PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

evenflow

Lurker
May 11, 2013
Hello everyone my name is Chris and i just recently started smoking a pipe. i have always been intrigued but never tried for some reason, but wish i had considering how much i enjoy it it's so relaxing it feels almost like new love lol. unfortunately i live in a rural area with no tobacco shops of the sort so i'm kind of on my own with learning my new hobby and not entirely sure what a good tobacco would suit best for me. i'm very interested in flavored and aromatics. suggestions?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome aboard evenflow!
You've found a great database for info. Have fun going back through the tobacco threads to learn about folks' favourite aros. I can't help much there.
Good to have you here.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chris, Welcome to Forums and to pipe smoking. Since you are in a rural area, you will have best access

to tobaccos online, and the least expensive way to sample a number of tobaccos at reasonable

cost is by buying bulk tobacco. You can buy a variety in 2 oz. quantities until you learn what you like.

Smokingpipes.com has a good variety at competitive prices. One standard aromatic that lots of people

like is Lanes 1Q. If you'll read through some of the tobacco discussion, you'll get lots of ideas for

blends to try. Take it slow, a few blends at a time. Enjoy.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard, Chris,and welcome to the hobby. You've got good advice so far, so I will only add my usual advice to beginners - smoke the best tobacco you can afford, in the best pipes you can afford. :puffy:

evenflow

Lurker
May 11, 2013
any idea's on maybe a good place to find sampler's i don't have much for a budget so being able to try befor i buy would be great

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Welcome to the forums Chris. Plenty of good threads to follow up on here, and plenty good advise already given. Lane's 1Q is a favorite Aro among many. As is Captain Black White. You may want to try Prince Albert and Carter Hall as good OTC Burley blends. Alternatively, you could try sampler packs from Cornell & Diehl for Aro, English and Virginias, available here:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/index.cfm
Good way to see what you like.

Welcome aboard.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Welcome, as a fellow "new guy" this site is a gold mine for advice and good talks. I recently tried some Borkum Riff Scandinavian Blend, so far its my fave from them. But just have a looksy around the site, so much good info. Have fun.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Welcome! My advice? Try EVERYTHING! I'm a lover of aro's, englishes, straight flakes and everything inbetween!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Welcome to the forums!! My favorite site is pipesandcigars.com *all the sponsors are great though, can't go wrong* P&C has a wonderful house blend called hearth and Holmes that offers a great selection of tobaccos. My advise is try to get some of every type of tobacco. My personal favorites are berry nice *aro* Larry's blend *latika foward english* and anniversary kake *a vigina Perq blend* all of which are available in the hearth and Holmes sampler. What blends have you tried so far? Also the dumbest thing you can do is not ask questions, I still learn things daily on this forum and have been smoking for a wee bit already :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
All I can say is don't write off english blends. I always thought I'd be an aro smoker, but I fell in love with natural tobacco after finding most aro's don't taste like they smell. But 3 blind moose by 4 noggins actually tastes like butterscotch.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Don't write off anything, of you don't like it store it *simple and cheap instructions found on this site* and try it again in a few months. Your Taste change and so does the baccy in time.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome to the forum, Chris. You're no longer alone.
You couldn't find a better or friendlier place for advice and support on your new hobby.
You already got some advice on aromatic blends from those who smoke them. I too suggest trying Prince Albert and Carter Hall for starters and be open to trying English and Virginia blends.
I don't know how many pipes you have, but I suggest getting a few corn cobs to help build your initial rotation of pipes. You could buy them individually or get a grab bag of 10 pipes from Missouri Meerschaum.
You will find that the online tobacco sellers have a large selection of tobacco and ship pretty quickly.
Welcome aboard and happy smoking!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Welcome, you can get a nice sampler blends for 4noggins, smokingpipes.com, or cigars international.

edj5

Lurker
May 5, 2013
Welcome Chris,I am new here also. There is a world of information here and everyone is very helpful. Enjoy!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
"Welcome to The Club" evenflow

I started pipesmoking back in November and would have been lost without this site and the fantastic members.

What I have found to work for me when first starting was to buy different types of tobaccos in bulk 2oz at a time then I would keep out 1/2 oz to smoke and jar up the other 1 1/2 oz for later. Make sure you keep a log of what you like and what you don't and why. (I wish I would have done this). If you want a great smoking pipe at a great price go with Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipes, you can get a grab bag of 10 pipes for $30 on their website.

And as you have most likely heard already "Smoke What You Like and Like What You Smoke"

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Welcome to what has for me turned out to be a very relaxing hobby!!
New to the pipe myself, and started with a tobacco from the shop where I got my first pipe. They named it "Mark Twain"; then tried Captain Black White. Both of these are pretty good. From there I ordered from 4noggins some Peterson's Luxury Blend, Connoisseur's Choice, DeLuxe Mixture as well as some Carter Hall. Great experience with online order through 4 noggins. Of all the tobaccos I have so far, the Peterson's and the Mark Twain are my favorite.

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
Hey Chris - I too am relatively new to pipe smoking; however I am really enjoying it now and am somewhat proficient in smoking my pipes...some things I wish people would've suggested to me...
--try a few of english, virginia, and aromatics - those are the three broad categories which each have a lot of internal variations - people kept saying "oh you're not ready for X yet" but that was complete nonsense, I particularly like strong English tobaccos
--pick up a decent briar estate pipe and restore it(I've found most of my pipes for

Status
Not open for further replies.