PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
IMG_20130301_161323.jpg

My new pipe arrived today. It's a hand crafted Woodstock made by a local artisan at Blakemar Pipes. The current owner, Mike, is the third generation to make pipes using traditional techniques. One of their most famous customers a was Douglas Bader - WWII Spitfire ace who flew multiple missions despite loosing both legs in a crash.
The pipe has a lovely balanced feel to it and the first bowl smoked like a charm. O happen to dislike bare briar bowls but these pipes are pre-charred on a red hot metal insert.
I hope to visit the workshop and show room on my birthday in May.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Long live the zulu!
I lent a pipe like that to my friend and havn't seen him or the pipe for a while lol
I hope he secretly got addicted to pipe smoking. :mrgreen:
Jolly fine pipe ya got there!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Nice looking pipe! Withnail, have you been gone for a while? I'm not a constant poster myself, but haven't seen you on for some time. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have been missing from the forum for a while. We had a load of internet issues and months of slow and bad connections. Now they have fixed the line I should be a regular here once again :)

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Great proportions between the bowl and shank/stem. Very pleasing to the eye. Can't see the grain in that pic but looks like a very well done classic shape.
!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's from his lower end range (£27 inc shipping) so the grain is a little faint. I am hoping to get one of their A Grade pipes for my birthday.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's from his lower end range (£27 inc shipping) so the grain is a little faint. I am hoping to get one of their A Grade pipes for my birthday.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. I also hope you can find a pipe you like for your upcoming birthday.

May 31, 2012
Your woodstock/zulu/yachtsman looks great, love the subtle curves, total proper proportions there!
hmmmm, I may just have to get me a Blakemar at some point, I've read many good things about them, there's a Champion sandblast lovat on offer now for around $75 which is super affordable.
I came across this guy who had a one-off design made according to his sketches and he requested a very craggy rustication. I love deep gnarled rustication such as this and I may request something similar if I ever get down to it...

0.jpg

0.jpg

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
My new Blakmar seems to smoke as well as it looks. I had a couple of half bowls of Dunhill Flake in it last night and, even though it's a brand new it draws like a dream.
I'm also impressed with his prices. Even the best straight grain retails for £100. The lower grades refer to the closeness and look of the grain and/or any fills. Even the cheapest are made with the same care and skill as the highest grade.
There are a few videos on YouTube showing how Mike works as well as some from customers filming their visit to his workshop. Discovering he is only 20 miles away is great for me!
Just to be clear - I'm a customer with no business connection with this pipe artisan.

Status
Not open for further replies.