PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Well got my new piece of machinery in today after a 60 day wait from the factory. My second pipe that I was working on ended up having a nice sized crack a little to close to the base of the bowl that I said ahh just going to use this one to test out the new tool then just smoke it the way it is. Needless to say this sucker hauls when you turn it on. Briar dust everywhere but well worth the wait. Anybody else get a new piece of machinery this year for building pipes? Was it worth the wait to get it?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The closest I've gotten to pipe machinery is my British Buttner reamer.
If I do well with this, my wife may let me get the scissors that are pointy on the end... :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Hahahaha. :rofl: Drill press is next had fun talking her into the machinist lathe for next January.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
Perhaps I missed something somewhere, but what machinery did you get? I enjoy working with wood and have made things like longbows and kitchen utensils, as well as many other oddball projects. I am kind of interested in what I would start with for making pipes.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
This is the only photo I have of it right now. It has an 80 grit belt on it right now but with it spinning at 3500 rpm I am having to order finer grit sandpaper since it is taking it off way faster than what I want it to.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Is that an old typewriter you have sitting open next to the dust storm? Whether it works, or not, have the decency to cover it up man. 8O

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Yea that is project #2 on the list. 1920's L.C Smith desktop(I know your saying duh it has to have a weight of 40lbs). Platen is cracking so having one custom made and have to re-machine a couple of cogs for the ribbon set. And paint.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Is that an old typewriter you have sitting open next to the dust storm? Whether it works, or not, have the decency to cover it up man.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The f..k Stan! Careful when dropping such lines.

Almost drowned sipping my morning coffee.... :rofl:

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
When I got into pipe making, I wasted soooooo much money buying the wrong machines. In the end, the most critical machines for me were: A stable drill press, a disk sander (for shaping the stumbles) and a shop vac. Once I got good enough with those then a 12' disk sander for squaring the blocks before drilling and a band saw made life easier.

brock957

Lurker
Mar 1, 2018
brendhain, Thank you so much. I've been agonizing over what to get. A lathe which I really can't afford or a drill press and a belt sander. I even have those 2 along with a drill press vice in a home depot cart. I'll order them tomorrow.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It has an 80 grit belt on it right now but with it spinning at 3500 rpm I am having to order finer grit sandpaper since it is taking it off way faster than what I want it to.
That's one bad ass typewriter if it will do all that!... 8O

firewater

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
so thats how pipe makers stamp there names on the pipe's. with an old type writer. lol. im jealous of that belt sander, im putting it in my tool wish list.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I've been meaning to get a drill press for many years. There are extremely versatile tools. I might have gotten one ahead of a sander, but that's me. Those upright belt sanders are wunnerful too. Does that one swivel down 90 degrees so you can use it like you would a grinding wheel?

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Yea this one rotates the 90 degrees. I'm not getting the drill press till next month since I have to finish the shop but this makes it to where I can work with the drill blocks a little more evenly for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.