PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Evenin' All,
I just received a new (unsmoked)Peterson Arklow Sandblasted Red 999 Fishtail. My first smoke with the new device was some SPC Potlatch, which I hadn't had before. The smoke was very notably sour, with a taste to the smoke like weak lemon juice, maybe something slightly stronger than weak. I wondered if it was the Potlatch, so my first experiment was to smoke some Mississippi River in the pipe, which I have REALLY enjoyed in the past. No sour taste in any of my Savinelli's or cobs. The MR too tasted notably sour in my new pipe. I am now trying out Potlatch in one of my Savinellis that has been a great smoker (My Savinelli Roma 673 KS).
While I evaluate the above, I did some research and found that Petersons used to be dip-stained, and that the stain was causing some issues. I also noted that some thought that the pre-carbonized bowl was causing the problem.
Is the "New Peterson sour-taste) still a "thing"? I'm guessing that I'll need to break the pipe in, but I haven't found this to have been a problem in any of my other pipes (all Savinellis up until this one, with some pre-carbonized). If it is, is a bourbon/vodka scrub in order?
Thanks, folks, advice much appreciated.
CW

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Some people it doesn't bother, but I hate the taste of pre-carb bowls. I try to sand them out if possible. I'd say 3 or 4 bowls and you should be ok. I wouldn't bust out the Vodka quite yet.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I purchased a Peterson 999 recently. It was unsmoked but not new. I don't know when it was made, but I think it might be within the last decade. Smoked perfectly from the first puff. This surprised me, as I have heard of the issues with dip stain and coatings. But it was a pleasant surprise.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On the few new Peterson's that I bought, I always dipped a paper towel in alcohol, scrunched it down into the bowl,and that removed most of the stain. As Chasingembers remarked, there probably is stain in the shank as well. Twist the same alcohol dipped towel into the shank and work that around as well (with the pick from a Czech tool, etc.)

Reactions: Sawyerboy

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Is there any stain in the mortise?
Examining the mortise with a flashlight,there is quite a bit of red stain in the shank, extending into the mortise on the upper wall. About 2/3 of the circumference of the shank is covered with red stain.
CW

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Thats why I no longer buy newer Petersons. Sorry you had to deal with a brand new pipe tasting like ass. A guy should be excited about smoking a new pipe but when it comes to Peterson pipes you often get let down. I hope at least they drilled it properly. As mentioned above, the entire interior shank of that hunk of briar-wood has been dip-stained. It will be difficult to get it all cleaned out. Damn shame.
Another Peterson slam-dunk dipper pipe. And Peterson GM, Mr. Palmer has gone on record saying they no longer dip stain their pipes. Yeah right, Tommy-boy

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Think about how deep a stain solution gets absorbed into the wood. It penetrates quite deep. IMO, I wouldn't buy a new pipe and be expected to spend hours trying to clean the freakin' thing up. If it were my first time, I'd ask for a refund.
OTOH you'll see guys post here and state how they just "smoke through it." It doesn't bother them n the least.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A bowl that has been pre carbonized should impart no taste whatsoever assuming it was just held over a burning gas nozzle and no coating was applied first.
If you are tasting anything unpleasant then chances are it is stain. As Al pointed out, check the shank out too. If there is stain in the bowl, it will be in the shank also.
Regards,
Jay.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
If there is stain in the bowl, it will be in the shank also.
You are correct: As I noted above, the shank is coated with red stain, which extends into the mortise. Since the pipe has been smoked by me, I suppose I'll have to go ahead and try to remove the stain or "smoke thru it".....I wonder if I should contact smokingpipes.com and let them know???
CW

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
If you get the vodka on the pipe it will ruin the finish so be careful. Most stains and shellacs used on pipes are alcohol based. I wouldn't even risk it on something new. It's a shame you have to refurbish your brand new pipe. The last few Pete's I bought had a heavy coating in the bowl but not stain. I second the refund option.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've bought numerous Petersons new from SmokingPipes and have never experienced the stain in the bowl/shank myself. Every one of them has just had the normal break in briar taste on top of whatever blend I break it in with. Maybe people should just send me the money and have me buy their pipes for them since I seem to have such good luck lol.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I use denatured alcohol and bristle cleaners to remove the stain in the shank. Just picked up a new Peterson, a spigot 106 and the first bowl was meh. After cleaning, the 2nd bowl smoked wonderfully. I ran six cleaners through it. The next cleaning process will have some stain on the cleaners as well, but not nearly as much.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yes, it is a shame that I would have to "refurb" a new pipe. I've got lots of Savinellis, and I haven't had this issue with them. I sent some draft-hole/mortise view pics to SmokingPipes (today, on a SUNDAY), and they are quite concerned; they would very much like to have the pipe back for further examination. They sent me a return label to send it back, and will either refund me or help me pick out a new pipe to replace it. Those guys are TOP NOTCH.
I'll post my pics as soon as I remember which URL they're at.....
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
And here they are. Take from them what you will. They're not that great, but my light was misbehaving.....
Mortise_1.jpg

Mortise_2.jpg

CW

Status
Not open for further replies.