PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Recently cleaned up this LHS pipe. I haven't been able to find out much about it, but I like the old time classic lines.
lhs_zps0652f76e.jpg

Then here's this no-name monstrosity that I think will be a favorite. It has a large deeply carved meershaum lined bowl for cool smoking on long outdoor excursions.
noname_zps99265ead.jpg

Next up will be a "Doodler" that just arrived today. I've always wanted one after reading some posts here in the forum. Seems to be the "Edsel" of the pipe world.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tuold:
There was a time when the LHS line rivaled the best of the machine made pipes in this country. I've owned several and they were all decent to good burners but mine were from the lower end of their production line.
"The Doodler" is an entirely different story and you're probably spot on with the Edsel reference: great design concept and well executed making for a slightly odd but cool as hell look. Problem is all the drilling weakened what was left of the bowl and they were prone to cracks and burnouts. (I've owned six and will be down to two as soon as I ship one off this weekend to gmwolford.)
That said, I'm still an unabashed fan of the great Tracy Mincer and his ability to turn the sow's ear into a silk purse. Blemished bowl? No problem. Route some gouges through the imperfections and let's sell it.
He might have been a less than astute businessman, but he was a marketing genius.
Have fun with yours. More than likely it'll end up being a rack duchess, but you'll still be glad to have it on the shelf.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@fnord,
Here's the Doodler, a little worse for wear but seems to be serviceable. I'll let it rest for 24 hours then give it a try. BTW, it was listed on eBay as "The Boodler" just as others in the forum have seen it. That Germanic looking "D" seems to throw a lot of sellers off.
doodler_zps610f9a55.jpg

boodler_zps7d4e6f71.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
LHS went out of business in or around 1959/60. Any pipe made by them is very old now. I have one my wife bought me. Actually smoked it last night.
The Bavarian

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Voorhees, if I saw one of those up for bid I just might exceed my bidding limits! Very interesting.
I'll have another LHS estate pipe arriving next week. It was owned by a 95 year old man living in Moses Lake, Washington. Nice to have a little provenience for a change. I'll be motivated to take my time rejuvenating it with respect to its former owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.