PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Ran over to the local B&M and they had these in stock. Looks like the tinned Stonehaven was an indication of what was to come.
a84782cf-f5bc-40b5-a8f8-e857d9655040_zpsnqkwngfi.jpg
[/url][/img]

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looks odd to me. Crooked? Fake? Seems like a company with such high standards could put a label on that would fit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A lot of Esoterica blends used to be tinned. Of course, those were round tins, which hold a better seal. It's a great way to make more money off of the consumer.
The other day I picked up a few bags of Stonehaven and asked if they had any Dunbar in stock. They had the new tins only, so I passed. I have bags of it, and don't feel like spending even more by buying it in tins.
The label is clearly made for a different shape. Maybe it's just what is available commercially for printing.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Sable, I went through about 5 tins of Dunbar before opening my first 8oz bag. The tobacco in the tins seemed to be a higher quality. They were older, though. Tobacco had darkened considerably and the wax paper was nicely browned. There's merit in the tins, but that's just from a small sample size.

Jun 27, 2016
Quote from vvvvv this thread...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stonehaven-tins
Nate
Nope not bootleg. Apparently because the FDA thing, they are afraid that the packaging of 8oz bags will have problems. This comes directly from skip. The package came straight from Germain part of a HUGE shipment received at The Briary this morning. I can honestly say with 100% assurance this is not bootleg. This is factory packaging.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, I went through about 5 tins of Dunbar before opening my first 8oz bag. The tobacco in the tins seemed to be a higher quality. They were older, though. Tobacco had darkened considerably and the wax paper was nicely browned. There's merit in the tins, but that's just from a small sample size.
I suspect the difference is due to the extra bit of aging rather than a separate production run for the tins.
If Germain's is giving up on the 8oz bags, as is stated in the quote, then I'm happy I stocked up. An 8oz bag will last me 1 to 2 years, based on my rate of consumption.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Interestingly enough they had some Stonehaven tins too (unfortunately spoken for) and the labels are now rounded at the corners Vs. having the pointed corners that were previously released. On another note I'm wondering how these B&M's are getting stock, but all the online retailers are still "sold out" or backordered?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On another note I'm wondering how these B&M's are getting stock, but all the online retailers are still "sold out" or backordered?
From what I can tell, shipments don't all go out on the same day. If you're lucky you can score a bag from one of the online dealers for less than most B&M prices. Keep in mind that 4noggins doesn't list the unobtainium when it's in stock. You have to call. But the online stores get an allotment like everybody else and it quickly sells out.
But a lot of B&M's get their allotments and it doesn't sell out in a nanosecond because they don't have an online presence, or they don't list it in stock when they do have it. If you're willing to make the effort and don't mind paying a little more you can often find hard to find blends. Phoning around works. That's how I built up my stash.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Well noted Sable. Thanks for the heads up.
Hombre, I only expect after I cellar the tins for a while then open them up, there will be songbirds singing and a heavenly quire harking to acknowledge the breaking of the unicorn seal. :rofl:

......And I will enjoy it in all its splendor. 8)

May 4, 2015
Actually, when you open it, LL Cool J's back-up fly girls burst through your door and perform a 45 minute choreographed routine. Don't pack too large a bowl. They charge time-and a half past a 45-min set.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Definitely not done by a machine. Although the labels are identical between the penzance and stonehaven tins. One could think they might be transitioning to a newer and cheaper system of tinning, and they are just in the middle of a transitional phase. Or maybe they got bought out by Mac Baren?

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
We're probably gonna see a lot of cost cutting in the future. As long as tobacco quality doesn't suffer, I can live with it. I do like a nice package though.

Jun 27, 2016
sablebrush52
If Germain's is giving up on the 8oz bags, as is stated in the quote...
Well it doesn't quite state that, but I think that it has been the most interesting third-hand statement made about these new tins so far. Although I thought that the new warning labels aren't going to be required for almost another 2 years. Plus I'm not entirely clear on the status of the Esoterica line and the cutoff date, so it might be a moot point anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.