PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi everyone! I will be going to New Orleans next week and am wondering about 2 things:

1. I need advice on hand-carrying pipes and tobacco.

2. Recommended tobacconists near the French Quarter. I did not rent a car. Near enough for a cab ride maybe?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Hey, when will you be in New Orleans? Our club meeting is Tuesday the 19th from 5:30-9:30.,,,you can smoke on Bourbon stree without any problem or in any bar or restaurant courtyard...besides that...you can not smoke within 25 feet of a business establishments door..that being said, no one is enforcing the law...so ur good to smoke just about anyplace outside...let me know if you wSnt yo attend our meeting, we can arrange a ride...Crescent City Cigar has pioes and a small supply of tobacvo..they are in the Quarter...there are cigar shops in the quarter, just not much Pipe related....

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nola CAjun knows NOLA! I found the city to be one of the friendliest to smokers that I've encountered. I think you'll enjoy yourself if you can make the club meeting. Have fun!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
This is awesome. this will be the first pipe club meeting I go to. it figures I would make this one before the New York Pipe Club. So for the plane situation, I can hand carry my pipe stuff right?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, you can take everything on the plane (carry-on) with the exception of lighters. I pack my Zippo case (emtpy) in my carry on, but put the butane inset (2) in my toilet kit of checked luggage.
I recently posted this to another thread on pipe cases/carry. This solution worked perfectly for air travel.
Text: We just spend a week on the road, via air travel. I don't mind packing one of my pipe bags for travel in the car, but none really felt secure enough to put in an overhead bin and stashing one at my feet doesn't seem prudent either. I used this setup for a 2nd time and it worked wonderfully.

Xhale hard shell foam zip case (I think this actually might be for glass pipes..)

$10 on Ebay

It holds five pipes in bags, nice and snug zipped. A small pouch of cleaners tucks in as well

11205161_1115566488459345_2272499747587565216_n.jpg

Single pipe/tobacco pocket case.

https://scontent-1.2914.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11205161_1115566488459345_2272499747587565216_n.jpg?oh=24a88e4615975ed8f387653932cf8a0b&oe=55D6F15F

The pocket bag, Xhale foam case and tins go in a small, shoulder hard-shell cooler. This is secure in the overhead and actually gets cooler use at the beach during the week. It also holds all of our electronic gear, chargers, etc.

My little one-pipe zipper fold over for use around town. (it was so windy in Puerto Rico, I primarily smoked on the balcony)

The cooler, Xhale case and small pocket bag were about $30 and they offer very secure air-travel for pipes. Larger Xhale cases are available, but I find five pipes for a week is sufficient.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the input. it looks like I will finally use that pipe bag that mr.english gave me. Now, to decide which blends to share;)

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
We will have more blends and tins than you can imagine...please don't bring anything on our account...just come enjoy the fellowship...looking forward to meeting you guys

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I visited Crescent City Cigar when I was there in 2013. Seemed like a good place. They had a small, but decent selection of pipes. I ended up picking one up as a memento of the trip, first trip back since Katrina. We'll likely be going back there again sometime later this year.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Come the week of October 3rd and you can also attend the New Orleans Pipe Show
Yeah, would love to make that happen. We need to work around the kids' school schedule, mostly make sure one or other set of grandparents are available to watch them that weekend.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You have to make it to the Tobacco Exchange on Exchange Place, which is just a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street, cross street is Bienville. They have a good selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. Hope to see you at the NOLA Club meting!

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Yep forgot about Tobacco Exchange also Mayan Import on Magazine Street....they aren't in the French a Quarter, but only a quick cab ride away

Status
Not open for further replies.