PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thanks to a really great guy i met here, ill keep his name out of it, but Spartan :D sent me a couple pipes, and an oz of Larry's blend. says its a balkan. The pipes were great. I'm almost in shock. I didn't think people just Gave stuff away out of the kindness of their heart, but here I've ran into several. THANKS SPARTAN, YOU DA MAN BROTHER. I opened this bag of Larry's blend, gave it a sniff, and the note was different than anything I've ever smelled. A smokey smell that is pleasant to the ole nostrils. Different, but nice. Needless to say i scrambled to pack a bowl and enjoyed my first smoke of the day!!! Great stuff. Way different than any other 'baccy I've enjoyed. Easy on the tongue too. I'm not refined enough to go into details, but it was great. Like having a big Red after drinking sprite all the time :lol: So i Googled balkan for some insite, and what gives it the sweet, smokey tast and became even more confused. Seems the entire pipe smoking community have different definitions of a balkan. What do you think???

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have thought about this in detail, since I smoke a lot of latakia based blends. I think it's important to remember that terms like "English blend" and "Balkan blend" are as much marketing terms as anything else. The term "English blend", for example, is not used in the UK.

When I think of a Balkan blend, however, I think of a blend where savory condimental tobaccos from the Balkan peninsula or Turkey are pretty much in balance with the latakia, as far as flavor goes. If the latakia flavors - that smokey,leathery taste - is more predominant, I think of it as an English blend.

You might find it helpful to smoke two blends from the same company and compare. Sam Gawith makes Squadron Leader, which is a classic middle-of-the-road English, and Balkan Flake.

I really don't worry about the distinction much, though - I like 'em both!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I tried to figure all this out too...finally just decided to smoke what I like don't smoke what I don't like.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
I've been digging the hell out of Frog Morton and Frog Morton OTT so I think I'm gonna try FM On the Bayou which I believe is labled as a Balkan blend.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yea... I definitely dig the stuff i got today. so is it the latakia that gives it the smoky leathery note? I'm very intrigued. While i was searching balkans i kept running into orientals thrown in the mix. What are they all about?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
One of our resident experts, Master Pease in this case, wrote an excellent article a while back about what Englishes, Balkans, Danish, etc.. blends are all about. Russ, our second resident expert, gives even more information in his article about tobacco blending
Here's is what I understand from it (and I'm not an expert), so I would suggest to read the article:

English: A mixture without any artificial flavorings due to old British Empire purity laws. May (or may not) contain Latakia, Izmir, etc. Although most people nowadays would say that if it doesn't have Latakia it's not an English ;-) Usually Virginia Based.

Danish: A mixture that usually does contain some flavorings. Usually more Burley

American: Given that most tobacco originally on this side was Burley and some Virginia's, usually comprised of this.
Balkans & Orientals: Are not blends but tobacco types. Although, once again lately, Balkan "blend" is used to refer to those "English blends" that have a more pronounced Latakia or Oriental side to it than the traditional English.
Confused ? Yeah.. join the club...But hey.. as long as it smokes good and you like it.. call it what you want :rofl:

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I too am new to the pipe and seem to prefer the blends containing Latakia.

From my limited experience a little Perique thrown in does not hurt.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
Perique is good stuff. I recently tried Davidoff's Flake Medallions which are really good.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I had jacked my last post up by v ing something from last night by accident in the middle of the post. i fixed it. lol You probably thought i was nuts. :rofl: oops. I haven't read the posts below it so I'll do that now and respond accordingly.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ok. Thanks Mick.. Great post as always. I'm leaning toward your school of thought Chris. The only tobaccos i have not liked are cigarette tobacco. Yuk, and Middletons "fire from hell" I mean Cherry Blend... What was it blended with?? Formaldehyde??? My lord. And will and Berg, I have no idea what latakia and Perique are like alone, but have smoked both in blends.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
The flake medallions are blended with perique, black Cavendish, and Virginia.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you liked Larrys and the complexity, then the next stop for you is H&H Magnum Opus. It'll rock your world! Welcome to the dark side! Also, if you like the big flavor aspect. GL Pease Sextant has a big WOW factor and will blow your mind in a number of ways. Both of those blends seem like they give you a new smell or flavor with every puff!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I'd have to honestly say that if this is what "darks" are all about... Then im leaning toward them. I just packed a bowl of Mac Barens "Dark Twist" and it's bland in comparison. I'm going to finish the bowl, but I will be ordering something like Larry's today. So what is the absolute best "dark" Baron???

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gotta remember, Dark Twist is a Virginia. Totally different critters, Virginia and burley blends.
There is no absolute best. The absolute best is the one you like the most. I can't even tell you what mine is, because I want a different blend depending on my mood. :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The darkest of the dark so far in my Smoking Career has been Penzance. Powerful leaf. :puffy:
If Pepe Le Pew smoked a pipe it would be Penzance only.
Which makes sense cause Hobbie goes banannas over the stuff. It's an aphrodisiac. lol

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yea, the penzance was gone in hours. I'll have to trade for some... what about Hearth and Home Obsidian? I'm ordering some if i don't get a response soon. I posted a topic asking about it but nada:( I'm goint to try to find a review. Its black as black. I like the way you think Jud. SAo as for now it's Larry's blend!!!! I'm sure it will change.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
To me it is and so far always will be H&H Black House. I tried it, not really expecting much after the mighty Magnum Opus and it ended up being my all time favorite. Here's a link to the review I wrote. It's the top one on the page called "I Bleed Black" if that tells you anything.
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth-and-home-marquee-black-house

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Baron, it wasn't you who told me about the BALKAN SOBRANIE. It must have been someone on here though or elsi i would have never came up with it. Crap mab. i would have just saved my self the trouble, and chance of that Bulkan Supreme if i would have just got to this earlier. I have something listed on ebay, so if it sells I'm getting the Black House. Thanks brother!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.