PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmorgan

Lurker
Jul 1, 2017
Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum, but have been a casual piper for about four years. Recently, I have taken it up quite often and enjoy it greatly. I recently started using a Savinelli 315 KS, which came with 6mm balsa filters.
For those who might have experience with them, may I ask a couple questions?
Since the filters absorb so much steam and condensation, does it impact flavor?
Should I just chuck them out with the trash? Or change filters after every bowl until they are gone?
Please let me know your opinions and experiences.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can smoke them with or without filters. You can also get an adapter to take the place of the filter, and again it can be smoked with or without. Personally, I don't use them as I simply run a pipe cleaner through the pipe to clean after smoking and with the filter you have to disassemble after every smoke. Welcome to the forum BTW!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Welcome to the forum Sgtmorgan. As to filters, some use them and some don't, I think you should try smoking several bowls with and without a filter to see which you prefer. Many claim that the filters lessen the moisture and somewhat soften the smoke and others don't care for the restriction of airflow that the filters give. I don't care for them myself, but I think you should try them out to see if you prefer them, some even use them on some pipes and not on others. I can tell you that the Savinelli balsa filters do have quite a lot of fans though.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Glad the elders chimed in first, as I have nothing more to say than Welcome.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Try them with and without. I'm extra careful with earth resources, er, thrifty, —er cheap, so I take them out rinse, squeeze out and let dry. Then I ignore them, and smoke with no filter. I adjust the draw through tamping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can really suit yourself on balsa filters, or any other kind. Many pipes designed for 6 mm filters will take the balsa ones. Some buy the balsa at hobby shops and cut their own to the standard or any desired length. Many of the same pipes will take the no-filter adaptors similar to those included with Savenelli pipes, which can also be bought in packs of about five for not much at smokingpipes.com and other online retailers. Many smoke filter pipes with no filters, with no problem, if they don't mind that more open draw. So try various ways and see what suits you, which may be different for different pipes. Filters are one needless confusion for new pipe smokers. I tend not to use them, as they are one more thing to buy and keep up with. Also, I think their muting of the flavor, which they all do, tends to make you smoke more bowls, thus defeating the purpose. Filters may be a good idea for people who go to pipe shows or pipe clubs and smoke much more than they regularly do. A filter will spare you bad after taste or excessive nicotine intake.

sgtmorgan

Lurker
Jul 1, 2017
Thanks guys for all the wisdom and welcome! Yesterday I installed the filter-less adapter on my VA pipe and smoked a bowl of G-H & Co. Scotch Flake. That one will now be filter-less and the Scotch Flake is right up my alley. Now for my English Blend pipe :puffpipe:

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
Never cared for the filters but definitely try them! Others above have given the complete rundown. Welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.