PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindog

Lurker
May 9, 2018
Michigan
Hello from Michigan! I'm still learning a lot of new things about smoking pipes and enjoying all of it. None of the B&M's around have good selections of tobacco so I mostly just smoke captain black and carter hall, but I am looking to try new flavors. I also just bought my first briar pipe and I'm very excited to try it out.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy, dawg! "Da UP," or somerz else? }:) Pick yourself up a couple of inexpensive cobs, & it'll help you break the briar in without over-using it.
One of the best parts about this hobby to me is the actual hobbyist aspect of it. There are a lot of good blends already out there, any of which will make a good smoke, but the most fun I think I've ever had is mixing my own & getting it jusssst right. (Admittedly I had an advantage, since for a number of years I was in pipe shops where I had the luxury of access to 20+ blends & straight tobaccos. My all-time favorite was a spicy aromatic I worked up in the early 80s; when I left the store to work for the govt I mixed up 10 lbs of it to take with me. My only regrets are that I didn't make it 30 & didn't write down the mixture!)

smokindog

Lurker
May 9, 2018
Michigan
Thanks for all the warm welcomes :) I'm down by Detroit, but I do love the UP. Do you grow your own tobacco bnichols23? Thats very cool. Hopefully some day you'll finally replicate that one good blend! I brew my own beer and wine and I always make sure to write everything down so I can make sure I can recreate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome smokingdog. My dad's family bought a sandy soil farm in western lower Michigan and summered there during his growing up years, with no electricity or running water. It was west of Muskegon and the lake shore, a tiny town of two or three stores called Holton. I camped there while the family still owned it, and the house was still standing, and I bathed in the "crick" which effectively froze ones entire body, or so it seemed. The family siblings divided up the property and eventually sold it collectively to a family for a Christmas tree farm. When I was there, it was mostly dairy farms. My dad knew a lumberjack up there named Walt Snow, when my dad was young. The local people were kind to us (my buddy and I, high school age) and knew from our story that we were family of the owners of the farm. Lots of good information on the Forums -- history, pipe and tobacco lore, interesting discussions.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Nope, don't grow my own, but managed a few shops back in the day, so I had access to a lot of different tobaccos for mixing. That was long ago in a galaxy that doesn't even exist anymore, sadly. [Tinder Box in Tallahassee in the 70s, & a tobacconist in Landover Mall, MD -- both long gone now. :(]

Status
Not open for further replies.