PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi Folks,
Not sure if the intent of this sticky is to post introductions here, or encouragement to start a new thread - but in any case, here I am!
My name is Rob, and I'm from Australia. I've been a lover of the leaf for half my life (currently 43 years old), however only very recently took up the pipe - and fell in love. I have been an avid collector and consumer of Cuban cigars, and travelled to various places around the world enjoying the wicked weed. I guess it runs in my blood, as my grandparents and parents had tobacco farms in Italy back in the 50's and 60's.
Fast forward to the last 12 months - and I've barely smoked a cigar (still bought plenty though!) - and been enjoying pipes almost exclusively for that time. There was a fair amount of frustration to start, but I've now settled in, and enjoying it fairly hassle free. Had a few grail smokes that blew mind...but far and few between as we all know..

As well as the love of the tobacco and blends available, the craftsmanship and beauty of pipes feeds my obsessive collector personality just nicely!! My credit card is yelling at me nearly as much as my missus :)
Blends I absolutely adore are GLP Chelsea Morning, Rattrays Old Gowrie, most of the non aromatic Dunhills, Mac Baren HH line. Fairly pedestrian, I know, but they really resonate with me.

Aromatic pipe tobacco is a bit like flavored cigars.... I still can't see the attraction.
I travel to the US semi regularly and would love to attend a pipe show one day soon.
I've really enjoyed the past couple of months lurking here (I've checked out most forums) and think that for the most part you are a good bunch of people, and I look forward to spending time hanging out with you.
Cheers.

Rob.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Welcome.
I have been too afraid to try a flavored cigar!
You'll fit right in with the reprobates and hermits here.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Welcome to the forum. Some fine blends you mentioned; not pedestrian at all. With thousands of blends to choose from find what you like, enjoy the hell out of it and not worry about the tobacco snobs. Glad to have you on board!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site Rob. It sounds like you belong with the rest of us who are obsessive, compulsive about buying pipes and tobacco. I smoke flake tobacco almost exclusively but I do enjoy a few aromatics from time to time. They can be fun and the people around you will most likely enjoy the room note. I was like you, a Cuban cigar junkie for many years. I am now pipes only. Here are a few flakes that you might enjoy.
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, Full Virginia Flake and St James Flake.

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Astleys no 44 Dark Flake

Capstan Blue Flake
I smoke indoors most of the time and I cube cut my flakes. When I smoke outside I will fold and stuff my flakes.
Here is a pic of my humidor at the height of my Cuban madness.

humidor2-450x600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
G'day, mate! Welcome. City lad, or country?
One of my favorite trips was to Sydney, Melbourne and Tassie, playing Royal Tennis and sailing. Recently watching many hours of the tennis open.
Your tobacco choices are hardly pedestrian- and hope you can stock up when you travel to the States. So far our taxes are merely punitive, not exorbitant.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Welcome Rob, I am a fellow Aussie based in Sydney. Great bunch of guys here for sure.
Yes, buy up on your trips to the US!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Welcome and I'm glad you found us and I too am a long time lover of the leaf. As are almost all of us I think. I've tried it in all its forms and am convinced the pipe is the best way to enjoy it.
I love Australia and was last there this time 2 years ago and looking forward to going back most likely at the end of this year. I have relatives in Melbourne which makes the trip far more affordable although the 24-hour flight from the UK is a real ball ache and I mean that literally. Anyway, I noticed that it's not smoker friendly there at all. They would not let me take more than 50g of tobacco into the country which was nowhere near enough for a month and I could not find pipe tobacco anywhere. I ended up smoking a lot of cigarettes which are even more absurdly priced than here. I still love the place. Actually, I think it's my favourite place which says a lot because I'm a Welshman.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Welcome to this forum. Nice guys and gals here. You'll like it.
Dame Edna Everage, and the always rigid, Sir Les Patterson.....two absolute gems from Land Down Under.
Frank

NYC

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great people and info here. Pipe shows provide a great way to meet fellow pipers and find great pipes and tobaccos. The Chicago show is the largest, but I highly recommend the West Coast Pipe Show held in Las Vegas in November. You can smoke most anywhere and the camaraderie is first rate!

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Very much appreciating the warm welcome guys.

I am a member of many online forums (yeah, I have some hobbies :) ) and this is the warmest welcome I can ever recall. Sincerely appreciated.
@cigrmaster

That is a brilliant humidor! If you've been around for any length of time, we have no doubt run into each other on one of the online forums! I haven't given up on the cigar interest, and never will, but as far as what I smoke day to day - they have taken a steady back seat to pipes.
@jpmcwjr

Small City lad.... Canberra in fact.

I'm not a fan of Sydney, but could easily make the move to Melbourne!
@anthony416

I semi regularly travel to Cuba, and it's nearly impossible to bring back to much. Our border security and Customs..... It's like the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan with how brutal they are.
@jazz.

You can bring in as much tobacco into Australia as you like - but they will charge duty on any amount over 50grams.

And they charge it at about $1000kg.

For you US folk wondering how much that is - that's about $400 USD per pound of tax. Payable immediately or goods surrendered.
@sablebrush52

Sir, I've really enjoyed your posts these past few months. I don't mean to 'piss in your pocket', however I've sincerely enjoyed your writing, messages and manner. Your humor makes me laugh too!
As chance would have it, I am actually going to be in the US in Novemmber, and was planning Vegas, Boston and NYC. Spending about 12 days in the US and then on to Cuba for a bi annual catch up with my cigar comrades from around the world. (the Partagas Festival) Yes, crazy I know. 40 hours of flight time each way to go to a cigar festival!

I'll definitely try and make it coincide with the pipe show in Vegas. Thanks for the heads up and advice.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome. I had a similar journey of cigar to Cuban to pipe (similar to Harris, Cigrmaster). I still enjoy my wonderfully aged sticks, but for the last 4 years it’s been a briar state of mind.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
rob,
Should you definitely decide to attend the WCPS, and should nothing happen to keep me from attending, like death or dismemberment, I'd love to meet up and share a bowl or two as well as introduce you to some of the miscreants fine folks who regularly attend.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum, Rob.
Harris, did you provide your full address while signing up for the forum membership? If not, please do.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome Rob.

I started out as a cigar smoker as well, and while I still enjoy a nice cigar from time to time the pipe has definitely taken a hold of me. I went from having about 10-15 cigars a month to now about 1-2 cigars a month. I've been mainly a pipe smoker for the past 4 years. It's easy to get PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder) and TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder), as it happens to most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.