PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
1) I was wondering if any of you that are clenchers have noticed an effect, or are concerned about a potential effect, on your teeth/bite.
2) Is there a consensus regarding match vs lighter, and if so, are there specific lighters preferred?
3) I've read postings about different woods for pipe bowls. Has anyone smoked any old style clay pipes? I think the old colonial era (churchwarden?) pipes with very small bowls were clay... what I have in mind is basically what is (I think) represented in my avatar (although, even though I chose an avatar, I don't see it on my screen)
4) I have my notifications settings set for receiving an email when someone responds to a post I made, but, so far, I have not received any email notification, even though 5 people have responded to an earlier post I made. Do I have something set wrong?
5) How do I private message somebody?
Thank you muchly (as my father would say)

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums! One thing you'll soon become aware of is that everyone has their own preferrence and way they like to do things. I don't clench my pipes except my cobs. Those stems are plastic and easily replaceable. I prefer a pipe lighter because I have difficulty keeping matches lit. I have a clay pipe that I smoke occasionally. It is a very nice smoke and they are wonderfully easy to clean. As to the ins and outs of the site though; they can be tricky. I've only sent a few PMs but you can only see them from the forum page etc. weird stuff like that. Hope you figure it all out and welcome...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking ipes for 43 years and have not had an issue with my bite. My dentist yells at me but so far no issues and I guess that's her job, like all health professionals.

I use matches for the charring light but go to my Zippo pipe lighter when I get down to business.

I don't know about the notification stuff but someone here will.

For sending PM's you can click on a members name and you'll have options like sending PM's or go to the membership site and find them to do the same.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I've never had any problems from clenching, and the best lighter to use when matches aren't an option are Djeep lighters they are much larger than bics and the flame can be adjusted, also if you are not familiar with how to hold a bic you will burn your thumb not with Djeep lighters they look different and don't blow the flame back on your hand. Don't know about the clay pipes or the notifications, and PMs are under the person's name in each thread it is blue and says send private message. Other than that welcome to the forum.

~Ron

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
Yes, as Roth points out, I've figured out the PM. When I first tried i wasn't logged in. Obviously I logged in to send a PM, but then it still didn't give me the option to send the message. I ended up getting out and coming back in, and that seemed to resolve it. I like getting emails because I'm lazy when it comes to navigating web sites - particularly ones that have large forum sections. (Part lazy, part time constrained - no offense, I like it here, but I probably won't spend every waking minute here) :)
Next question: Why a soft flame? I've had difficulty getting and staying lit with a soft flame, but when I blow-torched it with a grill lighter it worked great. Just curious.
Thanks all for the warm welcome
Walt

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Regarding the avatar photo, as I recall, you have to separately upload avatars for the main page and for the forum page. If you've only uploaded one for the main page, it won't show up on the forum.

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
I can't find anything in settings that specifies avatar for forums. Do you have any idea how to do this?

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
4dots and tbrad I found this on another thread. Posted by tamer291. It worked for me (thanks Tamer):
"Click on your user name under your current avatar in this posting. Then click on "edit this information". Then click on the "Avatar" link on the very upper right hand corner. Hope that helps."

erinrigh

Lurker
Sep 7, 2013
Like Teufelhund, I only clench my cobs, as the stems are easily replaced, clenching a churchwarden (you are correct in the term) could cause damage as the stem is long causing a pendulum weight making the pipe effectively heavier than it is. Furthermore, clenching an acrylic stem can crack the bit or lip of the pipe (found that one out the hard way with my Lorenzetti). Clenching any clay pipe can result in a mouthful of clay. As to effect on bite, never noticed anything except the occasional stiff jaw, and yellow teeth.
As to match vs lighter, I think that friction matches are a quaint idea that tried to replace the friction lighter (Zippo), and failed. They do not light better, they do not taste better, and they are certainly not more convenient (try using them on a windy day). That being said, don't use a torch as it may mar your pipe and as well, over-burns the lighting process and results in a sour smoke.
Clay pipes have been used to smoke since the dawn of fire, and the clay churchwardens of the colonial era, were actually public pipes used in smoking houses. The smoker would come in, select a pipe from a rack of clay pipes, dip the end in wax, then proceed to smoke it for the duration. When he (women didn't frequent those places, and indeed were forbidden in many) was finished smoking, he would break off the wax bit, and hang the pipe up for the next guy. When the pipe got too short or too resined to use, it was discarded and a fresh churchwarden put up in its place. As to woods, most pipes you will find on the market use briar for their wood, as it is very heat resistant, but any hard wood will do (I have a churchwarden made of white oak). If you do buy a briar churchwarden, something to be careful of is, when removing the stem from the shank, be careful to grab near the break as a torque on the stem could crack the tenon or the mortise (the parts that connect the stem (tenon) to the shank (mortise). I have a rack of early 1800s clay churchwardens (23 intact of 40) and tried them to see....not bad, but watch out for the heat.
Hope this helps,
Smoke em if you got em!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hey if you want notifications on posts to specific threads like this one you have to click the link at the top to add it to your favorites.
I clench but I use one of those soft rubber bits on all my pipes except a plip:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=142
Also I tend to use only matches as they usually burn at a lower temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.