PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Man what a blend! I never had the original but this stuff is great, very smoooth all the way to the bottom. about halfway through the bowl the perique steps up a little, not too much but just enough. I havent been this satisfied with a blend since the first time I had nightcap and it will definitely be apart of my regular smoke. I highly recommend picking some up.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Do you know if dunhill has any say in the blend or does orlick do it all and slap a dunhill sticker on it?

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I was in the same boat as you reading the mixed reviews but I was in a b&m yesterday that had it so I thought I would give it a shot.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Back in the day i wouldn't have doubted it but the stuff I've read about dunhill lately as far as management goes makes me question it. I'm not complaining because orlick knows what theyre doing I was just curious.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tin and want to age it a little, but this doesn't make it easier to do that.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the notice I'm in the same boat as everyone else I want to get some, but haven't heard enough about it to justify buying some yet.

~Ron

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
As a very fresh pipe smoker, as in two days. I smoked my first bowl on my new pipe with this brand. It was enjoyable and really a confirmation that I made the right choice to switch from cigars.
The Elizabethan was really rich and I was a bit surprised by the nicotine kick it had. I do believe the nicotine kick was made a bit heavier by greedy smoking and over eagerness and I am going to enjoy taking my time with this tin and seeing how my experience and thoughts change.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I can't get enough of the Elizabethan. I smoke it all day, every day, and this is one of the blends that I am very surprised that I like. There is an earthiness that I just can't pinpoint, and all of the other smokers that I meet up with I tell them they need to try it. I am to the point where I am worried when I run down on tins, and panic and order a whack load more. As many smokers that haven't tried the Murray version, I really couldn't care less... you can't get the old stuff anymore, and the new version suits my palette just right... It's a good thing the old version isn't available because I would hate to try that version and fall in love with it, only to find it's impossible to get.

Elizabethan version 2.0 is fine just by me, and this is one blend I automatically grab for when I want to assure a yummy smooth and creamy smoke. In fact, just grabbed three tins from my cellar for a week in Cuba and a week in Vegas.
Shutterbug

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
There is an earthiness that I just can't pinpoint, and all of the other smokers that I meet up with I tell them they need to try it.
True story. Shutterbug was emphatic about his love of this blend last weekend. Man, Dunhill should be paying you for your word of mouth marketing campaign! :lol:
Have a great trip.
-- Pat

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've been waiting for an Elizabethan thread to pop. I ordered a tin with my last stock up and finally opened it. My biggest regret was not opening it sooner. My everyday smoke is C&D Three Friars but I look forward to loading up Elizabethan when I get home from work. I have never had the pleasure of sampling the Murray's version but, as stated above, I don't care. This one is great. Just strong enough to satisfy a cig smoker in the midst of kicking the butts. I plan on ordering more and more of this blend.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Just when I finally felt (somewhat) satisfied with the selection of tobaccos I've been smoking, you guys have to go and rave about another one. You're killing me here, people!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a tin on route based on Shutterbug's review at our meet and greet. Can't wait until it comes in. Along with a tin of dunhill flake, 2 tins of OGS, 2 tins of three nuns and another tin of BBF. Can't wait to try the Elizabethan mixture!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Roth, having no experience with the original three nuns I have to say I am loving the current versio. I gget a definitive plum/fig smell from the tin. I find it easy to pack and I rub out the small coins for my prep. When I smoke it I get a bit of a peppery kick from the dark fired kentucky. I find it to be a mellow but rich smoke that I thoroughly enjoy. For the risk of being labelled as a blasphemer, I have to say I actually enjoy this more than Capstan Blue, which I also really enjoy. Everyone I have given a sample to seems to really enjoy it and the room note is a hit as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: the new Three Nuns is good and I do recommend it. It's not as good as the VaPer version, and I consider it to be a very different blend now, since the tobaccos used are not the same. As you may know, I was sent eleven tins of various MacBaren products to review, Three Nuns being one of them. I'm about a week away from posting my reviews of those blends, and will create a new thread for it. While I am disappointed that the new Three Nuns isn't like the old, it is good on its own merits as currently produced
As for the Elizabethan, here's what I wrote that you referenced so that others who missed it may read and judge for themselves:

"Well, I'm disappointed because I'm comparing it with the old version, which I regularly smoked. This is now a shag cut and not ribbon cut as the Murray's version was, which changes the burn rate and the taste to some extent. It does taste fairly similar, but the old version had a little more perique and broken pieces of bright yellow Virginia. I'll even go so far as to say I think the Dunhill Elizabethan Match, while not quite the same as the Murray's, tastes a little more like it than this new version does. Maybe 80-85% so.
On it's own merits, the new DE is decent, but I think the tobacco is young and needs aging. It tastes sort of similar to the old, but burns faster because of the shag cut. If you never had the original and like VaPers that are relatively smooth and mild, you'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.