PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
need help- just ordered five new tobaccos blended from j m boswell have new ball canning jars do you wash them first and then add the tobaccos do you put any thing in jars to keep it fresh

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
There's differing opinions. I know some people wash their mason jars first, but I just put the tobacco directly in after unwrapping them, and no issues thus far. And no need to put anything else in the jars other than the tobacco, just seal tightly and store them in a dry place and away from direct sunlight.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I know some people wash their mason jars
Aha so it's another word for mason jar! I read "ball canning jars" and was like, excuse me WTF?!?!

The Ball Mason jar company, they merged quite a while back. Some areas of the US still call them Ball jars, and the rest of us call the Mason jars.

I wash used jars by hand, but new ones I do not. But people can do what they want. In the thread from last week where we discussed this, there was a study that was posted that showed that after washing your jars they were more dirty and contaminated than if you just used them fresh w/o washing.
But, as with all things, everyone is free to do what they want.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I don't wash my jars between uses, but I do use a fresh lid. I let them air out for a few days before refilling, and haven't noticed any carry-over smells or taste.

Gogo, ha ha, I rarely ever smoke from what I have set back. While I have a room full of canning jars, they are mostly quart sizes, which is too large for tobacco, IMO, so I still buy the pints and half pints for my cellaring of tobacco. They're cheap,and you cannot have too many jars.

But, what I smoke is just kept in the tin or a ziplock till I finish it. On blue moons I will pop a jar, but mostly when I finish a jar it sets in the canning room till I need a jar, and my wife hand washes them for me after they've been emptied. So, yeh, but smoking from the jars probably won't start for quite a few years to get some age on the stuff that I have set back. Retirement, which is just around the corner for me, that's when the jars will get used mostly.
That's just me, I don't see much harm in reusing a jar right away without washing. As long as there wasn't a mold problem or heavy aroma left in the jar, what would be the bad. I would never use a dishwasher though. If you watch a video of what happens inside those things, you're just as good to rinse the jars in piss, IMO. Ha ha!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You could just rinse out the jar with grain alcohol and let it air dry, but that doesn't necessarily kill mold. (I've opened alcohol pads that had mold on them) The stuff that kills mold you wouldn't want on your tobacco.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
If you bought the Boswell branded blends in 2oz sizes, they'll come in a baggie, inside of a threaded "tin" - if you've ever seen an old style threaded 35mm film canister, it's similar in thickness. I think they're kinda cool even if they are the mason jar type lid.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tad bit of bleach, with a splash of Dawn, wash with warm water, and rinse with cold. Set the oven to 200 to 215 and bake until dry. Let them cool with lids on, not sealed, and finally add the tobacco. Probably overkill but I live in an old home.

Status
Not open for further replies.