PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm steadily building a small collection of pipes (and tobacco). One marque that I hadn't purchased yet was Peterson. I was thinking of purchasing new - but I've read some concerns with new Petersons in my price range. So I ended up purchasing an estate. It arrived clean and sanitized (for the most part), though it wasn't clean enough or sanitized enough by my standards. An hour or so of work, and it's now quite a nice pipe. Chamber walls are sound. It had been reamed very carefully and skillfully, and for the price I paid, I now have an extremely clean specimen.
But would I like the System and the P-lip?
Yes to both.
The System works as it's supposed to. Nary a gurgle. Smoked extremely cool with its first bowl of Gaslight. And the P-lip? Quite honestly, I really couldn't tell that much difference between a fishtail and this. I like the P-lip just as much as any other bit that I have so far.
So I'm thinking there may be more Petersons in my future - and perhaps another System and P-lip.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
That's a handsome pipe sir. I am also looking to add a Peterson to my collection. What price range should I be looking in to get one in that condition? I've been watching them on fleabay, they all seem to sell for around $60-$arm and a leg. Does that sound commensurate with your findings?

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
That's a handsome pipe sir. I am also looking to add a Peterson to my collection. What price range should I be looking in to get one in that condition? I've been watching them on fleabay, they all seem to sell for around $60-$arm and a leg. Does that sound commensurate with your findings?
You're right in the price ballpark. New they go for around twice that, and I was a bit concerned with some of the QC issues I've read about. This one came from a reputable estate dealer, and I'm pleased.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-lip which I like very much -- a Killarney Rhodesian 999 in deep dark reddish brown -- but one

is enough. I am attached to the fishtail bit and have that on all my other pipes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - that is a beauty. I am a big fan of Peterson pipes. The new ones have issues but honestly they are not nearly as bad assome think. Most of their new pipes are excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.