PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
After 3 visits to a 2nd hand store I finally struck pipe gold. I enquired after tobacco pipes and the store guy said they had a big pipe in the front counter, after a close inspection, I purchased it.
It was looking much rougher that shown in the photos and I wasn't sure how well it would clean up. I was pleasently surprised that it turned out so well. I cleaned it well and treated the bowl with salt and alcohol, wiped on a coat of red leather dye and hand polished with homemade beeswax polish. This evening I will smoke a bowl of Peterson Old Dublin in it and consider if the restoration was worth the effort.
Does anyone know when the Peterson Box it came in was used, maybe 70s or 80s?
f9vWQe5.jpg

Ir7PYZ4.jpg

liOddUB.jpg

iXe98XN.jpg

xKljJHA.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I love churchwardens and I love my Petersons... not sure why I haven't picked up a Peterson churchwarden yet. Yours is quite nice! Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a great restoration. My churchwardens are reserved for cold Winter nights when everyone in the house is asleep and I can pair a churchwarden with a good book.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Man ... the exact pipe (less the box) was available on a local website a while back. The seller listed it as a Republic of Ireland pipe, in fact he was right but more exactly it was a Peterson. I watched and watched the item, but like brassmonkey I couldn't figure out (from the pics in my case) if it could be cleaned. That one had such a oxidized stem that it was straight light brown. The bowl coating turned dark, though it had the same rustication. Now that I see this post I am almost sorry I didn't take the gamble ..

Status
Not open for further replies.