bowl coating you are tasting. Some have mentioned they get it from new Vauens as well. A little bit of sand paper and you should be good to go.

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Is there any stain in the mortise?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 11 months ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

On the few new Peterson's that I bought, I always dipped a paper towel in alcohol, scrunched it down into the bowl,and that removed most of the stain. As Chasingembers remarked, there probably is stain in the shank as well. Twist the same alcohol dipped towel into the shank and work that around as well (with the pick from a Czech tool, etc.)

Al

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

An alcohol dipped Q-tip in the mortise will do the trick as well.

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Is there any stain in the mortise?

Examining the mortise with a flashlight,there is quite a bit of red stain in the shank, extending into the mortise on the upper wall. About 2/3 of the circumference of the shank is covered with red stain.

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats why I no longer buy newer Petersons. Sorry you had to deal with a brand new pipe tasting like ass. A guy should be excited about smoking a new pipe but when it comes to Peterson pipes you often get let down. I hope at least they drilled it properly. As mentioned above, the entire interior shank of that hunk of briar-wood has been dip-stained. It will be difficult to get it all cleaned out. Damn shame.

Another Peterson slam-dunk dipper pipe. And Peterson GM, Mr. Palmer has gone on record saying they no longer dip stain their pipes. Yeah right, Tommy-boy

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  10. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

It will be difficult to get it all cleaned out. Damn shame.

Looks like I'll be dipping a lot of Q-tips in vodka.......

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think about how deep a stain solution gets absorbed into the wood. It penetrates quite deep. IMO, I wouldn't buy a new pipe and be expected to spend hours trying to clean the freakin' thing up. If it were my first time, I'd ask for a refund.

OTOH you'll see guys post here and state how they just "smoke through it." It doesn't bother them n the least.

Posted 11 months ago #
  12. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A bowl that has been pre carbonized should impart no taste whatsoever assuming it was just held over a burning gas nozzle and no coating was applied first.

If you are tasting anything unpleasant then chances are it is stain. As Al pointed out, check the shank out too. If there is stain in the bowl, it will be in the shank also.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  13. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

If there is stain in the bowl, it will be in the shank also.

You are correct: As I noted above, the shank is coated with red stain, which extends into the mortise. Since the pipe has been smoked by me, I suppose I'll have to go ahead and try to remove the stain or "smoke thru it".....I wonder if I should contact smokingpipes.com and let them know???

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  14. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At least it's a 999 ..... my favorite Peterson shape. Alcohol will fix the problems.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 11 months ago #
  15. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

If you get the vodka on the pipe it will ruin the finish so be careful. Most stains and shellacs used on pipes are alcohol based. I wouldn't even risk it on something new. It's a shame you have to refurbish your brand new pipe. The last few Pete's I bought had a heavy coating in the bowl but not stain. I second the refund option.

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've bought numerous Petersons new from SmokingPipes and have never experienced the stain in the bowl/shank myself. Every one of them has just had the normal break in briar taste on top of whatever blend I break it in with. Maybe people should just send me the money and have me buy their pipes for them since I seem to have such good luck lol.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 11 months ago #
  17. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use denatured alcohol and bristle cleaners to remove the stain in the shank. Just picked up a new Peterson, a spigot 106 and the first bowl was meh. After cleaning, the 2nd bowl smoked wonderfully. I ran six cleaners through it. The next cleaning process will have some stain on the cleaners as well, but not nearly as much.

Michael
    Posted 11 months ago #
  18. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yes, it is a shame that I would have to "refurb" a new pipe. I've got lots of Savinellis, and I haven't had this issue with them. I sent some draft-hole/mortise view pics to SmokingPipes (today, on a SUNDAY), and they are quite concerned; they would very much like to have the pipe back for further examination. They sent me a return label to send it back, and will either refund me or help me pick out a new pipe to replace it. Those guys are TOP NOTCH.

I'll post my pics as soon as I remember which URL they're at.....

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  19. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

And here they are. Take from them what you will. They're not that great, but my light was misbehaving.....

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always give high points for pipes that come without pre-carbing the bowls, but neither have I ever had a problem with pre-carb. I bought nearly all of my Petes about eight years ago, lower-end and mid-price pipes, and none of them have had quality control or problems breaking them in. Maybe with Laudisi buying them, Peterson will improve on this score, though the current inventory will be drifting through the system for some years. If you find the Pete designs irresistible, maybe best to just take the gamble. But it is a bitter disappointment to purchase a new pipe that requires restoration.

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe with Laudisi buying them, Peterson will improve on this score...

I hope so, too!

But it is a bitter disappointment to purchase a new pipe that requires restoration.

There are a number of Peterson shapes to which I am attracted, but having experienced this twice and being now bullet shy, I am in 'wait and see' camp.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 11 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

As Al pointed out, check the shank out too.

Didn't read the whole thread did you?

Examining the mortise with a flashlight,there is quite a bit of red stain in the shank

Thought so. Had the same problem with a 2017 SPD pipe. After a few smokes it went away, but glad SPC is working with you.

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always give high points for pipes that come without pre-carbing the bowls, but neither have I ever had a problem with pre-carb.

I had a custom pipe with a bowl coating, and it was nasty. I hated it. So much so, I won't buy one pre coated anymore.

Posted 11 months ago #
  24. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The standard Pete beat down! I'm willing to bet on a blind taste test very few to tell a carbonized bowl from a virgin!

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 11 months ago #
  25. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My 999 tasted nice from first puff. I have a Karl Erik billiard that is coated. The coating is noticeable when I smoke it, and I have smoked 20-30 bowls in it. I am slowly winning the fight, and it would never occur to me to cry about it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking at the up-side here, the Peterson 999 Rhodesian is a much-loved shape in all the various series. Mine is a Killarney, my only P-lip pipe. They are a good size and weight for smoking many different cuts and blends, and they are especially well balanced in hand. So once you get the non-tobacco taste worked out of yours, I think you will have a friend for life.

Posted 11 months ago #
  27. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm, some here suggesting the alkotreatment. I noticed a sticky 'cake' was building up on the upper section of my Vauen Basic and decided to ream it off with my Czech tool. Then I gave it a wipe with gin. I always wipe my pipes with a napkin after smoking them, wipe them again and again till the napkin comes clean; however, when I wiped the (clean) bowl with gin, a lot of black stuff came off. Was that the coating?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  28. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ Hey Workman maybe it’s just a Danish thing but I have also never tasted the bowl coatings on Peterson’s or Savinellis but the only two pipes I have that that tasted funky were both Danish. A Nording Signature that had a weird textured bowl coating (sort of rubbery) and a Tom Eltang poker. It has taken me 7 months but just today I finally had my first bowl in my Eltang poker that I did NOT taste the coating. It has been gradually disappearing with each bowl but took a very long time. But as I said I have bought several Pete’s with coated bowls and never had any strange taste at all. Maybe I’m just lucky.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 11 months ago #
  29. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never bought a new Pete with sloppy staining. Seems like when I hear of this occurring it is with lower end lines. Hopefully the new owners will nip it in the bud with even those lines.

Posted 11 months ago #
  30. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Vauen started doing this as well? No! I love my Vauen and was thinking of getting another. My Vauen may be my favorite pipe.

Posted 11 months ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

when I wiped the (clean) bowl with gin, a lot of black stuff came off. Was that the coating?

Could have been, but alcohol will remove carbon too.

Posted 11 months ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Vauen started doing this as well?

Bowl coatings? They've done that for a while. I have a couple from about 9 or 10 years back that came with it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  33. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I'm a dope. My Vauen was an estate.

Posted 11 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OP: the sour taste is likely the bowl coat Peterson uses. I have an unstained (nude) Pete that had the exact same sour taste as a brown stained Pete. Peterson, like many large scale manufacturers dip stain their pipes, but allegedly cap the ends to avoid interior stain. Clearly, this isn’t the case for you.

The thing about pipes is that they are always a work in progress. Sometimes you need to adjust an airway, sand a rim, bend a stem, or in this case remove errant staining....the user input will continue for as long as you use the pipe (reaming, cleaning, polishing, etc). Some times the pipe is well made but the briar needs seasoning and the only way to achieve this after the block is carved is through smoking. The point is a perfect pipes is a fallacy not a norm.

Think about how deep a stain solution gets absorbed into the wood. It penetrates quite deep. IMO, I wouldn't buy a new pipe and be expected to spend hours trying to clean the freakin' thing up. If it were my first time, I'd ask for a refund.

Ugh...if you believe this is the case go split one of your pipes. I’ll replace it if you can show deep stain penetration. Briar is as likely to deeply absorb anything as it is to burst in to flames while smoking. There’s a reason briar is used over balsa.

Posted 11 months ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Petes don't come with a pre-carbonized bowl. They are coated. Big difference.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the difference 'twixt those two methods?

(Sorry, google was most unhelpful here.)

Posted 11 months ago #
  37. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JpmCwjr:Correct,been doing this bowl pre carbonation and coating removals on each of my new Petersons and Stanwells,and Savinellis, my Petersons had the most thick innerbowl coatings ever imaginable,to remove that black mud'I had to use tons of alcohol dipped papertowels,I hate that, whereas my French make Briars all came with 'naked bowls.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 11 months ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carbonized: blackened due to application of heat, so the chamber is lightly charred. Don't know if any maker is doing that currently.
    Coating: a liquid is applied and dried.

Posted 11 months ago #
  39. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The coating I can't stand is the stuff in the HS Studio pipes. I'm don't trust the Chinese to coat stuff.

Sorry about your Pete. All mine have tasted great. And are less filling. So they are a win-win.

Posted 11 months ago #
  40. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do folks not break down a new pipe and clean it before the first smoke?

Posted 11 months ago #
  41. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

My Savinelli coated pipes have no "coating taste" that I can detect (including 2 Roma 673KSs, a Quandale and another churchwarden 601 Smooth. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do re: the Pete; thinking about it at this point.

I am slowly winning the fight, and it would never occur to me to cry about it.

Uh.....Ok?

CW

Posted 11 months ago #
  42. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Carbonized: blackened due to application of heat, so the chamber is lightly charred. Don't know if any maker is doing that currently."

John, Mike Billington of Blakemar Briars still uses the gas nozzle method. There is a YouTube video that shows him doing it.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 11 months ago #
  43. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do folks not break down a new pipe and clean it before the first smoke?

I usually do, for every new pipe, or new to me pipe. I treat new ones not much differently than if I buy an estate. I thoroughly clean it, but that doesn't help when a pipe has been dipped like that with the stain.

Cleaning is one thing. Entirely scrapping away at stain that shouldn't be in a certain place is completely different and you should not have to expect to do so when you purchase a new pipe. Breaking a pipe in should not include reaming out the shank or bowl of your new pipe. I was heavily weighing a purchase of a new Peterson pipe, but now this, along with other QC issues I've read about recently, are making me lean away from making a purchase until after we see how things progress under the new management. Still only one way to know if changes are going to be made or not, and that's to buy a new pipe.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 11 months ago #
  44. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The point was you would have seen the stain before smoking it and could have simply returned.

Posted 11 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

I would never buy a pipe that looked like that.
    It's ludicrously bad.

Posted 9 months ago #
  46. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My last pipe purchase was an unfinished Pete in a Dublin zulu shape, but it came pre-carbed, and has no ill flavor, so I suspect the bad tastes on other pipes come from dip staining. This little pipe is light weight, has a good sized bowl, and even has a nickel band. Kind of a charmer. I don't see unfinished Petes that often.

Posted 9 months ago #
  47. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Achhh! And I knew better! I'm smoking a previously unsmoked 1980s Sherlock Holmes Professor for the first time. It's part of a complete set I bought last weekend. These pipes have no bowl coating. My Goodness it's bitter! Being a big bowl, there's a goodly amount of Dorchester burning in it right now. I guess I'll tough it out and hit it with alcohol tonight.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

8 peterson in last 4 months or so. no issues. two of the pipes were strangely sweet. that was surprising, but wasn't a bad thing. all sherlock holmes pipes, one is system spigot.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Geez. No wonder it tasted horrible. Here's what came out of my STEM after the first bowl.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Craig, I feel your pain. I had one like that, but after I cleaned it I haven't had one issue.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're still dippin' those Petes, damn shame.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kola,this pipe was from 1988 or so, but unsmoked.

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cleaned both unsmoked 1980s pipes that I "restored" today. I had assumed that the stain I found in the stem of the pipe I'd already smoked earlier today had been carried by smoke and steam from my smoke. That is, until I cleaned the second, which remains unsmoked. Same ridiculous amount of stain in that stem! Bloody hell! What did they do?

Thank Goodness that practice has stopped!

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a similar experience with a Pete 999. The bowl was coated, so that wasn’t the issue. There was a bit of stain in the shank. After 5 minutes of alcohol cleaning with bristle brushes and qtips, 90% of the bad taste was gone on the next smoke. After 2 or 3 bowls it was completely gone.

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I clean ALL new pipes this way. The most recent Savinelli pipes arrived with stain in the shanks. I would bet most new, stained pipes have some stray stain in their shank.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I write, I smoking the same tobacco in the same pipe as yesterday, following a cleaning with alcohol. The bitterness is much less evident. It’s smoking like a champ, too, using Fred Hanna’s airpocket method. Cool, even, and with zero relights. I’m sold on the method for ribbones.I bet I loaded a full 4-5 grams and the pipe isn’t full, due to the airpocket. Like Don suggests, it’s not a bad idea to at least stick an alcohol-soaked pipe cleaner down the shank of any new pipe.

For the most part, I’ve been buying artisan pipes over the last year. This last weekend, I succumbed to PAD and bought the original issue Sherlock Holmes series, complete with two racks. Having been in the shop for literally 30 years, the stems were very badly oxidized, bowls dulled from second-hand tars, and the bowls dinged a bit here and there, undoubtedly from repeated tumbles from the rack. But after cleaning up the first three, I’ve very pleased. These pipes a generously-sized and thick-walled, but are comfortable in-hand and the bents clench beautifully. The draw is quite good — something I was worried about with the p-lips. The p-lips of this era had especially nice “buttons”. I overpaid, even if the owner thought I gave me a bargain, but I’m still very happy I bought them. It’s a very, very handsome 7-day set that will bring me untold hours of smoking and visual pleasure over the rest of my life.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   unkleyoda, pianopuffer, samuelgawith01, pitchfork, mikethompson