PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Hey everyone, my father recently got me a Dr. Grabow Omega pipe as a gift cause he heard I was interested in getting into pipe smoking. Moving off cigarettes (as of a few weeks ago) and I don't like smoking cigars inside. Plus I hear pipe smoking is like beard fertilizer and mine's a bit patchy, for now... :roll: Anywho, just popping into introduce myself since I spent the last 2 days lurking on forums and YouTube. Cheers

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Thanks guys, ordered a 2nd pipe last night since, I need to fiddle with something while going about my business, and I gotta give this one a rest after each bowl. Got a Leonessa Briosa making its way to me in the mail, compliments of pipesandcigars.com .
http://pipesandcigars.com/lebrbecaruap.html
That one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome madmurdoc! That Leonessa Briosa looks like a cool pipe, and the price is right too! :clap:

You gotta let us know how they smoke. What kind of tobacco have you started out with?

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Actually, Dad doesn't smoke, just me. I wasn't there to go through the types of tobacco they had wherever they bought the stuff, so he let mom choose the tobacco since he chose the pipe. She picked up a 12 oz. bag of Smokers Pride Cherry Cavendish. But I'm going to order some Peterson's Irish Oak in the near future.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.

Any Peterson's blend is to any Smoker's Pride blend as prime rib is to the lowest grade of ground beef.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Welcome to ye, madmurdoc
I was looking at an Doc Grabow Omega before I purchased a Royalton:
31T-T2S02BKL.jpg

And it's one of my favorites
I used to smoke cigars about 9-10 years ago, spent a bunch of money on them actually over a couple of years. In my experience pipe tobacco is superior, in taste, variety and affordability.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Welcome! There's plenty of places to find information about pipes online buys here you'll get five people telling you five different things and there all right :p if you havn't checked out our sponsors yet you should there are some great ones! My personal favorite is pipesandcigars.com. They all have samplers and bundles that include pipes tools and baccy which are very great for beginners! Also don't limit yourself to just aro's if you have had cigars before then you might want to try something with more flavor.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I used to smoke cigarettes exclusively, then I started smoking cigars in Iraq, and ever since then whenever I had the chance to get a halfway decent cigar I would jump at it. But I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. The tobacco doesn't taste bad, it smells good, but I am planning on getting some better stuff soon.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
1) Props to your parents on getting you the starter kit!

2) Welcome.

3) We seem to have had a rush of bew forum members lately. You are my favorite. 4 posts and you already have an avatar! That's what I like to see people...avatars!!!
:puffy:

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Welcome Mad Murdoc! You can't go wrong with an Omega; I still have mine in my weekly rotation. Pretty darn good pipe.
"Plus I hear pipe smoking is like beard fertilizer"
Lies and propaganda, sadly. My beard, or lack thereof, makes me look like a eunuch! :rofl:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You've found a great place to stop by, brother. This forum has got to be one of the friendliest, most civil places you'll ever hang your hat and the moderators work damned hard to keep it that way.
The most important thing? Always remember that the dumbest question is the one that never gets asked.
You are among friends here.
Ask questions but don't be don't be surprised with the differing responses you receive. This joint is full of opinions. If you're ever in doubt and don't feel comfortable making a public post shoot out a Private Message or PM to a senior member or one of the mods. It's an excellent back channel communication tool and we all use it.
Welcome aboard, pard.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.