PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
So I'm looking to start pipe smoking. I'm trying to stop smoking cigarettes. I'm going to be getting some peter stokkebye Virginia long cut blend, some quiet nights, mcclelland avenue blend 925 and pm pipe.
Now my main concern is about medico pipes. They are like $15-$20. I'm afraid that it will just be another cheap pipe. This is why I might just get a couple corncobs and learn the process then buy a pipe.
So could someone help me out with a good starter pipe and give me some opinions about the tobacco above. Thanks.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
The cob may be your best bet, but lots of us have learned on basket pipes and got along dandy.
Cheap pipes aren't necessarily cheap smokers in a negative way, some will do just fine.
If you're aren't sure pipe smoking will be for you, by all means keep your initial investment low.
You've picked some nice blends to sample and they should be great to learn the process.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I love old Kaywoodie's, and they can be bought fairly cheap on the bay.

However, they do require a light drag to keep the gurgle down, I smoke several bowls out of the same Kaywoodie pipe in the same day without cleaning, and never, ever get a gurgle, but a lot of people have to clean out a Kay. smoking the one bowl.
So you just might be better off with a cob as your first pipe to see if smoking a pipe is for you.

You can get one for a couple of bucks as you know, and cobs really do smoke very well, and I know a lot of people that have been smoking cobs for years, and have no desire to smoke a brier.

pseudonim

Lurker
May 19, 2011
Good advice here, I'd go along with the others, particularly if you are on a budget. Corn Cobs first, just to see if you can smoke a pipe, it's not for everyone as it requires a little patience at first and there is a bit of a learning curve. Then later, should you want to try a briar, may I suggest a "Peterson Aran" good quality and not very expensive.
Just remember, pipe smokers are humble men............ who are vastly superior to others.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
"Just remember, pipe smokers are humble men............ who are vastly superior to others".
Very cool indeed....made me laugh.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I own dozens of Medicos and yes, they are cheap pipes. I love them for that fact, not to mention that they are all excellent smokers. They are also filter pipes, accepting the 6mm paper filters invented by SM Frank in 1933. Personally I prefer smoking a filter pipe with a filter, but many folks don't. I would only suggest to get one that is stamped "briar", as they also make brylon pipes which are, well, horrible. I smoke one of those too, by the way. :crazy:

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I concur with romeowood. A medico briar is an excellent bang for your buck.

In my opinion it would make a much better starter pipe.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
I collect old medico's and other similar pipes. Find you an old one on the bay and it might just be a good smoker. But don't be surprised if it doesn't smoke great either. Its hit and miss

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I have 6 or 7 medicos from my Grandfather's estate. They are all good smokers. That's bout all I can tell you of them. not flashy or nice finishes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I tend to put new stems in Medicos because I hate filters. I find them to be good inexpensive (as opposed to the negative connotation of cheap.) affordable and all in all pretty decent.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Make sure they are not brylon when you buy them . They make a good pipe . You have to remember once PAD hits some of us gravitate twords higher priced pipes . Not better smoking per say , just higher priced .

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have a medico in my regular rotation its a nice light wiehgt briar with a big bore bowl. It smokes as nice as my other briars. I don't have a problem smoking a cheap pipe. Its a good starter if ya will.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't own any Medico pipes so I can't really say much about them. Except this; if you choose to get one, do like Romeo said and make sure that it is a briar one. I have never heard anything but bad things about the brylon pipes.
Another way you could go would be to spend a few dollars more and get a Dr. Grabow pipe. IMO they are a much better pipe for around the same price.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I can't speak for the U.S. line of SM Frank made Medico pipes, but I've got a pair of the Italian made Canadian versions in my rotation, and both smoke very well. The one thing I would suggest is looking at the thicker walled pipes (like the Conqueror), the thin wall lines (like the Varsity) get hot fast; not much of a learning curve before you've got briar burning.
As Bob has stated, Dr. Grabow's are also great low-end smokers - I particularly like the Omega line, although the wanna-be P-lip takes some getting used to.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have an estate Medico that I purchased from Marty Pulvers and it is a decent pipe. I'll agree with Bob though. I own a couple of new Dr. Grabow pipes and they are both fine pipes.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I have one Medico and its a pretty good smoker for the price. Though I'm in the Dr. Grabow camp for inexpensive pipes, I might be willing to try to get a few more Medicos in my rotation. Go with that.

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
So turns out I ordered an Apollo medico from pipes and cigars. Also got a corn cob. How is the tobacco selection I got? I've red good things about them in here. Well some. Not all. Should I watch out for anything?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I started out on a Medico briar with a filter. It provided many, many fine smokes. If I still had it,

it would be in my rotation right now. The Dr. Grabow's seem to be equally good entry level pipes too.
As for tobacco, before long you'll be on a never ending quest for that perfect blend, so just keep sampling. :lol:

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
check out "the smoker dot com"

mostly he has alot of estate pipes and a few new ones. i spoke with briefly this morning on phone and felt good about buying something from him.

has decent pictures with a dull lite green back drop so you actually see the pipe and not the reflective shiney glitter you see at other estate dot com's.

bought a stanwell natural estate for $35 and would make a super starter pipe for any one.

anyone else agree? or dissagree? feedback is good advice to take here. tons of life experiences to be able to rely on.

mod, if am out of line sharing this info in this way please let me know...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.