PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
To whom it may it may concern -
James Fox's have given their tin art a facelift and introduced three new blends - Anniversary (an aromatic), Campanile (an English) and Honeydew Flake (a Virginia which I assume from the name has some sort of honey topping). They're a fairly niche producer so it might not be of interest to many, but I suppose there's no harm in spreading the word.
(By the way, this is not an ad!)

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have never tried their blends. From time to time I think about getting a tin of the banker's. I think it is a cigar blend.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
You're correct that Bankers is a cigar blend. I haven't tried it but I've heard generally positive reports.
I tried to resist the call of TAD, but I succumbed today and picked up some of the Honeydew Flake. I'll throw up a review of it once I've had a few bowls.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love the Fox shop in Dublin, wonderful gentlemen. I will have to try the Honeydew, I didn't know they were releasing one. Campanile has been around for a while, I've been smoking it since 2000-2003ish, whenever Fox started being more heavily distributed in America. Campanile is an awesome VA/OR, just be careful, if pushed it can go from a great pipe experience to Camel in a pipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Dryseason:
Don't assume that a blend named Honeydew will actually have honey in it. (Honey would likely yield a very hot smoke, as it is virtually all sugar.)
Historically, English/Irish-style "honeydew" blends have been matured Virginias sweetened lightly with molasses. McClelland's 221B: Honeydew is a very good example of this style. It's still very much in the non-aromatic camp, though. (As was the long-gone Rich Dark Honeydew from Gallaher's.)
That said, some honeydew blends apparently do include a touch of honey. McConnell's Honeydew apparently does. And it's possible that Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew does as well, although I have no experience with either of these blends.
So, it's possible. But I wouldn't go by the name. (And I've certainly never heard of a honeydew that was actually flavored with honeydew melon. Although I guess it's possible that someone has tried that at one time!)
Do let us know what you find out once you actually pop the tin and have a few bowls!
Bob

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@lochinvar
It's a great spot alright, it's like my dream job to work in there amid the perfume of fine smoking-leaf and the light reflecting warmly off the briars...
Bob,
Thanks for the info, hadn't known any of that! I do seem to get a bit of honey - not particularly sweet, more of a dark chocolate character - from the tin note, but that could just be auto-suggestion. Anyway, the proof is in the puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.