PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Nothing great about getting a new corn cob pipe, except done my way. I have a handful of these pipes and enjoy smoking them, almost. Darn filters! I pull them out, change them often, it just doesn't smoke to suit me. I have made adapters to replace the filters. Today I called the Missouri Meerschaum Company and placed an order for a cob the way I want it. What a pleasant lady that helped me with details. COUNTRY GENTLEMAN BOWL BENT WITH PONY/EATON STEM AND SLIM BLACK BENT BIT, VERY SLIGHT BEND. The draw hole is to be reduced down and the stem hole reduced also. Anyway I'm looking forward to it.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
If you're getting rid of the filter, you're doing all the right things for your custom one. Good luck!

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
I use the 8$ filterless bit from aristocob, and they smoke awesome with it.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
The MM Patriot has became my almost exclusive smoking pipe, I even smoke aromatics in it, the horror! :eek: :puffy:

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Just received an email this morning, my corn cob is on its way! Pictures posted soon.

@stoker - I have tried for years to restrict the airflow in these cobs. What I find if the hole in the bowl and the hole in the stem are not matched, I have a lousy smoking pipe. Now that is just me.

Also, I am not as refined as you folks on here. After about 56 years of smoking a pipe, I stuff tobacco in it, light it, poke my finger down on top of the tobacco as I draw, adjust the pipe to a comfortable position and smoke! If I want another smoke, dump the ash, refill, light up and move on. And I do enjoy good tobacco this way also. When I sit back and relax with a pipe, same way, stuff it and smoke it. See, I said I wasn't refined! I do smoke one way when working and a little different when laid back. All the old geezers I grew up around were pipe smokers with this method. Right or wrong? Works for me.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Congrats on the new cob man! I love mine. I guess I must be the odd ball. I used to smoke my cobs with the filters removed, now I always smoke them with the filters in. Got a pack of 120 medico filters from the good folk at 4noggins.

I'm also a south paw so maybe that explains why I'm weird.

No, don't go there...

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I'm going to have to give the cob a try again. I had a Gentleman and smoked it withe the filters and then with a forever stem. Then I tried a briar pipe and I was hooked. There are more CC options out there now.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Wow ... this thread got me to pause in daydream mode for a few minutes ...
I've been thinking about calling Missouri Meerschaum to see whether they'd build some "custom" pipes for me. I wasn't sure if they'd do this. I don't mind the open draw of the filtered pipes with the filters removed, but I like the long unfiltered stems they make better than the ones that hold filters.
You've inspired me! I think I'll be calling them soon. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forever stems will turn a filter pipe into a non-filter and improve the durability of the stem to acrylic. Also, their freehands have acrylic stems that impart the same benefits and don't have filters. Cobs are not throw-away pipes. They can last many years and decades. Not invariably, but often. They give an excellent smoke, and seem especially fine with some of the old style burley blends. Missouri Meerschaum are classics, but Old Dominion makes wonderful historically correct reed stem cob pipes that are not to be missed, at totally comfortable prices. Just don't dis your cobs. They are superb pipes and the fact that they are the least expensive among pipes in no way diminishes them; Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion pipes are treasures. Rotate them with anything else you have, the finest of factory pipes or superb artisanal pipes. They will do you proud. And don't give their down-country look a second thought. They go just fine with bib overalls or a tux, or anything in between.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I stuff tobacco in it, light it, poke my finger down on top of the tobacco as I draw, adjust the pipe to a comfortable position and smoke! If I want another smoke, dump the ash, refill, light up and move on.
Sounds good to me. Practical and low stress.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
For the new cob, what type tobacco and why? Just for the first few bowls, than to my normal stuff.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Most cob lovers will agree that Carter Hall goes really well.

You MIGHT try some of the blends Russ Oulette developed especially FOR cobs.

Go to the pipesandcigars website and look for Missouri Meerschaum tobacco.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I see the Dagners also got their own brand of corn cob pipes, sold out already...

Status
Not open for further replies.