PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradcongo

Lurker
Jan 8, 2019
Hey guys! I am extremely new (as in only tried my new pipe twice). I’ve always been fascinated with pipes, but never really did anything with them. I finally decided to try it. I bought a briar pipe, and a sampler aromatic bundle. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos to try to get started (I don’t have anyone to show me things). So far, my two experiences have not gone well. I cannot keep the pipe lit for longer than a minute. I try not to over/under pack the bowl, I do a charring light, I tamp down gently, and still it won’t stay lit. I’m getting frustrated. Any advice for a very green new pipe smoker?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Perhaps you aren't puffing right. Try a slow, long puff each time. The pipe won't stay lit it you wait too long between each puff.
It may be that your tobacco is too moist and needs some dry time. Try that. What are you smoking?

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Dry your tobacco and pack it loosely. Hot tamp but not frequently. Relights are OK.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It takes time, like all good things. Don't feel discouraged if you don't get it right after 10 bowls: it's NORMAL.
I've been at it for 16 months and I still have to relight constantly.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
When I encounter overly moist tobacco, I like to spread it out on a plate for 15 or 20 minutes. Or longer if needed.
This should make for an easier and better sustained experience.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ll repeat Jim’s question: What tobacco are you smoking?
Aromatics are not the best choice for a new pipe smoker, IMHO. They are often times too wet with flavorings and chemicals intended to keep them moist (called “humectants”). This makes for “fresh” feeling tobacco, but also makes lighting and keeping lit difficult. It can also lead to tongue bite in the new smoker.
Other folks here will have good suggestions for a drier, less processed tobacco, including some that have some light flavoring. I’m a bit biased, but I think that John Cotton’s No. 1 would be a good starting point for the new smoker. It’s a Virginia/Oriental/Latakia blend (light on the Latakia) that ships at the perfect moisture content. But, as I said, others here will have good suggestions, too.
Go easy on the heat when lighting. Use matches or a soft butane flame held above the bowl without actually making flame contact with the tobacco. Draw slowly, sipping. The rest will come with time.
Enjoy!

Jan 8, 2013
I will just second what everyone above has already said. I'm also a big believer that aromatics (with the exception of a few) are not best for the new pipe smoker. Also. Forget all the different pipe packing techniques you may have seen videos of on Youtube and do this... simply add tobacco to the bowl until it's full, press it down just below the rim and light it. If the draw is too loose, tamp it down a bit and it will tighten up. Make sure you're tobacco has been dried well, especially if you're smoking aromatics. Lightly tamp the tobacco when you think you're losing your light. If it goes out, no big deal. Relights are normal even with veteran pipe smokers. Perfect smokes do happen, but are rare,

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
First of all...welcome to the forums. You have plenty of great advice and I can't really add anything else except...don't give up. It takes time. Keep asking questions.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Relights are OK.
This fact cannot be overstated enough and especially for a beginner; relights are more than just OK, they are your friend. In my opinion, if you are focusing too much in the beginning on keeping your pipe lit, you're liable to overheat both your pipe and your tongue. Follow the advice from ^these folks^: focus on smoking slow, the moisture content of your tobacco, finding your taste, and go one slow sip at a time. If it goes out, it goes out. Once you get a hang on your technique, the relights will get fewer and more time will elapse between each and the next, if you so choose, but they will also continue to be just fine.
I know that feeling, though, from the beginning, when you just really, really want it to stay lit; so you can just relax and enjoy your smoke. But it takes time, and the best way to get there is to relax first, before you even light your pipe, and not let any of the obstacles stress you out. It will get easier. Right now the frustration itself is your biggest obstacle. Let your frustrations slip away, let relaxation envelop the whole learning process, not just the seemingly unattainable goal, but where you are now. You'll never be in this place ever again, with so many doors opening and so many tobaccos to try for the very first time. Have patience, and before you know it, you'll be one of the veterans here, an old pipe-smoking codger with perfect technique, waving your stick at children and yelling for them to "get off your lawn". :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At that point, Kevin will send you a bag of Stonehaven, and the Patriarchy will start replying to your posts....
Much good advice above, and I'd only reiterate: dry your tobacco to what seems unreasonably dry before loading.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Don't overthink it. Watch Jason Dagners video from a couple of years ago. I'll look for it for you.
Here it is
https://youtu.be/-D1quo_NURk

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
What are you using to light your pipe? I too am pretty new to the hobby and when I first started I was also having a lot of problems and was using matches then I got a zippo pipe lighter and things got better. Dont know if it was the matches or I just got better at my packing/puffing technique. However I do still have relights but no where near the amount I used to. That 1st bowl with no relights was an awesome filling lol. Just keep at it and good luck.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t have anyone to show me things
Many of us didn't, and when I started, the internet was still far off. All the above is very sound advice, and don't worry about relights. There's a bit of a learning curve with smoking a pipe but in time it comes naturally.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Try tamping while you draw on the pipe rather than tamping between puffs.
Sometimes tamping a bowl that is right on the verge of going out will just snuff it out completely but gently tamping while simultaneously drawing fresh air through the ember invigorates it.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lots of good advice here for you already. As you can tell, we aren't adverse to answering questions around here. Getting the right smoke depends on a number of factors, most of which are dependant on you. What works for me might not work for you.
Relights are fine and part of the ritual.
Don't be discouraged!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll repeat the good advice others have already given. You might like to start with Carter Hall or similar over-the-counter tobacco. Dry out whatever you smoke, leave it in a shallow bowl for a day or two. Once you have drier tobacco, a match will light it just fine. You may prefer a lighter, but no need to torch the bowl; you just need a flame. For now, make a game of trying to get things started. Once you get it right, you will proceed up the learning curve.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Try tamping while you draw on the pipe rather than tamping between puffs.
Sometimes tamping a bowl that is right on the verge of going out will just snuff it out completely but gently tamping while simultaneously drawing fresh air through the ember invigorates it.
This right here is one of the best tips ever. Once I started doing this, things improved drastically. Small, light puffs while lightly tamping keeps things going nicely. And yes, relights are a fact of life. I’m averaging 2 to 3 relights a bowl now. Getting better. You’re first “perfect” bowl is a life changing event!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As some folks keep saying here,Dry your tobacco more than you think, pack lighter than You think,and smoke slower if you can,

I have to remember relights are ok myself, sure sometime relights may lead to some frustration,as for the undersigned, I'm averaging 1 to 2 relights, and I guess this minimal number of relights along with my careless packing are the main reasons I often have a bit leathery feeling tongue by the end of the day,so I ended up with conclusion, I must to learn to smoke slower,and not to worry bout relights

Be Welcome Sir,and Best Greets,

Status
Not open for further replies.