PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Went to the Apple store yesterday to unlock a new IPAD Air, saw a nice young man who was in his first yr of college. He set it up without passcode as this senile old man doesn't need that . Asked him his name at checkout, he said its Luke. I looked at him and asked You like Boiled eggs? Looking at me like I was crazy, my wife's look, I said you've never seen Cool Hand Luke? Shaking his head NO, I said the classic line. What we have here is a failure to Communicate. Swipeing my card I got extra money, balled a 20$ bill and when I shook his hand pressed it in his hand, he tried to draw back I took my left hand and wrapped it around his and quietly told him put this in your pocket. He looked at me strange and did so. It ought to be a law that everyone watches Cool Hand Luke.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Nobody can eat 50 eggs
3535gdy.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Now that was a cool-hand move Bradley!
I'm shocked that many "young people" (ie: under 30!) don't watch what I consider to be classic films, like Cool Hand Luke. My daughter and her fiance had never seen Fargo for crying out loud! Then neighbors next door had never seen "Good Fellas". Crazy.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My mom rented Goodfella's for us as a family movie when I was like 12 years old. I don't think she got the good fella's reference. Either way it's the coolest thing my mom has ever done probably.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Too cool, i loved helping peoples like you sir. I remember my biggest tip was a 100 bill. All i did was load this nice very old lady(had to be in the upper 90s seeing her car was an older very well kept Studebaker) car with 10bags of mulch and she gave me a hug. Went to put my gloves away in my vest pocket and there was a 100dollar bill. I looked back at the lady and she just smiled and said you remind me of my husband with that red hair of yours and the nice way you treated me.
I was dumb founded but she drove off saying thank you and keep it. I was just being polite.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So last night I asked my 29 year old son if he had seen the movie. He said "no."
I quoted a few lines from it and his response cracked me up. He said, " you used to say those things all the time when I was a kid... I didn't know what the hell you were talking about!"

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Too cool, i loved helping peoples like you sir. I remember my biggest tip was a 100 bill. All i did was load this nice very old lady(had to be in the upper 90s seeing her car was an older very well kept Studebaker) car with 10bags of mulch and she gave me a hug. Went to put my gloves away in my vest pocket and there was a 100dollar bill. I looked back at the lady and she just smiled and said you remind me of my husband with that red hair of yours and the nice way you treated me.
I was dumb founded but she drove off saying thank you and keep it. I was just being polite.
maybe she was hoping you would come over and help her unload them..
anyways, before retiring I would quote a line from Animal house, Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack, etc with the younger guys and just get a blank stare.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I'm sure everyone of your parents wish you would listen to there favorite radio show which of course is a million times better than what you grew up with. Once you take sentimentality out of the equation cool hand Luke isn't that great.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
"I'm sure everyone of your parents wish you would listen to there favorite radio show which of course is a million times better than what you grew up with. Once you take sentimentality out of the equation cool hand Luke isn't that great. "
Compared to the garbage of the last couple of decades, Cool Hand Luke is a Classic. Name one Fictional film of the last 20 years that might stand the test of time? I rest my case :wink:
Bradley, I too go to the Apple Store on Ambassador Caffrey Parkway when I need anything for my iPhone, iPod and iPad. I hope they don't start expecting tips. :)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
My 29 year old though the the "failure to communicate" line was from the Guns & Roses song "Civil War".....
Al, i am 29 (for a couple more weeks, lol) and that is the first thing that popped in my head as well. Generation gap? I think that's what it is, bc i haven't seen it either.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Yay! I'm the rare young guy that HAS seen it. I saw it for the first time 2 years ago. One of my favorite movies!
"Sometimes nothing is the best hand"

It is an interesting idea for a film. Not many movies used the anti-hero in the same way before this. A guy who refuses to do what he is told, does only what he wants in his own way, is stripped of his rank in the military, thrown into civilian life, where he destroys public property, where he is thrown into prison, to disobey everyone who tries to tell him what to do, where he is tortured to no effect, and eventually shot and left to die in the back of a squad car, and yet the audience applauds this. Where every thing the main character does causes himself and people around him pain and misery, but everyone also applauds his audacity.
I think it is one of the best movies of all time. We all want to be like him, but we don't want the misery that follows. Yes, yes, a failure to communicate :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.