PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
lestrout got the following letter from his Congressman. I copied it and sent it to my congressman for comment and support. I urge other here to do likewise. This may be our only shot at changing things for the better.
I just got this nice response from my Congressman Costello. I am impressed by the thoroughness of the following. Is anyone else hopeful?
"Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 2058, the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
H.R. 2058 was introduced by Representative Tom Cole of Oklahoma and would revise U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate certain, new tobacco products. In particular, H.R. 2058 would revise the predicate date as of which new tobacco products would become subject to FDA authority. Under 2009’s Tobacco Control Act, those tobacco products introduced after February 15, 2007, which are “deemed” substantially equivalent to existing tobacco products, would be subject to FDA approval and regulation. H.R. 2058 would move this predicate date from February 15, 2007, to that date on which the FDA issues its final regulations regarding “deemed” tobacco products.
As you may know, in May 2016, the FDA issued final regulations regarding “deemed” tobacco products. In particular, those regulations would expand that agency’s authority to regulate e-cigarettes, all cigars, hookah, pipe tobacco, nicotine gels, and other products, effective as of August 8, 2016. These regulations did not alter the February 15, 2007 predicate date, set forth in Tobacco Control Act. For more information on these FDA regulations, please visit: www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/default.htm.
H.R. 2058 is currently under consideration by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. While I am not a member of that committee, please know that should this legislation reach the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.
In addition, you may also be interested to know that Representative Cole successfully offered an amendment to H.R. 5054, the Fiscal Year 2017 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, which would address concerns about the predicate date. Specifically, this amendment would prevent funding appropriated to the FDA for the upcoming fiscal year from being used to take any administrative or regulatory actions towards those “deemed” tobacco products as of the February 2007 predicate date. This amendment was adopted by that committee on April 19th, 2016 by a vote of 31-19. At this time, H.R. 5054 awaits consideration by the full U.S. House of Representatives.
As we continue our work in Congress, please do not hesitate to contact my team in Washington, DC at (202) 225-4315 or visit www.costello.house.gov to share your thoughts on legislation or policy impacting you. In addition, I encourage you to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter to stay up-to-date on what I’m working on each week in Congress. To receive future legislative updates on specific issues of interest to you, please click here.
It is my privilege to serve you in Congress, and I look forward to your continued input throughout my term.
Best wishes,
Ryan Costello

Member of Congress"

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Thank you for the post. You have a great Congressman representing you. This is the legislation I have been referring to over and over. And yes it is primarily a party-line issue. "This amendment was adopted by that committee on April 19th, 2016 by a vote of 31-19." That was a "party-line vote." To the extent you care about this, there is only one party that will help us out on this. So consider that this November when you vote.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The comment "please know that should this legislation reach the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind." says nothing of support, read it again and all you hear is blah blah blah.... this response was probably drafted by a staff member or a prepared statement form letter. I could be wrong though.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Of course it was written by staff, duh, that's why they have staff.
Heard! Jackswilling. She definitely will not back small tobacco business, seeing as how cigars played a big part in the dildo fiasco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The date change would be a courtesy, but it doesn't seem to change the overall impact much, unless I read it wrong. Likewise, I'm not hearing a lot of support here either. However, it does supply language and bill number that would be useful in writing a letter to Congress members. I'm having trouble coming up with leverage points that would resound with Congress. I know my issues, but not how they might be presented to give Congress pause. Some magic words might sprinkle some sand in their gears. There's some ageism here, since pipes have an older demographic. Medicinal use is a reach but might eventually come around. Civil liberties are there, but not conspicuously yet. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm. It has to click with them right away; imaginative doesn't help.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
"Of course it was written by staff, duh, that's why they have staff.
Heard! Jackswilling. She definitely will not back small tobacco business, seeing as how cigars played a big part in the dildo fiasco."
The party line line Jack was speaking of was not Hilary's. It was that bastion of personal freedoms, the Republican Party

Status
Not open for further replies.