PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Hello to all.
This is my first post, I hope to gain some knowledge here.
I've been a casual smoker for about the last 7-8 years.
I prefer a latakia mixture, but really have found very little non-aromatics that I dislike.
VaPer or Orientals are wonderful as well.
Joe

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Welcome!
I have been regularly on this site for a few months now since starting the hobby seriously and love it! Lots of info and advice. If you search for a subject there are often conversations about it too!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Lots of good info and opinion here, and some notable expertise on pipe carving, history, tobaccos, brands of pipes and tobacco, and much else. I have educated myself (to some small degree) with the knowledge and knowhow of members. They know information that would be difficult to track down any other way. Go slow and enjoy the ramble.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Welcome. This is a great forum. Great folks. Tons of info.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Welcome. A boatload of knowledgeable people here. The downside, of course, is that you read what others post about this blend or that blend and pretty soon you've got a very long list of things that you absolutely must try.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to the board! You'll find a very knowledgeable and friendly group of people here. Wilson is correct that this site breeds the desire to try new blends.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Welcome... you'll definitely gain some knowledge, we have some great people around these here parts. Iv been smoking for over 23 years and still learn new things from the nice folk here. :puffy:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm with Cobguy on this: what is your back story? Welcome and don't get offended if you get razzed a bit on the way. It is all in good fun (mostly)!
What are your experiences so far?

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Haven't been on the forums very long but it's absolutely amazing that the people here have managed to create a fine feeling of community and respectful attitudes. Hope you enjoy it!

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
cobguy, Spencer and all.
I live in MN,in in a small country township.

Married, 3 kids, and work as a designer for an automotive OEM co. (a commute to the cities)
I started pipe smoking about 10 years ago.

I inherited my grandfather's pipe collection from my uncle when he passed away. Seemed like a good idea to clean em up and smoke 'em. The idea stuck.
I had quit smoking cigarettes around 10 years prior, but smoked occasional cigars (hunting, yardwork, ice fishing, etc.)
I found that pipe smoking offered a lot more in it's experience. It had interesting history, offered an endless array of blends and mixtures to choose from. It was completely different in its purpose for me as well. It was about flavor.
When I was young, I smoked a lot of weed, and cigarettes, but never really was smart enough to slow down to enjoy the flavor, the experience was all about cause and effect. I quit both around age 30.

Fast forward about 5 years years the briar came along.
I mostly smoke latakia blends and prefer a oriental forward mix. I like 965, Squadron leader, and would consider them

all day smokes. Currently i'm smoking orilk GS, H&H blackhouse, McCellend Oriental, Squadron leader.
I hope to gain some knowledge about quality tobacco, orientals in particular, as well as syrian blends.
My fondest memories are of smoking a huge Ropp cherrywood around the fire while at deer camp. I will smoke a bowl

in the deer stand as well, most deer are coming from upwind anyway.
The newest experiments for me are mixing the right baccy with the right drink.

I like Golden slices with St. Dalfour green tea, and blackhouse seems to go too well with Four Roses single barrel bourbon.
I currently have the laborious task of discovering the perfect blend to accompany a good lager, then an ale.
Skol
Joe

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
As a secondary thought, I would like to state the obvious.
Black coffee goes well with the english blends of all ilk.
So the question becomes What coffee is best?
Dunn bros Nicaraguan goes well with 965, I also like to grind Starbucks Pikes Place.
Any suggestions for a good coffee bean to mix with 965 or Squadron leader?
Skol
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.