PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Most of my 29 pipes are estates. In fact, only 5 of my pipes were bought new, and 2 of them are cobs. The other three are briars. I like estates, because they have already been broken in, and they are typically cheaper. Sure they may take some work or extra money to make them smokable, but it is usually worth it. I have made friends with a member of this forum Cajunguy, who can restore anything. He has restored many pipes for me. One of which I feared was not salvageable, but he pulled it from the wreckage. It was a good thing too, because it is a Guildhall London Pipe, which is a Comoys second. It looks brand new, and smokes like a dream. All of my estate pipes I got for under $50, and all are good-great smokers. One is he crown jewel of my collection, a meer that I got for $41.55 counting shipping. So, which do you prefer, new or estates?
This is the meer I was talking about. There are deals to be had on ebay!

KGrHqJHJCoE9NpbhhBPTEfDfcqw60_35.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Most of my pipes are estates. I guess I like them, especially for briars, because if you get a good one, it's just a cleaning and ready to smoke! I will say, though, that there's nothing like watching a new Meer take color for the first time!

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I prefer new pipe. That being said there are some pipes that I wouldn't have be it price or age if I hadn't gotten them estate.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I avoid estates because the first one I ever bought was seriously ghosted with Lakeland scent, burned-out, and patched

with pipe mud. Fortunately, I bought it from a reputable dealer, and I returned it for a full refund. That still leaves

a bad taste in my mouth though, because in the end I got burned for round trip postage, and nothing to show for it.
Another reason for me to avoid estates is that someone in the forums here asked what he should do with a pipe that accidentally

fell in the toilet. Among the many suggestions was "sell it on eBay". 'Nuff said. :puffy:

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
If can buy it brand new, I will but estate are also good. Sometimes if the bowl looks like it's been in storage for years, I ream it and boil the bowl in alcohol, changing the alcohol about 3 or 4 times depending how much tar is removed then I give it a new stain, polish, buff, wax and wait about 2 or 3 days before I smoke it.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like new. But I won't rule out picking up an estate in the future. Good analogy hobie.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't rule out estates by any means. I just picked up two nice ones recently. However, given the choice I will always go with new. Just a matter of preference.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
While the I bought the majority of my pipes new, almost of my higher end pipes are estates. It is just way beyond my current means to pay full price nowadays.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I prefer estates. They can usually be returned to (or very close to) new condition and they save me a ton of money. Plus, as I've said someplace else I think, I like the potential history attached. Even if it's just a story that you made up in your head about the possible provenance of the pipe, I enjoy it very much.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like estates that are lightly smoked, in perfect condition and at a fraction of their original cost. All the estates I have purchased fit into that profile. Yes I have bought plenty of new ones, but only because I was able to get them for below wholesale. Why pay 500.00 for a pipe when chances are you can buy an estate in great condition for 100-150? To me it is like the same thing as buying a new car, I let someone else pay for the depreciation.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I have no opinion. I've been burned on both new and used, and have filed the lessons learned. I do know that I enjoy a lot of pipes that I wouldn't have been able to afford off the shelf.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Why pay 500.00 for a pipe when chances are you can buy an estate in great condition for 100-150?

Thats why I do it. Plus I like the thrill of bidding on things. I feel accomplished when I beat somone by 50 cents in the last 10 seconds of an auction. Plus I like looking through all the pipes on ebay. All of the coolest pipes I have are estates
Here are some before and afters of an estate cajunguy restored for me

Before

100_5167.jpg

100_5080.jpg

100_5078.jpg

After

2012-04-051858481.jpg

Here are some other estates of mine

A Wally Frank Rhodesian. I love the look of this pipe. It's like a Cavalier-Rhodesian Hybrid.

KGrHqNl8E8Vlnsv2qBPZnGjYfQ60_35.jpg

A zeppelin Pipe. Used On Zeppelins. The ash and sparks were contained so people wouldn't blow themselves up

415899_339165586104776_100000340116388_1216082_174224496_o.jpg

My first calabash. Got a great deal on it

sdgs.jpg

Turkmeer Billiard. Practically new, with original box

KGrHqNHJsE9vBPNuSMBPgsppvclg60_35.jpg

A plain meer I got from a member here for $7. It is my most smoked pipe. I'v smoked it 1-3 times a day since I got home from school

0405021214.jpg

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I prefer new but started out with a lot of estates to get a good rotation going. I've since sold off most of my estates and replaced them with newer pipes as I can afford them. That being said, I do have a few estates that I will likely never sell.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I really like estates, but I haven't received my two Storient Meer's yet as the forum pipe and another one I am having made are still in the fabrication process. Those two new ones(my first ever Meer's), I am confident are gonna be great smokers and a pleasure to behold for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.